Does anyone have trouble getting accurate BPs in the back of the ambulance?

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
I usually steal my partner's stethoscope - a Littman. Boy is he grateful I'm getting one for Christmas.

-Kat

mikie

Forum Lurker
I often bring my own BP and steth. I don't trust the $5 ones that the company provides us.

so even as a 'newbie,' i won't look bad (not that it's the 'looks' when its the pt's vitals that matter) / like a whacker?

mikie

Forum Lurker
so even as a 'newbie,' i won't look bad (not that it's the 'looks' when its the pt's vitals that matter) / like a whacker?

let me rephrase:

If I brought my own steth., I'm not going to look foolish or be 'looked down upon' because I'm new and only a basic?

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
About half the people in my company use the ones that are provided. Personally, I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. They're out there for everyone to use, so they most people don't take care of or clean them. Please, don't ask what I found when I cleaned them.

Like I said earlier, I use my partner's stethoscope (mainly because he knows I will take care of it) and am getting my own for Christmas. It's a good tool to own, because you be able to practice with it and become better at listening to lung sounds, BPs, that kind of thing.

-Kat

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Just be careful. If it's a really cool one it better have your name on it.

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
try watching the needle on the BP cuff, I work in an area that covers quite a bit of highway so at times at an MVA it's hard to hear but watching the needle helps a lot.

skyemt

Forum Captain
try watching the needle on the BP cuff, I work in an area that covers quite a bit of highway so at times at an MVA it's hard to hear but watching the needle helps a lot.

actually, you can get false readings by just watching the needle...
bp auscultations are not accurate unless you hear the kortikoff sounds.

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
well, I'm saying it helps, if you can hear a bit and combine that with the needle you can get pretty accurate

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
well, I'm saying it helps, if you can hear a bit and combine that with the needle you can get pretty accurate

Sorry, that is just incorrect. What you are seeing is pulsations of the artery or even contractions of the muscle and any movement. Again, let's just stick to performing it correctly.

R/r 911

Nocturnatrix

Forum Probie
it could be your stethoscope.... some of them are really hard to hear anything from!

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
"Tis a poor workman who blames his tools"

thowle

Forum Crew Member
Remember, blood pressures can be taken at any pulse point. I personally use the forearm and the wrist on obese, I have better luck of obtaining an auscultated B/P, and again document such (radial B/P) which the values will be different.

That's something good to remind yourself -- I never really though that far ahead into that, I can sure see how that would come in handy.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Like everyone said, practice. Bare in mind that even seasoned providers know that the "P" on the gear shift works just as good as the "D". I have no problem pullin that bad boy over. I've even been known to turn ALL the environmental noise off a time or two. As in: AC, Sx, turn the flush NRM down to 15 L/M. Rado - off. Turn the whole damn truck off if need be.

The thing is, yes, you need to get your skills down pat. EVERY skill. Basic skills. Even the skill of thinking outside the box.

I don't mean to be rude. On the contrary, I'm concerned FOR you. Going from Basic school to finishing medic school in a year tells me you have NO experience. That's the one thing that cannot be taught. Practice, practice, practice until you're blue in the face and then practice some more.

The best medics have strong basic skills.

Good luck.

disassociative

Forum Captain
I could not live without my Littman.

Anyways, unlike airways, and IV's--this is a skill you can practice at home. Practice taking pressures on your friends and family members. Some people have good pulses; others you have to really listen for; practice, practice practice.

Tip: Ask your medical/ER director at a local facility if you can spend a day in the
emergency room taking vitals. There is no shame in needing a little practice;
I still seek every learning opportunity I can get. Ask your partner if they
have any tips to offer; I'm sure they would be more than happy to help you.

cakilcrease

Forum Probie
they make stethescopes for the hard of hearing where the pressure is more amplified... they are more expensive but worth it