Williamson County EMS is hiring

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Hello everyone,

I hope this is the correct place to post this but I wanted to make all of you that are looking for employement in Texas that Williamson County EMS is hiring for Paramedic Positions. The application deadline is 1/3/2010 at 8am, www.wilcoems.org is the website to go to for application material. And you can PM me if you have any questions.

Thank you and enjoy the upcoming holiday,

Fish

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
No problem, be sure to study hard our written test is challenging.

Hockey

Quackers
Is $51600 a good wage for the area (versus cost of living)?

What kind of equipment do you have?

Good benefits?

Morale?

Call volume?

Shifts (12/24?)

Medic/Medic? EMT/Medic

Distance to hospital?

Most "common" calls? (BS, legit, trauma, medical)

Whats the weather like?

Sign on bonus?

8jimi8

CFRN
its a livable wage as long as you arent a drug addict lol!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Frmo the looks of it, another service to put on my list of ones to look at once I'm done with school in NM

EDIT: To the guy above 8jimi8, they say all paramedic service, so I'd assume medic/medic trucks

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Is $51600 a good wage for the area (versus cost of living)?

-It is a very good wage for living here, we are far below the national average as far as cost of living is concerned and a lot of our Paramedics survive off Williamson County income alone. That being said, not many people make that 52k listed, most peolpe make more due to overtime, paid card classes, paid CEs paid team training and more. Average 3bed/2bath house is 150K, Average Rent for 2bd apt. is $700-$800

What kind of equipment do you have?

-All of our new Ambulances are Type 3 F450s With the air ride suspension by Wheeled Coach. All ambulances are remounted at around 50-60k miles, then replaced entirely once the remount then reaches another 50-60k miles, so to put it into perspective our oldest Frontline Ambulance is a 2008(Our Ambulance are very well taken care of and replaced very often) As far as monitors we use the Philips, we use the Stryker Power Stretchers, and an epcr system on toughbooks for pt. reports.

Good benefits?

- benefits are great, most notably is the retirement, you contribute 7% of your pretaxed income to the retirement system, after 8 years you become vested and the County matches your retirement bank 250%, not to mention that your retirement gains 7% interest a year. We use the state retirement system. Medical coverage is currently united Healthcare. We offer, dental, vision, and all the other normal stuff like FML, paid vacations, and life insurance.

Morale?

- Very high, we love this system and it shows. Our system has gained MULTIPLE awards and recognitions. Most note worthy is our achievement of National EMS system of the year twice. We are a big family here and our Command Staff are very professional, and very good at what they do and respect us and believe in us with the utmost.

Call volume?

-Little over 30k a year, ran by 16 frontline Trucks with the Ability to put on 8 more if needed.

Shifts (12/24?)

-24hr shifts, we have one Ambulance that runs 12s. In the near future I think we will see 12s added as demand units, but thats just a personal belief not a fact. We work a 24/48 schedule

Medic/Medic? EMT/Medic

-Medic/Medic

Distance to hospital?

-Totally depends on what Ambulance you are on, we cover 1,100 sqmiles Some of which is Urban some of Which is Rural. Most of our Hospitals are located in the Urban Communities, there you can see transports of about 10 mins, sometimes less. Out in the Rural areas it can be as high as 40mins.
Most "common" calls? (BS, legit, trauma, medical)

Whats the weather like?

-Central Texas has all four seasons, it is hot during the summer, and gets about 40s-50s in the Winter and might, I say might snow 1 or 2 days, The rest of the year the weather is beautiful and since Central Texas is very green and full of water ways and outdoor activities this is perfect weather to enjoy it in.

Sign on bonus?

-No sign on bonus

Please let me know if you have anymore questions at all,

Also we operate on mainly standing orders and our protocols are science based and progressive.

www.wilcoems.org

See above,

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I've heard nothing but great things about Williamson County. Definitely somewhere I would try and get on to if I weren't already set where I'm at. To Hockey: that wage should be plenty for the area, and you'll make "BS" wherever you go ;) I've heard they've got some fairly progressive protocols, too. Would love to see them though

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Random question, do you guys do TMRS for retirement?

And since I get my medic hopefully in a year from now, what's the chances of you guys hiring a brand new Paramedic? I'll have a year and a half rural 911 experience as an EMT-I by the time I get my cert, and if I stay here to do my AAS another year as a rural medic by the time I get my LP

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Hockey, I apologize I forgot to answer the question about what our most common calls are. I have heard our number crunchers say that Chest Pains, Falls, and MVAs are most common, with your genarlized sickness, and such being pretty common as well. However I will say this, I have got to practice more medicene here than I ever would have thought of in San Diego. Williamson County is a Paramedics dream, considering where I came from.

Poeticinjustice: Thanks for the kind words, I have been told that you can access our protocols online, but I have not seen this myself. For someone who is applying you can email our admin staff to request a copy and they will email it to you in pdf form. Protocols include, Nationally recognized STEMI procotol, RSI, Surgical Airway, Dopeamin, EPI, Lido, MAG Sulfate, Pitocin drips. EZ-IO, End Co2, and then all the other common things.

jtpaintball70: Yes, Whenever we have a New hire Academy it seems that alittle over half of the people in it are Brand New out of School Medics with No Medic Exp. We are New Medic Friendly.
Our retirement is TCDRS(Texas Counties & Distrcits Retirement System)

Hockey

Quackers
Fish, thanks for your information. I really don't want to leave Michigan but it sounds like a blast down there.

What kind of uniforms/colors ya'll wear :lol:

I'll look for the protocols as well, would be interesting to see.

Thanks again Fish

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Hockey,

We wear blue EMS style pants that are supplied to us, i buy my own nomex pants tho and where them(not because I want to secretly be a FF, but because they are comfy and cooler during the summer)

We wear white uniform shirts, you have your choice between long or short sleeved, and of the short sleeved ones you can have the regular material or the coolmax material.

other than that we all wear duty belts with our radios, pagers, PPE packs attached to them.

Every Texas EMS service wears there system patch on the right sleeve, and EMS cert on the left, and wears a laminated picture identifier badge with your cert on it.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Hockey,

We wear blue EMS style pants that are supplied to us, i buy my own nomex pants tho and where them(not because I want to secretly be a FF, but because they are comfy and cooler during the summer)

We wear white uniform shirts, you have your choice between long or short sleeved, and of the short sleeved ones you can have the regular material or the coolmax material.

other than that we all wear duty belts with our radios, pagers, PPE packs attached to them.

Every Texas EMS service wears there system patch on the right sleeve, and EMS cert on the left, and wears a laminated picture identifier badge with your cert on it.

Not all of us wear the picture ID. Although I was told that its coming... I know Pecos county (my new PRN) just started issuing picture badges

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Remember the Deadline is the 3rd, but the testing process does not actually start till the 17th.

8jimi8

CFRN

8jimi8

CFRN

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Pretty much. Or two counties south of nm on us285. I work full time in pecos tx (reeves county) and just got a prn gig in ft stockton (Pecos county)

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Pretty much. Or two counties south of nm on us285. I work full time in pecos tx (reeves county) and just got a prn gig in ft stockton (Pecos county)

How is pay and benefits and all that good stuff out there?