Bad or Irritating EMS Memes

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Seeing a silent firefighter? That's such a rare occurrence, you're more likely to watch a unicorn giving birth..

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Quite the oxymoron too huh? The silent, unassuming hero carrying a pen that symbolizes his humility.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Then your funding the forum which I use, so I don't care if you tattoo a star of life on your forehead :blink: its all good.

Hurrah!! Approval from the internet!

cprted

Forum Captain
Seeing a silent firefighter? That's such a rare occurrence, you're more likely to watch a unicorn giving birth..
Q:How do you tell the guy you're talking to at the bar is a firefighter?
A: Don't worry, he'll tell you. ;)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
my number one choice " Trained to Save Your ***, Not Kiss it".

That's funny, I got a really nice pen from a contest on here that had that saying on it.

Used in the wrong context I agree it's unprofessional. However, when push comes to shove I'm going to put my foot down and do what needs to be done.

Maybe I'm that competent medic that's a total jerkface everyone was talking about in that other thread?

hogwiley

Forum Captain
Q:How do you tell the guy you're talking to at the bar is a firefighter?
A: Don't worry, he'll tell you. ;)

I honestly never understood the appeal of firefighting and always kind of saw the obsessive devotion many hose monkeys had to the field as amusing rather than annoying. Police I understood, because you get to carry a gun, go on car chases, tackle and cuff people and order them around etc. But firefighting just seems like dirty, dreary manual labor to me. I would just as soon do roofing or cement work for free as be a volunteer firefighter.

God bless people out there who think it's this awesome glamorous heroic job, to the point many even do it for free, but I'll never understand the appeal of it myself. I guess its something you either just "get" or you don't.

Last edited by a moderator:

RUABadfish002

Forum Probie
I honestly never understood the appeal of firefighting and always kind of saw the obsessive devotion many hose monkeys had to the field as amusing rather than annoying. Police I understood, because you get to carry a gun, go on car chases, tackle and cuff people and order them around etc. But firefighting just seems like dirty, dreary manual labor to me. I would just as soon do roofing or cement work for free as be a volunteer firefighter.

God bless people out there who think it's this awesome glamorous heroic job, to the point many even do it for free, but I'll never understand the appeal of it myself. I guess its something you either just "get" or you don't.

It's definitely a manual labor job, but many who choose the profession are coming from far less rewarding manual labor gigs. A firefighter may be doing mostly blue collar work that taxes their bodies day after day, but the feeling of making a rescue or saving somebody's belongings trumps any crappy manual labor you may have done before you became a FF. Being the last line of defense against fire is something the fire service shouldn't, and doesn't take lightly.

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
It's definitely a manual labor job, but many who choose the profession are coming from far less rewarding manual labor gigs. A firefighter may be doing mostly blue collar work that taxes their bodies EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE, but the feeling of making a rescue or saving somebody's belongings trumps any crappy manual labor you may have done before you became a FF. Being the last line of defense against fire is something the fire service shouldn't, and doesn't take lightly.

Fixed that for you.
Even in the busiest urban stations, it's not that busy(anymore).

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
Used in the wrong context I agree it's unprofessional. However, when push comes to shove I'm going to put my foot down and do what needs to be done.

Unfortunately I generally see it used in bad context. Within the context of a site like this or a pen you use off duty is one thing. I know a lot of people that have it prominently displayed on bumper stickers... Not a great thing for John Q public to see 4-5 of them when they pass the parking lot.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
It's definitely a manual labor job, but many who choose the profession are coming from far less rewarding manual labor gigs. A firefighter may be doing mostly blue collar work that taxes their bodies day after day, but the feeling of making a rescue or saving somebody's belongings trumps any crappy manual labor you may have done before you became a FF. Being the last line of defense against fire is something the fire service shouldn't, and doesn't take lightly.

Fixed that for you.
Even in the busiest urban stations, it's not that busy(anymore).

It was right the first time.

Being the last line of defense against fire is something the fire service shouldn't, and doesn't take lightly.

Last line of defenses aren't usually the most commonly used services.

Just because they don't have fires as much as we have codes doesn't make us more important in the overall scheme of things, if there were not paramedics people wouldn't survive to the hospital in acute emergencies, and if there weren't fire fighters building fires would engulf a whole town. It's situational and both jobs deserve respect... even if EMS does a whole lot more work.

Trashtruck

Forum Captain

So the IAFF says(which I am a member of). I'm not going to argue with the public's opinion about what we do. If they REALLY knew...
I'm not bashing it. But anybody in the Fire Service knows we don't tax our bodies day in and day out with fire suppression.
EMS is a different story.

