Are we really that bad?

Anjel

Forum Angel
So right now I am on my third clinical this week. This is an extended basic clinical class. I'm a licensed basic and they have us take this to see what it's like on an ALS truck.

But I'm starting to feel like I have the plague haha

Are students really that bad to ride with?

I have been passed around, one almost flat our refused to take me, and the other couldn't understand why they put me with them.

So I'm just sitting here being quite lol but REALLY!? Are we THAT bad? :)

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
to some teaching is like babysitting. you have to remember, this other person is responsible for everything YOU say or do. that and when there is a student the station life really isnt the same. be patient, they are doing the best they can, for the most part they want you to succeed.

there probably just arent enough qualified people in your area who WANT to teach.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Maybe the crews you have been assigned to just don't like to teach, or they just aren't good at it. There are crews out there like that. I love having students ride with me, but the department I am with no longer precepts for any of the area programs, so it has been a long time since I have had anyone ride with me. At one of my first departments, I almost always had a student with me.

Do you get to pick the shifts/trucks you go out with? If so, ask around and see what trucks are the best ones to request. Talk to others in your class to see what their experiences have been with different crews. If you don't have any say in what trucks you are assigned to, just make the best of it. Even if you are with someone who doesn't like to teach, or just isn't very good at it, you can still learn something that you can take away with you.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
I love having students. I'm too new at my service to qualify to take a student (must be minimum 2 years full-time, assigned to a station and have the seniority for a spot) on full time and even if I wasn't stopped by policy, I still feel like I need more experience before I would make a good preceptor, but I love when my partner for the day is a preceptor, or when another crew in the station has one. Students have the enthusiasm that reminds you why you got into this field, the questions that force you to think beyond the surface of even a routine call and the possibility of error that makes you hyper-aware of the process of the call and alert to things that may be overlooked. Not to mention the sheer enjoyment of helping someone understand a concept or develop their assessment skills and critical thinking.

Why do some crews dislike taking students? I think that varies, but could include crews not being given a choice or even told they were having a student. Having had bad experiences with past students. Poor support from the service or educational institute to deal with problems. Lack of clear plan or goals for the educational experience.

Also, I could see not liking having a student that only rides with me for a shift or two. There's no time to build a rapport and little opportunity for them to really learn. Without this the experience could easily be just a burden. In contrast, I had 44, 12 hour shifts with my preceptor.

cmetalbend

Forum Crew Member
I love having students. I'm too new at my service to qualify to take a student (must be minimum 2 years full-time, assigned to a station and have the seniority for a spot) on full time and even if I wasn't stopped by policy, I still feel like I need more experience before I would make a good preceptor, but I love when my partner for the day is a preceptor, or when another crew in the station has one. Students have the enthusiasm that reminds you why you got into this field, the questions that force you to think beyond the surface of even a routine call and the possibility of error that makes you hyper-aware of the process of the call and alert to things that may be overlooked. Not to mention the sheer enjoyment of helping someone understand a concept or develop their assessment skills and critical thinking.

Why do some crews dislike taking students? I think that varies, but could include crews not being given a choice or even told they were having a student. Having had bad experiences with past students. Poor support from the service or educational institute to deal with problems. Lack of clear plan or goals for the educational experience.

Also, I could see not liking having a student that only rides with me for a shift or two. There's no time to build a rapport and little opportunity for them to really learn. Without this the experience could easily be just a burden. In contrast, I had 44, 12 hour shifts with my preceptor.

The content of this post couldn't be better stated. It would be a pleasure to work with WolfmanHarris.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
An unrecognized Corollary of Paramedicine...

The ones that don't want students don't want witnesses.

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
I think that the attitudes students can come to the shift with can influence how a preceptor treats a student. Good teachable attitudes go a lot farther than a you own me I know it all attitude.
I have arrived at a station that I have never rode with before. And get drilled on stuff, because the previous student did not know how to put a NRB or talk to the pt. And that was halfway through the medic course. :unsure:They were seeing if I was going to be like that other student. ( thankfully they voted that they were ok with me)
But also some preceptors just don't like having students at their elbow all the time. Like someone else said find the squads that are good for students. And if you are good, willing to learn, and helpful to have around, word will travel that you are a good student.

My two cents worth on this topic.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Students are tough, not only because you must watch everything they say or do...but they prove time and time again how little we ourselves know. :)

They challenge us and a lot of people do not like being challenged. They do not like hard thinking questions which every student always asks because it reminds us we got comfortable, we got complacent in cruising through our job instead of actively striving to improve ourselves and our knowledge.

There truly has not been a single shift when I precepted a student that I did not learn something new or be reminded/refreshed of something I had forgotten. But I had to be willing to tell the student "I don't know" and then go look it up myself.

Students humble us...and that is not always well received.

