Ambulance drivers test

OddJob

Forum Ride Along
Ca DMV ambulance driver test help

Well because the regulations differ from state to state i think i can help because i am a california EMT and am actually renewing my certificate this week. The test is somewhat difficult but passible so dont be at all discouraged if you dont pass the first time. You get three tries but then you have to pay again so be sure you can pass that third time. The book is very hard to follow and study from. And unlike the class C drivers test, you cannot pass the amb cert test on common sense alone. They will ask you about stuff that is so small and pointless and frankly i havent been able to find parts in the handbook. And there are questions where all the choices are correct....yet picking all of the above is not and they are worded funny so just be prepared. The best advice I can give you is to find practice tests. I havent been to the DMV site so im not sure if they have any. Bu i found an excellent one. Go to http://www.amr-evoc.com/ those ARE THE SAME EXACT QUESTIONS FOUND ON SOME OF THE DMV TESTS. And just do your best to memorize those cuz you will see some dont exactly make the most sense. And look up in your handbook something about title 13 excemtions i got that one wrong yesterday and i have no idea what it is still :) Hey and good luck with the test and your career...and your DMV experience haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoCalEMT

Forum Ride Along
read booklet and use the amr website

I just took the ambulance test last week and I read through the amr questions and read the blue pamphlet. I passed on my first try (missed one). My studying might have been a little overkill (I was waiting for two hours to get the livescan done so I had nothing better to do than read the blue book). Some of those AMR questions did appear verbatim on the test. There were some obscure questions though that I only knew the answer to because I actually read the fine print of the manual. I asked the lady at the front of the testing area and apparently you can retake up to three times on the same day if you want to.

Read the blue book and the AMR practice test and you'll do fine.

WLSC2008

Forum Crew Member
WV Evoc

Here in WV we have to take a two day Emergency Vehicle Opeartions Class (EVOC) and have to pass both a written test and a practical (driving exam) as far as what is on it and is contained in the class I am not sure.
I have to take it hopefully in the spring. I have heard good things and bad things about it. One guy I know said he had to drive a full size fire truck when he took the test others say that it all depends on where you take the class at.

Hope this helps!

bombero63

Forum Ride Along
ambulance driver

In NY anyone with a valid driver's license can drive a bambulance. :)

In both of my departments you must be 21, off probation, and a graduate of the department's training program.

In NYS is that with a patient or without.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
bring_out_your_dead.jpg

Matthew, try this
http://tinyurl.com/37b4r55

cletus

Forum Ride Along
Don't forget you need to have a Medical Examination Report on file with the DMV as well. It's the DMV form you give to the doc to fill out after their physical exam.

Trip

Forum Probie
In NY anyone with a valid driver's license can drive a bambulance. :)

In both of my departments you must be 21, off probation, and a graduate of the department's training program.

I'm in NY and my fire/rescue company is the same as what rescuecpt says. The company I work for, however, requires EVO & CEVO3 followed by one or two hands-on sessions. the EVO is an online open book course and CEVO3 is a video and open book test.

Indy

Forum Crew Member
In the state of Indiana, you are required to pass an Emergency Vehicle Operations Course in order to be hired as an EMT-B or EMT-P for most departments.

Indy

Forum Crew Member
Does anyone know about Indiana?

In Indianapolis, Wishard requires EVOC certification. You should also check out Pike Township Fire, (beautiful rigs!) IFD, and Beech Grove FD.

IanN1

Forum Ride Along
Make sure your Doctor fills out the Physical form COMPLETELY!!!

All I have to say is,

If you're in CA and applying for your Ambulance Driver's License,

****Make sure your Doctor fills out the physical form COMPLETELY!!!***

I've been back and forth between the DMV and Doctor's office 3 times at this point, and haven't even taken my test yet. The DMV keeps finding something on my physical form that my doc didn't fill out.

Here are the 3 things my doc missed:

-Not completely filling out the hearing test results
-Not marking the box that says "Patient is not blind in one eye" (Yes, that is actually one of the criteria)
-Not stamping the physical form with the doctor's office stamp.

Each time I assumed that my doc had completely filled out the form. Wrong. DON'T ASSUME!

Look over the form BEFORE you leave the doctor's office and make sure they've filled everything out.

I've spent WAY too many hours dealing with this nonsense, so make sure you look the sheet over thoroughly so you don't have to waste hours like I just did.

Good luck!

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
Good thing you bumped a thread that's over a year old to inform us of your lack of attention to detail.

KyleG

Forum Crew Member
Google AMR driver test it will pop up, that helped me out alot!

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I had no idea we had to take a test i've been driving for a private company for 3 months now. oops

It's for california :p If you can, go somewhere that does occupational health exams. They do these forms ALL the time, so they know how to actually filly them out. Many actually have their own copies so you don't need to pick them up from the DMV.