why we do what we do

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Chewy does not work for SAFD...

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a plenty of money left over every month and work two days a week. So I don't buy that either. Others on here have the same setup. It is stressfull finding stuff to do when I am not napping though!
This attitude is why people hate Fire Depts right now. Thanks for adding fuel to the fire...

For the record, I left a higher paying slow "cake" FD job with a clear path of upward mobility to actually DO the job. At the end of the day, I prefer the quality of the work I do to be validated by services rendered and skills performed; not by oversized trucks, trips to the lake, silicone girlfriends and how often I sleep at work.

But that's just me.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
This attitude is why people hate Fire Depts right now. Thanks for adding fuel to the fire...

For the record, I left a higher paying slow "cake" FD job with a clear path of upward mobility to actually DO the job. At the end of the day, I prefer the quality of the work I do to be validated by services rendered and skills performed; not by oversized trucks, trips to the lake, silicone girlfriends and how often I sleep at work.

But that's just me.

Sorry you took that so hard? lol I work for a third service.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Chewy... You are the 1%'er of the EMS world, or at least you present your situation as such.

We all know you've got a cake job; in every topic (wage related or not) you bring it up.

Your experience is not relevant to the 99% of the rest of us outside of SAFD in the private sector.

Get some new material bud ;)
We all envy you and want to work 3rd service for an FD... You are the man...

At least someone recognizes what I am...I like where I work for the most part, I am sorry that my posts are positive about the place I chose to work, and not bashing it like every other person on here about their work place. It's not some exclusive club I am trying to rub in peoples faces. Yall can work here too, except for @STXmedic and @TransportJockey. They dont like us ;)

Also, I will be the first to admit my department has problems.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
The only thing I don't like about where chewy works is that I would have to wait two years before even thinking about being a medic. (And that it is in Texas...). And once I finish medic school I want to be a medic.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
The only thing I don't like about where chewy works is that I would have to wait two years before even thinking about being a medic. (And that it is in Texas...). And once I finish medic school I want to be a medic.

That is one of the downfalls, though the last group was only required to be here a year. Hopefully civil service changes that permanantly in the future, but for now we will keep getting waivers to bypass it. City is growing to fast and we need more people promoted. Don't blame anyone for that being a reason to not come here though, I would probably think twice if I was a medic with expeirience.

PotatoMedic

That is one of the downfalls, though the last group was only required to be here a year. Hopefully civil service changes that permanantly in the future, but for now we will keep getting waivers to bypass it. City is growing to fast and we need more people promoted. Don't blame anyone for that being a reason to not come here though, I would probably think twice if I was a medic with expeirience.
I just filled out an info card. Time to start buttering up the wife about Texas. (I can't believe I am even considering living in Texas...)

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I just filled out an info card. Time to start buttering up the wife about Texas. (I can't believe I am even considering living in Texas...)

Haha my girlfriend keeps telling me to move to seattle. Let me know if you have any questions about the area.

Youll notice Austin is not real Texas, is probably a lot like Seattle.

PotatoMedic

I just don't do heat. And I like mountains and snow. But... Decisions.

Angel

Paramedic
That is one of the downfalls, though the last group was only required to be here a year. Hopefully civil service changes that permanantly in the future, but for now we will keep getting waivers to bypass it.

Can you elaborate? Here or PM?