You know you are a dinosaur when

ECC

Forum Captain
1) Lifepaks did not have a number

2) isuprel was not just for breakfast

3) Thoephylline

4) The big orange box was 'State of the art'

5) Dodge cut their vans in half lengthwise and sewed them back together with another dodge Van!

6) Sodium Bicarb was your friend!

7) Calcium Chloride did not turn cardiac tissue to stone.

8) You could use your LP5 as a door chock without the supervisor having a coniption.

9) You know that there was a LP5.

10) Ford 460's leaked fumes into the patient compartment (having a negative effect on your work day!)

Feel free to add on!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
2) isuprel was not just for breakfast

3) Thoephylline

I have an 'old-school' -P school instructor, who, "happens to be" a RRT, too.

4) The big orange box was 'State of the art'
Plano 747's are still used by our nearest ALS as back up kits - the just went to Ferno's ALS bag....

Nowadays:

Remember what life was like before prehospital 12-leads

Remember what a LP10 is

Remember what Zolls LP10 knock-off was....

Remember High-dose Epi

Remember Tiered Systems and Chase Cars

Remember Mother, Jugs and Speed

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@May 17 2005, 08:05 PM
One of my friends fell through a set of stairs recently... now he wears an "extrication belt" to work - a harness sort of thingy.... FDNY had to come pull him out of the stairs - at least nothing bit him!

OP
OP
E

ECC

Forum Captain
I am the crony of NO ONE! :eek:

Remember when you had Salt Poor Albumin?

Remember when it was OK (for you NY'ers) to have a 'Part 800' kit stashed away for the state inspectors to look at to make sure you were compliant?

Remember the days before AED's and once they came out the new EMT-D's would try to defib people in the bath-tub or in the rain?!? It really happened! ;)

Remember when it was Ok to hang more than 3 liters of RL?

Remember MAST pants?!?

Ah, I wax nostalgic!

Remember the Thomas 1/2 ring traction splint?!?

Remember having to use a short board for cervical immobilization on your state exam?

Remember when CPR was easy?

How about our old friend Lidocaine?

Did I mention Isuprel gave electrical activity to hamburger? :p

Remember when the siren was still in the lightbar? What??

Remember when Pulseless Electrical Activity was called EMD?

How about APE (some think it stands for Acute Pulmonary Embolus)

Ah my old friend Narcan...let us not forget the time in the early 90's they were distributing some wild Heroin...super pure! 10mg was the standing order and we could hang a drip....had to call for that though.

I am sure I will come up with a few more. :blink:

rescuecpt

Originally posted by ECC@May 17 2005, 10:00 PM
Remember when it was OK (for you NY'ers) to have a 'Part 800' kit stashed away for the state inspectors to look at to make sure you were compliant?
I got away with this... I doubt the NYDOH inspector is the same as when you were around here, but he told me that annoys him when departments do that, and I laughed and said "um, it's in that compartment over there"... he didn't even inventory it. :)

Also, we JUST got amiodarone, as an option on a per-department basis. We're not using it at the FD due to cost, but we use it at the Corps, but still have lido too.

OP
OP
E

ECC

Forum Captain
Originally posted by rescuecpt@May 17 2005, 10:05 PM
I got away with this... I doubt the NYDOH inspector is the same as when you were around here, but he told me that annoys him when departments do that, and I laughed and said "um, it's in that compartment over there"... he didn't even inventory it. :)

Also, we JUST got amiodarone, as an option on a per-department basis. We're not using it at the FD due to cost, but we use it at the Corps, but still have lido too.
Tragic part is that you guys 'on the Neck' could really use some of that stuff...too bad it is spendy!

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
You remember when EOA's/EGTA's were considered standard of care.

And I think APE is Acute Pulmonary Edema, although I could see pulmonary embolism abbreviated as that.

OP
OP
E

ECC

Forum Captain
Another Dinosaur!!! ...yes I do remember EGTA's...what a joke!

Then there was the time when I was an AEMT-III (NY's version of EMT-I) and the doc said give one amp of the blue and one amp of the red...We had just fininshed making all ALS providers literate to the 6th grade level, so i told him I was colorblind :blink:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
What is a "part 800 kit"????