Achilles

Forum Moron
But anybody in the Fire Service knows we don't tax our bodies day in and day out with fire suppression.

What about Detroit FD? Or are they an exception? :rolleyes:
Are smoke jumpers excluded from that as well?
Just because your city doesn't get a fire everyday, doesn't represent the world. Same for EMS.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
So the IAFF says(which I am a member of). I'm not going to argue with the public's opinion about what we do. If they REALLY knew...
I'm not bashing it. But anybody in the Fire Service knows we don't tax our bodies day in and day out with fire suppression.

Agreed

What about Detroit FD? Or are they an exception? :rolleyes:
Are smoke jumpers excluded from that as well?
Just because your city doesn't get a fire everyday, doesn't represent the world. Same for EMS.

Also true, but we know that majority of the population lives in urban settings and in busy urban systems the fire prevention is usually pretty good at prevention which is great, but we're derailing the topic.

that being said i saw this the other day thought it was funny.

unset.jpg

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP

The fire service is a respectful career and I have no problem with firefighters. My Uncle, my Grandpa, my Great Grandpa and my Great Great Grandpa, where all firemen.
The problem is you guys are to good at your job, you did so good at fire prevention there are not enough fires to justify your existence any longer with current staffing. As a result many places use the FD for EMS tier response or even transport. The professions start conflicting and no one likes EMS as it is, so not only do we have to do battle with Nurses and health care side of things, you have to do battle with the IAFF and the fire service. If the IAFF said "fine, we want a piece of the pie, but we recognize EMS as a seperate thing from fire and we are going to advocate for increasing education standards, pay, enforce degrees, use our power to protect and advocate for EMS, and help give it some Independence" Ya I would gladly embrace the fire service. However, that sounds kind of like the opposite of what they do. Fire wants to keep this a vocational job and exploits it to justify there existence and increase revenue.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Almost all of the FFers around here are volunteers. No disability insurance, not workman's comp, no life insurance, no funeral benefits...

I wouldn't mind going through Fire One just for the heck of it, I think I might enjoy it.. -Not to mention, I was told "females aren't good FFers" by a jerkface I used to work with- But as physical as that job is, I don't want to risk hurting myself and having no financial safety net.

The risk to self is just too much compared to EMS. At least with what I'm doing now, I have a little comp incase I get hurt.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
Almost all of the FFers around here are volunteers. No disability insurance, not workman's comp, no life insurance, no funeral benefits...

I wouldn't mind going through Fire One just for the heck of it, I think I might enjoy it.. -Not to mention, I was told "females aren't good FFers" by a jerkface I used to work with- But as physical as that job is, I don't want to risk hurting myself and having no financial safety net.

The risk to self is just too much compared to EMS. At least with what I'm doing now, I have a little comp incase I get hurt.

I think you're actually more likely to be injured and lose time off of work doing EMS than you are firefighting, because in EMS you are continually lifting patients, sometimes in situations that make proper lifting mechanics difficult, so back injuries are a constant risk, and back injuries are just about the worst type of on the job injury you can have.

Then there are the dangers of driving an ambulance in poor weather conditions, particularly ice and snow, not to mention being assaulted by mentally unstable or altered patients, which for some EMS jobs is almost a regular occurance.

Thats not to say there isnt risk in firefighting, recent events in Texas certainly demonstrated that, but in terms of on the job injuries I think the risk in EMS is probably greater.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
But that's why she mentioned that at least now she has a little comp if she gets hurt.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
How many cops do you know outside of work? Most guys who have been on for more then a year or two are hesitant to admit they are cops. It is to much of a hassle when you bring it up, everyone has a "a-hole cop story" or they want to ask you about a ticket or something.

I just say i work for the township, if they press i say i work Sanitation (not a total lie)

The risk to self is just too much compared to EMS. At least with what I'm doing now, I have a little comp in case I get hurt.
Are you sure? Around here, if you are on duty as a volunteer, which responding to a call counts, you are covered by insurance. If you are hurt en route to the station or on the fireground, you are covered by health insurance and workmans comp

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Are you sure? Around here, if you are on duty as a volunteer, which responding to a call counts, you are covered by insurance. If you are hurt en route to the station or on the fireground, you are covered by health insurance and workmans comp

This is what we has: http://www.vfbaofmn.com/

Private donations, BINGO at the Legion, meat raffles at the VFW, pull tabs, raffle tickets and membership dues contribute to the fund. It's just a big piggy bank they've started to protect themselves and their fellow FFers in case of injury..