Would you like to be a Primary Care Paramedic?

OP
OP
SeeNoMore

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
I agree that force is necessary, and I think some states and systems will force change, and others will just sort of wallow for a while slowly watching their scope of practice diminish.

For systems that want to improve, I think there is a future. Some states are moving towards associates degrees, not enough but a step better than becomming a paramedic with no formal anatomy and physiology etc.

These systems will have to reduce the number of medics and the burden will be on us to prove that what we do can be useful. I think EMT's can handle a lot of prehosptial work, but you shoud have paramedics for interfacility transfers, flight crews, tiered responses to certain calls, and hopefully community paramedecine. I also think that Paramedics can probably make a bigger difference in rural areas, though I can not find many studies on this.

But If study after study shows a particular intervention or way of doing things is not working, it should go. This goes for Emergency medecine in general, for all the studies about paramedics not helping particular groups of patients, often I know the ED will do very similar interventions or make similar mistakes, like using ACLS drugs or stopping compressions for several minutes while they fiddle with a tube instead of placing another adjunct. And no I am not one of those folks that does not respect Dr's or in any way feel I am as smart or educated, all I am saying is that there are problems in many areas of medecine.

But I have gotten a lot from this discussion.