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by ECC@May 17 2005, 10:00 PM

I use the thomas all the time.. Cravats are much easier to use than velcro straps; and the straps don't fit obese patients as well as a cravat does.

And I believe Part 800 is the New York State EMS & Ambulance Codes and Regulations Book.

rescuecpt

Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@May 17 2005, 11:20 PM
Yeah, part 800 is one of the State laws we have to follow. Mostly it impacts us in the way of things we need on the ambulance - a lot of them are useless or not really part of County protocol - so most companies just throw a "part 800" bag together to keep on the bus so we have it, but pretty much NEVER touch... things like 2 of each size french catheter and other random pieces of equipment.

OP
OP
E

ECC

Forum Captain
Originally posted by TTLWHKR+May 17 2005, 11:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TTLWHKR @ May 17 2005, 11:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ECC@May 17 2005, 10:00 PM

I use the thomas all the time.. Cravats are much easier to use than velcro straps; and the straps don't fit obese patients as well as a cravat does.

And I believe Part 800 is the New York State EMS & Ambulance Codes and Regulations Book. [/b][/quote]
I have an old Thomas 1/2 ring in my basement, and I have not heard of anyone still using them...Good for you...old aint necessarily bad!

OP
OP
E

ECC

Forum Captain
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@May 17 2005, 08:05 PM
The penguins love it...it is the only excitement they get!

Drinking beer in the bus...

MJ&S is required viewing for all providers under the age of 35!

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by ECC+May 18 2005, 09:54 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ECC @ May 18 2005, 09:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MedicStudentJon@May 17 2005, 08:05 PM
[/b][/quote]
I bought MJ&S on DVD via ebay.. Watch it regularly.

I have a thomas hanging in the closet w/ my whacker gear. Four in fact; I bought a box of them from a military surplus shop in Millersburg, Pa. The kind we have on the ambulances are a different type of half-ring splint; a Keller-Blake. I actually like it better than the adjustable length of the newer Thomas splints. Also good to use w/ knee injuries. You can do a lot w/ a dozen cravats, a thomas and a pillow!

Margaritaville

Forum Lieutenant
Oh lord what memories -

I remember thinking the patch EOA/MAST was "special".

Remember sandbags and cadillac ambulances, and when the funeral home would donate an old hearse to be used as an ambulance, ick!

I saw an Emergency Care essentails book the other day at an EMT class. It was book #18 or so. I had Book #2 in EMT school (84 hours back then).

Now I feel old! :blink:

OP
OP
E

ECC

Forum Captain
I remember using sandbags for flail section stabilization!

Cadu ambos ruled! There is nothing out there that matches it's speed or class.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by ECC@May 17 2005, 10:30 PM
Another Dinosaur!!! ...yes I do remember EGTA's...what a joke!
Whats bad is i'm only 24. I've never used an EGTA/EOA on anyone before.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt+May 18 2005, 08:33 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rescuecpt @ May 18 2005, 08:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MedicStudentJon@May 17 2005, 11:20 PM
Yeah, part 800 is one of the State laws we have to follow. Mostly it impacts us in the way of things we need on the ambulance - a lot of them are useless or not really part of County protocol - so most companies just throw a "part 800" bag together to keep on the bus so we have it, but pretty much NEVER touch... things like 2 of each size french catheter and other random pieces of equipment. [/b][/quote]
ahhh.... I've worked for a few co's that ONLY stocked to the state min. Levels.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by ECC@May 18 2005, 03:04 PM
I remember using sandbags for flail section stabilization!

I took my Medical Practical Final last night...and when our reviewer was reviewing the girl who got a GSW to the chest, he mentioned a sandbag on a flail chest...

Made me smile thinking of you dinosaurs :D

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
We use sandbags to hold the Hare splint up off the cot b/c *someone* :ph34r: took that annoying stand off the bottom.. Never fit on the board, got stuck on the folding handle on the cot..

We were told never to use them for c-spine anymore, but if you have more patients than equipment, I use what ever necessary. We've put people on folding stretchers w/ sand bags and medical duct tape; after a tour plane didn't make it off the run way. Then when people bi*ch about it, tell them to buy you the extra equipment and you'll stop doing it. :p Sometimes they do.

Can't spell today