. - Why I got into EMS

jedirye

Forum Lieutenant
I got into EMS because the wait for a decent R.N. program was too long. Albeit not the greatest of reasons, but a reason nonetheless. I ended up falling in love with EMS, finishing basic, medic, and the AS in EMS. I just fairly recently quit my job to go to nursing school full time, knowing that I might not work as a nurse right away but just to get the cert. Once again, not the greatest of reasons, but a reason nonetheless. I am three months in and finding it extremely difficult to keep on pluggin'. My grades are great because it is not difficult, but I am lacking motivation to keep this up. It's actually rather wearing doing something you really have no desire to do. It also feels like I've started and stopped too many things in my life to just quit this on a whim. I was/am at a time in my life where this was financially possible so I took the plunge. Dear God what a plunge. Back to the daily grind I suppose; I've got a few nursing plans and diagnoses to formulate..............................

-rye

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
good for you... go for it!!!!!

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
I got into EMS because the wait for a decent R.N. program was too long. Albeit not the greatest of reasons, but a reason nonetheless. I ended up falling in love with EMS, finishing basic, medic, and the AS in EMS. I just fairly recently quit my job to go to nursing school full time, knowing that I might not work as a nurse right away but just to get the cert. Once again, not the greatest of reasons, but a reason nonetheless. I am three months in and finding it extremely difficult to keep on pluggin'. My grades are great because it is not difficult, but I am lacking motivation to keep this up. It's actually rather wearing doing something you really have no desire to do. It also feels like I've started and stopped too many things in my life to just quit this on a whim. I was/am at a time in my life where this was financially possible so I took the plunge. Dear God what a plunge. Back to the daily grind I suppose; I've got a few nursing plans and diagnoses to formulate..............................

-rye

I know what you mean. I've started and quit quite a few things in my life too and I want that trend to end. If you're finding that you don't like nursing and don't see yourself as a nurse, then maybe you should get out of it now while you're not that far into it. But it really depends on what your goals are and you are the only one who can answer that. Maybe be a full-time paramedic instead or suck it up and finish nursing school and become an ER nurse if you love ER medicine.