rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Ambulance drivers should be considered professional drivers.:rolleyes:

WannaBeFlight

Forum Lieutenant
Very funny, but great points.

JPINFV

Gadfly
But my point is that even if no disrespect is intented, isn't the fact that they don't know proving that they don't really understand the EMS field, a measure of disrespect for what we do?

No, it's simple ignorance, and there's nothing wrong with that. Do you know the difference between an non-interventional cardiologist, an interventional cardiologist, and an electrophysiologist?

How about the difference between a cook, sous chef, and executive chef? Do you not respect the people you pay to cook your food or something if you don't know the difference?

As to the original post, is it bad that I roll my eyes, shake my head, and mutter under my breath every time I see something sappy like this?

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Yeah, it's been posted before.

And the thread went on to the "well some people ARE only ambulance drivers" segway.

You know, I've always kinda of wanted to try a Segway. Too odd and expensive to own and operate on a regular basis, but it would be nice to just try one out some time.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Like NASCAR? I thought that people here were pissed at teh thought of us "owning" the road. ;)
NASCAR? Wouldn't work. We have to turn Left AND Right!

You know, I've always kinda of wanted to try a Segway. Too odd and expensive to own and operate on a regular basis, but it would be nice to just try one out some time.

This scary. I was about to qoute that too.... but hesitated because it was over a week old.
Look at my avatar - I LOVE my Segway... with my special blue light!

In all seriousness - I've tried them several times - fun to play with.

Last edited by a moderator:

zzyzx

Forum Captain
"Death is all around me and still i go home to live my life
i get kicked,hit,spit on, bled on, puked on,cussed at and disrespected…
i look into the eyes of a lifeless child at 7am and by 8 am i’m holding my child a little tighter and they know nothing about what happened. i have hundreds of hours of classroom time
years of in the field experience i have challenged death and won."

Does anyone know where this EMT works? Sounds like they get great calls out there. Bullets whizzing past your head as your intubating, challenging death and winning on a daily basis, wow, that's awesome.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
No, it's simple ignorance, and there's nothing wrong with that. Do you know the difference between an non-interventional cardiologist, an interventional cardiologist, and an electrophysiologist?

How about the difference between a cook, sous chef, and executive chef? Do you not respect the people you pay to cook your food or something if you don't know the difference?

As to the original post, is it bad that I roll my eyes, shake my head, and mutter under my breath every time I see something sappy like this?

What is this???? Common Sense????? A rational approach without the 'chip on the shoulder' arrogance and hurty feelers????? Arrrggggghhhh.... this forum is soooooo going down hill!

Thanks JP. You have restored my faith!

JPINFV

Gadfly
i look into the eyes of a lifeless child at 7am and by 8 am i’m holding my child a little tighter and they know nothing about what happened. i have hundreds of hours of classroom time

Does anyone know where this EMT works? Sounds like they get great calls out there. Bullets whizzing past your head as your intubating, challenging death and winning on a daily basis, wow, that's awesome.

Why does that remind me of this scenario from the Less Stress EMS sim page?

http://www.lessstress.com/simulator/s24/24000.htm

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief

That is sooooo what is going through my head at 02:45 when I'm helping the drooling, obese, diabetic CHF pt off the commode and back to bed.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief

I've tried one. For some reason I just couldn't balance right to feel all that comfortable controlling it. But, the cops at our local outdoor mall seem to love them (Remind me, I'll take you there when you get back out here).

JPINFV

Gadfly
Why am I willing to bet that Irvine Spectrum will/already has one. I remember seeing them at an airport a few years ago for their security.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Why am I willing to bet that Irvine Spectrum will/already has one. I remember seeing them at an airport a few years ago for their security.

Hmmm, I'll bet they do, or will soon. I don't venture into OC much, I VERY much prefer the IE. (909 Baybee! :p)

paramedichopeful

Forum Lieutenant
FINALLY!!! I have wanted to say something about this for a long time but never found a good opportunity. What I'm sick of is people thinking that if they become an EMT/Medic then they can drive a multi-ton vehicle 100 MPH with L/S and blow through intersections, race down a highway, and get there just in time to shock the pt. back to life, like they're some kind of God. Wake up, people!!! The thing with the driving a LITTLE faster then the speed limit is that you only do it when it's absolutely necessary and it is safe to do so. Thanks to all the TV bullcrap everybody thinks that an ambulance is meant to be driven full blast and race like a sprint car. Then you get these whackers that put lights on their POV and drive like a bat outta hell to the scene, risking the lives of everyone else on the roadway just so they can look like some kind of damn hero. People need to make the decision, whether they want to be a :censored::censored::censored::censored:in phony *** race car driver that thinks they are some big :censored::censored::censored::censored:in hero, or if they want to go out there, do the job right, and make a difference in the community by helping others and caring, which is what the job is about to begin with. ...../ end rant. Excuse my french

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
call me ambulance driver all you want. It only gets to me when people use it as a derogatory term (*cough*certain triage nurses at certain level 1 trauma centers*cough*). Not going to yell at a patient though, although I have taken time with some patients to discuss the various levels if I felt they were interested. Like if an older woman or maybe a patient that justn eeds to be talked to asks or says something about it, I'll say something "Actually did you know there are different levels of care that ambualances can provide." I've yet to have a patient who wasn't interested or atleast saying "oh, huh, I didn't know that"

Poem is crap though.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't, that is just plain stupid. That is what the Police are trained to do.

Everytime you step into a patient's house you're putting yourself in harm's way. Don't think that just because PD has "secured the scene" that it means it's safe.

kecpercussion

Forum Lieutenant
FINALLY!!! I have wanted to say something about this for a long time but never found a good opportunity. What I'm sick of is people thinking that if they become an EMT/Medic then they can drive a multi-ton vehicle 100 MPH with L/S and blow through intersections, race down a highway, and get there just in time to shock the pt. back to life, like they're some kind of God. Wake up, people!!! The thing with the driving a LITTLE faster then the speed limit is that you only do it when it's absolutely necessary and it is safe to do so. Thanks to all the TV bullcrap everybody thinks that an ambulance is meant to be driven full blast and race like a sprint car. Then you get these whackers that put lights on their POV and drive like a bat outta hell to the scene, risking the lives of everyone else on the roadway just so they can look like some kind of damn hero. People need to make the decision, whether they want to be a :censored::censored::censored::censored:in phony *** race car driver that thinks they are some big :censored::censored::censored::censored:in hero, or if they want to go out there, do the job right, and make a difference in the community by helping others and caring, which is what the job is about to begin with. ...../ end rant. Excuse my french

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Raise the entry to practice standard from 120 hours to something out of the first world and maybe we'll be getting somewhere to cut down on the numbers of two-night-a-week-and-a-Saturday whackers who want to do nothing but drive p1!

Oh and can we please please please get rid of fifty million titles; are we Paramedics, Ambulance Officers, Intensive Care Paramedics, Advanced Paramedics, EMTs etc ... that doesn't help out!