Are we really that bad?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Whether it be newbie Paramedic students, new employees to the agency, or EMT students, generally the problem occurs when the "teacher" doesn't want to "teach."

If a two person medic crew has no jobs, they can sleep, go shopping, watch TV, or do whatever they want. with a student, they need to spend their downtime reviewing protocols (which are typically agency specific protocols, not the protocols that the school/state teaches), or making sure they know what's going on. So with a student, the crew needs to actually do more work.

The other thing to consider is just because someone is a good medic or has been there for 10-15 years, doesn't mean they are going to be a good teacher or preceptor.

Couple that with the whole "well, if I got a student, I got to follow all the rules, by the book, no short cuts" and the desire to have no witnesses in case a screw up happens helps add to why many people have a negative opinion on students; this is, of course, despite everyone actually having been a student at one point in their career, but of course they were not never as bad as today's students :rolleyes:

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
There's nothing worse than a crew that views a student as a way to get out of work; as someone to do their scudwork. I would expect a student to check and clean the truck, WITH the crew; but it shouldn't be dumped on them while the crew lounges around.

I also can't stand the opposite extreme where the crew places expectations on a student that would be never placed on a medic. For example, I know of crews (and instructors) that have told their students they are not allowed to sleep during night shifts or must always be studying during down time. Certainly it's a good idea for them to use their time wisely, but in adult education treating a student like a child (even if deserved sometimes) is not a good way to learn or to develop critical thinkers that will soon be practicing independently.

8jimi8

CFRN
sorry EMT-I student. im done waiting to test. but intermediates in the middle of know where can be signed off has medics by the director. so im learning more drugs, and to read rhythms. for when i move to know where NC lol

Just remember what happens if you get caught exceeding your scope.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
sorry EMT-I student. im done waiting to test. but intermediates in the middle of know where can be signed off has medics by the director. so im learning more drugs, and to read rhythms. for when i move to know where NC lol

"Signed off to be a medic" in Texas doesn't increase one's certification level, only their scope. It's also one of the most BS practices in Texas EMS.

Most other states in the union are going to severely limit your practice at the I-85 level

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
It really depends on who we have riding. Resident? Student? City Councilor? Residents are there to observe calls, therefore I tend to cruise a lot, looking to stay busy to show them a variety. Students all want "skills", so a bit of cherry picking of calls might be the mission for the tour.

I like to teach, but don't want to be sattled with a 3rd rider on a daily basis, afterall, I like to do my shopping, sleeping, web surfing without someone to entertain.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
The only thing I hate about being precepted is one someone thinks that I should have "THEIR" protocols memorized after helping them check off the inventories.

That and not letting me practice. I think the 2 year full time medic w/ seniority sounds like a dream compared to the newbie medic i got paired with in november. This girl had less than 6 months as a medic and probably not even that much training. It is very aggravating to get grilled on how many mgs two sprays of an albuterol inhaler is.

OR how do i give 325 mg of asa when we only have 324 available.

I guess we really are that bad...

Dear lord, hopefully you provided her with a reality check?

This is a part of the problem with EMS education. Ideally students should do clinical time with a real preceptor. Unfortunately, those preceptors are often tied up with the service's actual employees, if they exist at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I love having students, if they remain teachable. Too many student care about only memorizing enough to pass NR, doing some "cool skills" and getting me to sign them off with a good eval. Others come in with a "if it's not in the book it's malpractice" attitude. I understand it's "the text" for a reason, however with the many inadequacies and outright inaccuracies in most EMS textbooks I prefer to draw from a broader knowledge base.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I love having students, if they remain teachable. Too many student care about only memorizing enough to pass NR, doing some "cool skills" and getting me to sign them off with a good eval. Others come in with a "if it's not in the book it's malpractice" attitude. I understand it's "the text" for a reason, however with the many inadequacies and outright inaccuracies in most EMS textbooks I prefer to draw from a broader knowledge base.
God I wish I could come ride with you for my medic third rides. Most of the FFs that do precepting where I'm going to school think that if the book doesn't specifically mention it, you're not allowed to do it in the field.

phideux

Forum Captain
I can actually see both sides of this coin here. I'm an EMT-I, in my last semester of Medic school. And all I can say about all the crews that I have done my ride time with is that they have been great. They all have been willing to let me lead calls, throwing "suggestions" at me at the appropriate times, giving me all the feedback(pos and neg) after the calls. All of them willing to share their knowledge.
On the other side, I run on a busy 911 based volunteer squad. I run as an EMT-I and I have an EMT-B that drives and rides with me, who is going on to EMT-I next semester. So I pass what I'm learning on to him. I think sharing the knowledge is a good thing. Plus him asking me questions all the time helps keep things fresh in my mind.