Why you are in the EMS Field?

cmktech

Forum Probie
Just thought it would be interesting to learn what drew you in to the ems field and/or why you chose to pursue a career in ems.

1) What is the certifications do you have?

2) What do you do specifically? (EMT, R.N., etc.)

3) What is the most rewarding thing about your job?

4) What are your typical shifts? (hours, days a week)

5) What did you do before you entered the ems field?

6) Why, in general, did you choose your path?

premedtim

Forum Lieutenant
Misery loves company. Where else can I be around this much crap!

Waste management? :lol: sorry guys, I promise I'll make a serious post sometime today.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
National Registry & county EMT-B (EMT-1 in California. Note that's a one, not an I.)

EMT-B, MERT (Medical Emergency Response Team) at my day gig

Hearing positive follow-ups. The cookies that people insist on giving us sometimes.

With the agency that I work for, there are no typical shifts.

UNIX Sysadmin, desktop support, telecom, full time musician, ramp worker at an airport, various temp jobs. I'm still a UNIX system administrator - it's my full time day gig.

Rewarding career. Beats the heck out of sitting in a cubicle all day too!

OP
OP
C

cmktech

Forum Probie
Some guys like fm emt really contribute to this forum, and others like urself premedtim do not. Funny how I can easily infer that from only a couple weeks of lurking and then posting. No wonder this forum is so unpopulated.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Some guys like fm emt really contribute to this forum, and others like urself premedtim do not. Funny how I can easily infer that from only a couple weeks of lurking and then posting. No wonder this forum is so unpopulated.

Hey, lighten up a little there, cmk. First of all, some of us only get a chance to check in once a day or so due to other commitments, and then only to see what's going on. In addition, there have been about 284746 threads on this same subject over the years and I would guess some folks are just not interested in answering them anymore. Third, we have some of the best moderators I've ever seen on this board and they tend to take a dim view of personal attacks. I'll answer your survey later, but I'm already late for work. See you around...

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
cmktech,

I've read far too many books on community-building, and have been an admin of quite a few large communities. Posting any long post, especially a six-pointer, is a huge turn off for a community of any size. Most people visit forums in between doing something else, so answering a long post with lots of questions is usually out of the question... and rarely happens.

That said, I have to be at work in 10 minutes. I got in EMS for the money :)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
EMS, or not?
EMS - PA State EMT-B, AHA BCLS Instructor
Non-EMS - PA State Lethal Weapons Training Act Certified Agent, OCAT, PATH, MOAB, and a few other 4-letter words.

Full-time - Security Officer/EMT.
Part-time - EMT (Paid and Vollie) and Hospital Security

I thrive on stress.

Full-time - 11a-7p M-F.
Vollie - At least 1 6p-12m shift a week.
Part-time - Everywhere else

I didn't have a job. EMS really was my first job.

Because I'm a glutton for punishmend and don't want to go to Medical School.

I got into EMS for the chicks, man! ;)

premedtim

Forum Lieutenant

Well, it's funny you say that cmktech. You see, I would have answered your questions truthfully. Judging by your other posts, however, it's obvious that your main interest in EMS is how much earning potential you have so why should I answer your questions in the first place when your motivation to get into EMS is horrible? Oh yes, if you want to get any decent answers out of anyone, you may want to refrain from personal attacks. Might help you out.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
EMT-B, and a bunch of FD-related stuff. EMT-I is on my wish list, but I've decided to leave the paramedical stuff to others.

I drive an Airport Fire Rescue crash truck (day job) and EMT for a private service (PT)

I like the idea of having no idea what the day will bring. We wash trucks and do station duties on an established schedule, but everything else is on the fly (no pun intended).

Varies, normally 40-48 per week at the full time, and 12-24 at the part-time

Shop rat, shipping and receiving, fork-lift pilot, material handler, volunteer fireman

6) Why, in general, did you choose your path? Kind of a Zen thing; I got laid off from my full time job in the warehouse and entered the Air Force. I was already a firefighter, so I figured I'd stick with what I knew. Never regretted it, and haven't felt like I've worked a day since 1984.

