Correct way for a blood pressure

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Yea there are a few methods although I think this one is the best:

Unless you have like a 2 minute drive to the hospital, take the time to take a full blood pressure using a stethoscope. Even better, if you have a monitor that can do that, why not. Of course both methods are more effective when not in motion.

How much longer does it really take to get a "full" blood pressure on someone than to palp it?

To the OP, get good at doing BPs in the classroom now, it is harder in an environment with a lot of ambient noise, no matter how nice of stethoscope you have. A was said, perfect practice makes perfect.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
There are alot of different ways to take a BP. In class I was taught to pump it up slowly and go 20 above the last time I heard a beat. Out on the field I automatically go to 200. If I still hear it then I pump it up more (if I'm on a BLS unit then I call for ALS. We can't transport with a systolic above 200).

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
Oh boy... Automatic cuffs can give you a reading that makes sense even when the pt's BP is off the charts! I'm trying to think of a situation that I would forgo a manual and I'm having trouble thinking of one!
You can always trust manual. Automatic, not so much.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

I don't always trust manual. The back of the ambulance can get really loud and bumpy making you misread the gauge. And there are some EMTs that I don't trust taking a BP.

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
I don't always trust manual. The back of the ambulance can get really loud and bumpy making you misread the gauge. And there are some EMTs that I don't trust taking a BP.
I was assuming you have a fair shot at getting the manual.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

I've only seen a handful of automatic BPs that made me stop and either hit the button again or take a manual. Other than that, I trust my $30,000 monitor and its features. (except for the 12-lead interp, but if you really listen to that you have bigger problems.)

Like boingo said, if it's good enough for the ED why isn't it good enough for EMS? When I hear "120/80" out of anyone's mouth I don't trust it unless it's someone who I know or I trust them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
I've only seen a handful of automatic BPs that made me stop and either hit the button again or take a manual. Other than that, I trust my $30,000 monitor and its features. (except for the 12-lead interp, but if you really listen to that you have bigger problems.)
Sadly, many machines don't take the proper Blood Pressure, and I always take a manual for the initial, or the first few times. It gives me a decent baseline of what their blood pressure should be.

Like boingo said, if it's good enough for the ED why isn't it good enough for EMS? When I hear "120/80" out of anyone's mouth I don't trust it unless it's someone who I know or I trust them.
Many times in the ER, we initially take the BP manually, then follow up with automatic. It is fine for EMS, just depends on the machine and the person.