Correct way for a blood pressure

emergancyjunkie

Forum Crew Member
When doing a blood pressure why would you inflate the cuff to 70 mmHg check for a radial pulse and continue inflation until no pulse is felt

Sent from my Desire HD

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
Because in order to get the most accurate reading from the cuff, one has to pump it usually to 30 mm Hg AFTER the pulse is diminished. And just for the record, you already have your stethoscope on the brachial pulse, you should be able to hear it diminish from there.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Usually if you just inflate to about 160 or 180 you can start listening from there.

If you hear something right away inflate more to about 220 and try again.

If you are auscultating you don't need to palpate.

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
Yea there are a few methods although I think this one is the best:
Usually if you just inflate to about 160 or 180 you can start listening from there.

If you hear something right away inflate more to about 220 and try again.

If you are auscultating you don't need to palpate.

Unless you have like a 2 minute drive to the hospital, take the time to take a full blood pressure using a stethoscope. Even better, if you have a monitor that can do that, why not. Of course both methods are more effective when not in motion.

VCEMT

Forum Captain
I just wrap the cuff on the pt.'s arm or leg and press the "NIBP" button on the monitor and go about my business. Depending on the type of call, I'll set it to automatically cycle.

Anjel

Forum Angel
^^

*facepalm*

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
I just wrap the cuff on the pt.'s arm or leg and press the "NIBP" button on the monitor and go about my business. Depending on the type of call, I'll set it to automatically cycle.
You don't take manual BP's ever ?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Yeah, when on a BLS engine, technical rescue, or MCI.

You do take manuals on those, or you dont?

Either way, it makes no sense.

Roman506

Forum Probie
On our medic truck we keep a automatic bp cuff. But, none of us that normally work on it even uses it except for the pulse ox. We all prefer to do it manually.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We take our first BP manually. Then they go on the NIBP on the monitor. If we get a number that makes no sense we will take another manual.

They aren't as terrible as some think. Are they as accurate as a manual? Probably not, but that also depends on the provider.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Correct way for a blood pressure?

Art Lines. enough said...

That wasn't really applicable to the question asked now was it?

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
That wasn't really applicable to the question asked now was it?

Nope, neither is the rest of the thread comparing automated to manual.

Though I agree with you in regards to starting with a manual and switching to automated. After an initial BP you are only trending so minuscule variations aren't significant.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Nope, neither is the rest of the thread comparing automated to manual.

Though I agree with you in regards to starting with a manual and switching to automated. After an initial BP you are only trending so minuscule variations aren't significant.

Fair enough :)

I do agree with you about art lines in the definitive care setting such as a CCU.

OP
OP
emergancyjunkie

emergancyjunkie

Forum Crew Member
Well I'm a student right now so I can only use manual besides as much practice I can get doing manual bp the better in the long run

Sent from my Desire HD

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
Well I'm a student right now so I can only use manual besides as much practice I can get doing manual bp the better in the long run

Sent from my Desire HD

Don't know if it is required/suggested in your class, but take as many BPs on as many different people you can.

(perfect) practice makes perfect.

OP
OP
emergancyjunkie

emergancyjunkie

Forum Crew Member
That is very true I'm currently taking my familys bp friends bp and when we practice patient assessment on my "patient"

Sent from my Desire HD

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
I always take a manual, however I don't have another option, FWIW, I have yet to see an emergency department at any of the facilities I transport to use anything but an automatic, seems to be good enough for the hospital.