Margaritaville

Forum Lieutenant
In case you were talking to me, here are a few answers to your questions:

1. NREMT-P, ACLS, BTLS, PALS, AHA Instructor, MFRI Fire OFFICER I
2. FF/Paramedic - Career - 3rd service
3. Every day is different
4. 24's
5. College
6. I can't really remember

Now my turn for a comment in response to yours! I noticed in your profile that you are a student. Take this from an educator in this field - These are the years you should be a sponge. If you post a question than expect the unexpected! If you are going into this field for real the unexpected is what you will always get! Be ready!! Also, understand that our personalities tend to be different from the cookie cutter 9 to 5 worker. This is what makes us unique and able to handle everything that comes our way!

Get a few years under your belt and see what kind of humor, tolerance and personality change you have developed!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Hmm.. cert's the usual Instructor levels in PHTLS, ACLS, PALS, BLS, NRP,CCP , CCRN, CEN, CFRN etc.. License.. Paramedic, RN
Critical Care Paramedic; ER/Trauma RN
Autonomy
24 hr on 24 off 3 shifts, 96 off. (10 days a month in the field), about 10 days a month ER (12 hr shifts)
came straight from H.S. > 28 yrs ago
Something I always wanted to pursue, even before Paramedics were invented. I wanted to a Dr. and work in the back of an ambulance, before EMS was introduced.

Now, my question to you is why one wants to know such? Why would want one want to know, or for what reason this would be beneficial ? Is this for some sociological study, make up of EMS personnel?

What difference does it matter..? If you have been "lurking" very much you should had been aware, many of the posters are as well on other EMS forums and some others use different aliases.

I suggest in posting if you want answers to personal questions, you inform why and how information will be used for, what and where the information
will be sent. As others have described, it is much easier to attract with sugar, than vinegar.

R/r 911

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
TinCan - I finially get the name... I think... does it have anything to do with the Proximity Firefighting gear?

As for Certs - I missed a bunch of the "silly little" classes.

Epi-do

I see dead people
1) What is the certifications do you have? EMT-B, AHA CPR instructor, PHTLS, PEPP

2) What do you do specifically? civilian EMT for a fire department

3) What is the most rewarding thing about your job? the unexpected things that come my way

4) What are your typical shifts? (hours, days a week) 24 on, 48 off

5) What did you do before you entered the ems field? microbiology lab tech

6) Why, in general, did you choose your path? I have always been friends with ff's, EMT's, cops. Someone finally suggested that I give EMS a try and have been hooked ever since.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
I drive an Airport Fire Rescue crash truck (day job) and EMT for a private service (PT)

Airport fire dept? Now that is really cool. I didn't know that! When I lived in Seattle, I'd watch the SeaTac fire guys train once in a while. Looked like a really cool gig.

OP
OP
C

cmktech

Forum Probie
Just wanted to clear some things up

Just wanted to clear some things up.

1) I am not interested in ems for the money. Just because I asked what the earning potential is did not mean that I had dollar signs in my eyes.

2) Why am I interested in the ems field?
-ever since I was little, I always grew up wanting to be first on the scene. I always grew up watching ER (yes I know it is not fully accurate and is just a tv show) and always wondered how the patients got to the hospital, not just what the docs did. I always wanted to see documentaries on ambulance drivers and how important emts are to saving lives and getting patients to the hospital. I still have not seen a documentary. However, what has happened is a small burning flame inside me has been ignited over the past years as I went through highschool wanting to be a emt. After highschool, I went to college because that was what my parents wanted. Then I came across schools that offered EMT certification. I knew I wanted to take one but I couldn't since I was going to college and wouldn't have the time. Now I realize I am an adult and education is not what I want right now. I really want to expect the unexpected and have a non-structured day. I want to not know what I will be dealing with next, and I want to have the satisfaction of knowing I tried my best to help a patient get the care they need. I want to become emt-b certified and work in an ambulance. I want to never work a day in my life because being an EMT is not work in my book, it is doing what you love to do, a passion, and if being passionate about something and pursuing it is a job, then I am okay with that. Contrary to what some may believe, I want to be a EMT because that is what I am truly passionate about.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Some guys like fm emt really contribute to this forum,

I dunno if I contribute much of anything useful aside from bad jokes. :D There are quite a few people around here with oodles of experience, and I've learned plenty of things from them.
One of the reasons I'm in this field is to keep learning things. Whether it's from textbooks, coworkers, or the experienced people you'll find around here, it's great to keep learning new things. :)