Many moons ago, I recall myself trying to do check off of my drug bag and being unable to find the dopamine. After 20 minutes of ripping the bag apart, the student asked if she could look...she moved a few items around and then hesitantly pulled the bottle of intropin out and asked if this is what I was overlooking, implied maybe I was searching too fast. She spared my ego because I was there to precept her, but we both knew I had forgotten. I was looking for dopamine and every time I read the bottle intropin it did not click in my head that I held dopamine.

Very humbling indeed and a great way to start the day!

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
The ones that don't want students don't want witnesses.

i have to completely disagree with this. while there may be medics who do not want anyone else on scene who actually knows whats going on. the majority of medics who do not want to precept feel that way because they either do not want to teach (my first partner is a great medic however hates teaching), do not want to he responsible for someone else (it is hard work to watch someones every move, making sure they dont jepordize your license too), or do not feel experienced enough to teach. and as i stated in my first post, having a student changes your whole layout of the day. you cant just sit in the lazy boy and veg out, you have to share your knowledge and experience, you have to beg dispatch to send you to calls in other areas (beg to post on the district line:wacko:) when i was an EMT i loved teaching and being an FTO. no i want nothing to do with a student, i still have plenty of my own to learn.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
^^^ I agree. I don't mind having good students occasionally, and I generally enjoy teaching. However, I do not want to be a full time preceptor, I don't have the mental energy to deal with a student every shift.

8jimi8

CFRN
The only thing I hate about being precepted is one someone thinks that I should have "THEIR" protocols memorized after helping them check off the inventories.

That and not letting me practice. I think the 2 year full time medic w/ seniority sounds like a dream compared to the newbie medic i got paired with in november. This girl had less than 6 months as a medic and probably not even that much training. It is very aggravating to get grilled on how many mgs two sprays of an albuterol inhaler is.

OR how do i give 325 mg of asa when we only have 324 available.

I guess we really are that bad...

OP
OP
Anjel

Anjel

Forum Angel
Well the shift is almost over. This is the second time I've been with these guys and it wasn't too bad. I tried to be as helpful as I could be on an ALS truck.

The thing about our ride alongs is that it is a full 12hrs on the ambulance. We don't have a station to sit at.

I asked a medic I was with before and he said he didn't like students because he felt like he couldn't get in the back and sleep between calls with me there. Lol

Right now I'm up in the driver seat and my guys are asleep in the back. Doesn't bother me none. I really am just happy to be here.

But I am thankful for everyone's input. It kinda made me see their perspective of me a little bit better.

6.5diesel_therapy

Forum Probie
It gets better once you become an intermediate. I've notice that alot of basics just don't have the knowledge and understanding of whats going on, and what needs to be done. I dont think there's anything more frustrating for a preceptor, then getting bad vitals from a basic when thats a skill he/she should've acquired prier to clinical's. Once In intermediate clinical's, and you have a better understanding, they'll let you have more hands on, and treat you like you belong in the field. just the other day i got to RSI and intubate on my clinical's, they see the more you want to learn, the better your clinical experience will be.

good luck

8jimi8

CFRN
It gets better once you become an intermediate. I've notice that alot of basics just don't have the knowledge and understanding of whats going on, and what needs to be done. I dont think there's anything more frustrating for a preceptor, then getting bad vitals from a basic when thats a skill he/she should've acquired prier to clinical's. Once In intermediate clinical's, and you have a better understanding, they'll let you have more hands on, and treat you like you belong in the field. just the other day i got to RSI and intubate on my clinical's, they see the more you want to learn, the better your clinical experience will be.

good luck

Paramedic clinicals?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Paramedic clinicals?

sounds like he's talking about EMT-I clinicals... but I'm not aware of many places that will let the I RSI... tube, yes, RSI no.

8jimi8

CFRN
sounds like he's talking about EMT-I clinicals... but I'm not aware of many places that will let the I RSI... tube, yes, RSI no.

My point exactly

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
My point exactly

Figured that's where you were going... and to add to the confusion his cert level states EMT-I, not any form of student :p

8jimi8

CFRN
Figured that's where you were going... and to add to the confusion his cert level states EMT-I, not any form of student :p

Dammit can everyone read my mind now?

I noticed the same thing, which is why I asked about the clinicals.

6.5diesel_therapy

Forum Probie
sorry EMT-I student. im done waiting to test. but intermediates in the middle of know where can be signed off has medics by the director. so im learning more drugs, and to read rhythms. for when i move to know where NC lol

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
sorry EMT-I student. im done waiting to test. but intermediates in the middle of know where can be signed off has medics by the director. so im learning more drugs, and to read rhythms. for when i move to know where NC lol

North Carolina? Hate to break it to you, but it's rare that an EMT-I in any other state will be given the same scope of practice as if available in TX. I know NM and TX have some of the broader I/85 protocols out there and that's due a lot of times to the ruralness of hte areas. I looked at the Carolina's before I moved to TX, and found that I would have had a greatly reduced scope if I had found work up there.