Ambulance drivers test

E in SD

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone, I recentley passed my national reg. exam and am soon to be in the process of applying for an EMT position. I had a few questions about the ambulance drivers licence test. The DMV just had a blue study guide to read through and many of the topics were sort of vague. I was curious if any one has recently taking the test, what topics should I focus on the most and do they ask for the "code of regulations" sections/numbers...Any advice would be greatly appreciated, THANK YOU!!

ndilley

Forum Crew Member
What state are you from? I am from Ky and to my knowledge we don't have any type of ambulance drivers test (feel free to let me know if we do) I wish we did however because it should be one of the key factors in emt training. I mean that is a skill that should be taught. I work in the hills of Ky with terrible mountain roads and getting to a scene is often a job in and of itself. It is terrifying that they will test you over pt. assessments, and how to pump and blow yet they toss you the keys and let you drive RLS without any formal standardized training.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Well in FL, we have to take a 2-day course then take the test. When I called our DMV, they didn't know anything, but I called our main station and talked to an EMT that was on-duty and he filled me in on the whole thing. Maybe that would be the best thing for you since it obviously varies from state to state.

Good Luck!

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Any advice?
Don't crash. :p

Seriously, talk with someone that has gone through it (EMT friend, ambulance agency safety officer, etc). That's the best advice to give.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
In NY anyone with a valid driver's license can drive a bambulance. :)

In both of my departments you must be 21, off probation, and a graduate of the department's training program.

emt/fr

Forum Probie
Same here in WI anyone with a valid driver's liscence can drive an ambulance, there is a course offered through our technical college system for EVOC. (emergency vehicle opertators certificate) Which doesn't require renewal and isn't required by the state, but some of the dept's make it mandatory for you to take. My dept makes us take it about every three years and it is worth it in my opinion. It is only about an 8 hour course.

ma2va92

Forum Lieutenant
Virginia we have EVOC.... about a 12 to 16 hour class.... then written exam... then several hour training with the vec. you are being cert. for then a driving test...

and after you pass you renew ever 4 years.. and you can apply this to your DMV driving record... he can correct some bad points you may have....

simple class... pass the written..... don't run over any cones in the driving test...

and you ready to go...

I think the class cost $5.00...

like some things there not out to make money... it's just to cover the cost of the booklets..

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Ambulance Drivers License? :blink:

We just have EVOC. Emegency Vehicle Operator Course, have to take it driving an ambulance, fire apparatus, etc. Even the police take it.

Isn't South Dakota the state where Hearse (Type 4) Style Ambulance are still legal?

I like to study EMS codes in different states; Alaska, S. Dak, Montana and one state that starts w/ an "M".. *that I forget*.. allows ambulances with a head room of 48" to be used. Where as other states require at least 64" of head room.

One of my caddy ambulances has a head room of 48".. The 1968 Cadillac "Volunteer" or Model 48 aka. 48" Low Top. I don't see how there would be enough room for all the equipment. Believe me, I've tried. I have everything required for a legal ambulance in PA, and then some, and I tried to fit it all on a caddy, and w/ out six bags and stuffing the cabinets, floor compartments, and door cabinets to the birm, not everything would safely, or comfortably fit. Anyone who has ever been in one, would know that if it's not in the cabinets, there isn't enough room.
But I'd like to see one still in service. They do exist, but I've never seen one.

SingleLovingLife

Forum Ride Along
In Alabama you take the EVOC course and when you pass "driver" is added to your state EMT or Paramedic license. There is nothing through the state DOT.

Kind of scary when you think about it. :blink:

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
5 bucks??!!! Our EVOC is a 16 hour course and costs $120 through the college, or you can take it through the DMV and pay $245. Then you get an endorsement on your drivers lisence.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey Wingnut, you can get that endorsement without the class. Just walk into the DL place and tell them you want a Class D license with an E endorsement, take a short little test, pay the $$ and BAHM! you have it.

But you do still have to show proof of EVOC.

$120 is really high though. I am going to go to Gulf Coast Comm College. $55 bucks - 2 days. and VIOLA!! its mine.

namaste1967

Forum Crew Member
The company that I work for puts everyone through CEVO and it turns out that we get a discount on our auto insurance because of it!

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by EMTPrincess@Nov 3 2005, 06:25 AM
Hey Wingnut, you can get that endorsement without the class. Just walk into the DL place and tell them you want a Class D license with an E endorsement, take a short little test, pay the $$ and BAHM! you have it.

But you do still have to show proof of EVOC.

$120 is really high though. I am going to go to Gulf Coast Comm College. $55 bucks - 2 days. and VIOLA!! its mine.
I know about the endorsement, but you can't work for our county EMS without that class.

55 bucks? Joo suck :p

I actually called my insurance company a few months ago to see if EVOC gave me a discount, but ours doesn't :(

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by namaste1967@Nov 3 2005, 12:27 PM
The company that I work for puts everyone through CEVO and it turns out that we get a discount on our auto insurance because of it!
What company gives you a discount???

hfdff422

Forum Lieutenant
Our insurance company paid for our EVOC, then gave us a discount on our insurance. We could get even more of a discount if all of our personnel would have showed up for the class. It is pretty scary how little training fire and ems get for the operation of their vehicles in such critical situations.

Medic38572

Forum Crew Member
Tn you must have a Class D with an F endorsment, most EMS services require EVOC or CEVO. Funny thing is if you could take both they are totolly differant course's.

namaste1967

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Nov 4 2005, 09:10 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Nov 4 2005, 09:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-namaste1967@Nov 3 2005, 12:27 PM
What company gives you a discount??? [/b][/quote]
my AAA said they would give me a discount...........just have to show the certificate. Rumor is that any insurance company here in MI will do that.......not sure about other states.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I got a discount from DMV on EMS plates for all 9 WHKR vehicles we had registered. Otherwise, it would have been $180.00... and it was only $120.00.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Getting back to the original question (and sorry for the late reply), the California ambulance driver's test isn't too hard. Mostly, they want to know that you know the "common sense" items, such as when its appropriate to run with lights and sirens, what liabilities you face when doing so, safe operation, etc. I think there was also a question or two about the required equipment for ambulances. Don't think there was anything where you had to know specific code items.

Part of the ambiguity is that the test, unlike other DMV tests, covers areas outside of the vehicle code. The VC only really covers ambulance vehicular equipment (such as warning lights, etc.) and some of the right-of-way issues. The test does draw on some of the Health and Safety Code (Title 22) requirements though, and I think the DMV is less familiar with those, but mandated to test knowledge of them.

Its also somewhat of an uncommon test...both times I've gone to the DMV to take it (initial and when my DL had to be renewed), they're not quite sure of the process.

For those outside of CA, the ambulance driver's certificate (which is similar to an endorsement on a CDL) is required before you can drive an ambulance for a private company or for a volunteer fire department. Paid firefighters are exempt from the requirement...all they need is a valid Class C or higher license. The certificate also requires a medical authorization (like with a CDL), and you have to be an EMT by the end of the first year. The certificate is tied to your regular driver's license and expires when it does.