Why we never run...

jester_1269

Forum Probie
I was green...very green...got called out to a 10-0. Had no idea what that was. Finally asked the other EMT "well, what do you need, I'll get it ready." to which she replied "ya know, I dont know...". Great. So we get there and I ask what a 10-0 was. "DOA" came the reply. The other EMT walked in first while I helped park the bus in a very muddy parking area. As the driver and I went in the EMT came trotting down the hallway, points at me and says "Hey, go get the AED!" Instantly adrenaline starts pumping, my mind races, and I run...yes, run...to the truck. I JUMP in, GRAB the AED, and RUN back inside to the awaiting EMT, family, and driver. All of which looking right at me with a quizzical look on their faces. "Why'd you run?" the EMT asked "She's been dead for hours...we just need to hook it up to verify it for the coroner when he gets here."

Which is why I never, ever, run.

We were all newbies once, right?

Sasha

Forum Chief
I never run because I run like a dork :]

I was told that Medics/EMTs as a profession never run by an instructor because it's not your emergency, you can't asses scene safety very well running in, and it makes patients and bystanders anxious.

And it would really suck tripping and falling and braking the lifepack you were carrying for your arrest patient :]

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
I never run because I'm already burnt out and I don't really care enough to run.

gillysaurus

Forum Lieutenant
^ LMAO!!

At least he gave himself some more work to do. Stand-bys at games can get so boring!

JPINFV

Gadfly
I don't run because then I'll be out of breath by the time I reach the patient.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
This reminds me of many years ago there was a show called Rescue 911, it was hosted by William Shatner. It basically had re-enactments of life saving calls.

There was a call that I responded on in which a female was ran-over by a car with a child and saved by a bystander that was ran over during the event. We were to reenact this and the producer was irritated because we refused to run to our units and then refused to run to the patient. In fact my partner (who NEVER became excited on anything) walked very slowly. They were appalled that we would not rush in .. We explained the difference between their world and ours.

R/r 911

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Rid, your OLD! Hehehe I love that show but its old. All the firemen run to the rig in that show, its hilarious.

sarahharter

Forum Crew Member
i dont run cuz im a clutz from hell and i trip over myself just walking can you imagine what would happen if i ran?!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
The first time I watched Rescue 911 I was 6 and I called 911 and said "My mommy has fallen and can't get up" and left the phone off the hook.

'twas my first meeting with a LEO!!! And the only time on the bad side!

raisingkahne9

Forum Probie
I liked Rescue 911, because I dont think that there was one episode that I watched, that someone had actually died, I guess they didnt want to show that side of reality.

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
I ran to the fire engine once and my fire captain yelled at me and told me not to run, so thus I don't run anymore.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
That's funny, I regularly run to the rig. Usually at night, when we're level 2 or 3 (and they didn't tell us) and we were out of the rig when we get a call that we MIGHT make it to on time. No, we don't get out of the rig if we know levels are low.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
I ran to the fire engine once and my fire captain yelled at me and told me not to run, so thus I don't run anymore.

That's because they're too fat to keep up with you!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I know why I don't run at the firestation anymore.

I was at the firestation one night sleeping for my clinicals. We only had 3 calls the WHOLE day before, when 12-15 is the norm in 24 hours.

So, we got to go to sleep at 9, and went to 6 with no calls. At 6 AM, the alarm goes off, I jump out of my bed, grabbed my steth, and ran out to the truck.

I stood there like an idiot for a few seconds, not seeing another firefighter until my preceptor came out laughing. "Oh, I forgot to tell you, we test the station alarm every morning at 6am"

They proceeded to do that to every student that had clinicals there.

-_-

Summit

Critical Crazy
On my second ambulance run ever I was told, "We don't run. We do the EMT-Walk(tm)."

I remember watching Rescue 911. It was so hard to ever take Shatner seriously. I enjoyed the show though.

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
I do not run. Unless in mortal danger. And even then, I prefer to fight.

Later!

--Coop