Worst illness/injury from working?

eggshen

Forum Lieutenant
Black eye from time to time
Ribs off the spine once.
Tossed my back here and there.

Crushed my thumb most of the way off, not EMS but on the clock.

Worst of all? Neglected shin lac getting out of the amb. -> cellulitis-> thrush.

I cannot describe pain like that. I would have given up national secrets in a minute.

Egg

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I slammed my hand in the side door of an ambulance last fall... I documented it, but didn't seek treatment... it stopped hurting after a day or two. I was close to seeking treatment, but the ED wait was getting worse... and I really didn't want to sit around and wait. ;)

I had to spend 6 hours in the ED getting my C-spine cleared after spraining my neck horsing around at the squad when I first started. :(

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I pulled a hamstring during a SAR once. It was fine as long as I was hiking to the pull out with the patient. But, a 30 minute boat ride with the pt to the ambulance, sitting on a cold metal bench seat in a tiny coast guard boat in 30-some degree weather and when I got out at the boat launch for the ride to the hospital, I found every muscle in my thigh had gone into a fist.

Other than that, I haven't noticed that I get more colds, flus than the average bear.

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
hmm..in my 4 years, so far I have left an interior compartment door open on the rig and went to grab something from the supply room and when I went back to get the the side door of the rig I smashed the top of my head on the bottom edge of that compartment door...that hurt! I got a bit lightheaded and it swelled quite a bit but I was fine...and next to that I almost had another pretty bad injury..we got toned for an MVA on I87 during an ice storm and i had on my turnout jacket and helmet as we were pulling out of the station and when I stepped out of the rig I happened to step on a sheet of ice and went down...good thing I had my helmet on tight because I smashed my helmeted head off the running board on the rig...that could have turned out bad...let's hope any future injuries aren't so bad...

OP
OP
LucidResq

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I've got an interesting one... consider taking radio mics off your shoulder while driving.

Our SAR team was on our way to a call with two POVs both loaded with 5 members each. This dumb *** lady ran into the middle of the street, leading car screeched to a stop, the brakes of the car I was riding shotgun in failed and we crashed at about 30.

Airbags deployed and everyone was wearing seatbelts of course. One member went by ambulance to the hospital because his neck was stiff and painful, and the rest of us went to the ED just to get checked out.

One member got a concussion. Another broke his clavicle because he was wearing a mic on his shoulder and it was right under the seatbelt. Everyone else was pretty much fine

It was pretty funny though while we were in the waiting room... there were like 15 people in uniform and 5 of them were c-collared.

Oh by the way, that idiot who ran into the street and caused the crash paused for a moment, looked at the crash and kept running. That made me so angry.

Last edited by a moderator:

scottmcleod

Forum Crew Member
I've got an interesting one... consider taking radio mics off your shoulder while driving.

Our SAR team was on our way to a call with two POVs both loaded with 5 members each. This dumb *** lady ran into the middle of the street, leading car screeched to a stop, the brakes of the car I was riding shotgun in failed and we crashed at about 30.

Airbags deployed and everyone was wearing seatbelts of course. One member went by ambulance to the hospital because his neck was stiff and painful, and the rest of us went to the ED just to get checked out.

One member got a concussion. Another broke his clavicle because he was wearing a mic on his shoulder and it was right under the seatbelt. Everyone else was pretty much fine

It was pretty funny though while we were in the waiting room... there were like 15 people in uniform and 5 of them were c-collared.

Oh by the way, that idiot who ran into the street and caused the crash paused for a moment, looked at the crash and kept running. That made me so angry.

(kidding, but) it might have been less hassle (at least, less paperwork) to have hit the idiot that ran out...

Rok44123

Forum Ride Along
someone mentioned itching from scabies...
we had a nursing home not tell us this lady was infected with scabies and almost everone in our building got infected with them plus she had been to the ER several times so she spread it to them. Then we found that whole hospital was having problems with her little friends.

I won't mention the number of times nursing homes fail to tell about hep a, TB or any other bugs the patients have.

Last edited by a moderator: