Woman gives child candy bar, becomes EMT

OP
OP
TTLWHKR

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
The ending wasn't so bad, but it was kind of odd, nonetheless.

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
Yup, she went from working on the trucks to being firehouse secretary and was happy about it. I was under the impression that doing the EMT thing was what she wanted. I dont know why she felt she needed to go out on every call, for the vol service she worked for you'd think she would at least have a rotation with another EMTB. And not only that I think she was functioning as a FR rather than an EMTB, but you know whatever works for the producers I guess.

-Capn

OP
OP
TTLWHKR

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by CaptainPanic@Sep 13 2005, 08:53 AM
Yup, she went from working on the trucks to being firehouse secretary and was happy about it. I was under the impression that doing the EMT thing was what she wanted. I dont know why she felt she needed to go out on every call, for the vol service she worked for you'd think she would at least have a rotation with another EMTB. And not only that I think she was functioning as a FR rather than an EMTB, but you know whatever works for the producers I guess.

-Capn
When I ran as 'just' a volunteer, between the time I first took EMT and I graduated from college, I ran just about every call at home. And we used two EMT's and a non EMT driver on every run, except non emergency transfers. As for her running every call, obviously they had some paid people there, they seemed to be at the firehouse alot anyway. Sometimes in the volunteer squads people tend to rely on those who are always around, and don't say no to running constantly. They get sucked into this "force field" :p where people make them feel guilty when they do not take every run. In this lady's case, she was a freakin nut case before, she was one after... and it didn't help her any through the process.

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
Which brings me to another question, why wasnt she assigned a partner. Obvisouly she would have to call for ALS transport, she would have assisted in standbys, but still why wasnt she assigned a partner, especially considering she was gung ho rookie.

-Capn

HotNoldEMTchick

Forum Crew Member
The book has her in a very rural area.... maybe there wasn't enough volunteers? Who knows.

I had to laugh at the performance, because the book was about the EMT thing, but I felt that the movie gave more attention to her personal problems and her marriage... That disappointed me.

smileyyemtb76

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for some suggestions...I love to read (when I can) and have been looking for some EMS related books...Now I know which ones to look for.

namaste1967

Forum Crew Member
BSI!! WE'RE NUMBER 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I went into my nremt-b/state exam friday swearing I was going to say that at each station........but I chickened out! I found some humor in the movie and thought it wasn't too bad.