Why don't a lot of EMTs go on to paramedic school?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Most of the EMTs that don't go medic know that they either won't cut it or don't want the added responsibility.

Some people like being followers rather than leaders, and others just don't want the headache and paperwork that comes with the job.

That's another reason a lot of medics like going fire. There is a lot less paperwork on EMS calls.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
Most of the EMTs that don't go medic know that they either won't cut it or don't want the added responsibility.

Some people like being followers rather than leaders, and others just don't want the headache and paperwork that comes with the job.

Then you have those that are looking beyond EMS to allied health care professions that require degrees. Paramedic school might not have high academic requirements or standards, but it is time consuming and expensive, so it doesnt make much sense for EMTs who are studying to be RNs or PAs or RTs etc to go to Paramedic school.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Then you have those that are looking beyond EMS to allied health care professions that require degrees. Paramedic school might not have high academic requirements or standards, but it is time consuming and expensive, so it doesnt make much sense for EMTs who are studying to be RNs or PAs or RTs etc to go to Paramedic school.

Especially when, in many states, a PA or RN can challenge the paramedic exam.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Our closest Medic college program is 120 away.. I can't commute like that.. I'd love to go to the University of MN, but it's just not reasonable for me.

Ecgg

Forum Lieutenant

I tend to agree that EMT's who's goal is to become RN's, PA's or RT's going to paramedic school by far is not ideal. That time and money can be better spent devoted to pre-reqs, tuition, books for your desired goal.

Whenever EMT's ask me "Is paramedic school worth it?" I in good continence cannot recommend it.

Due to ridiculous unprofessionalism, self study nature, very likely rotations with folks who would fail you as a way to say "we don't want students" but cannot say so legally. Unrealistic expectations from instructors who don't even bother teaching etc....

Not to mention when you get hired you will be treated as a driver, have to cover your *** from all the angles imaginable, and get crappy salary on top of a model where education means absolutely nothing.

There is only 1 group of people I would say consider paramedic school with caveat emptor approach. If your goal is to be a physician and medical school is the only thing you see in your future. Paramedic school is for you because of the ridiculous unprofessionalism as it will teach you how to be an independent thinker, how to cover your ***, how to locate proper medical education and because you will pay out of your pocket for it you will never be content in your current position. The salary, working conditions, how you are treated will serve as a fire under your *** to grind through your college course work because you know there is nothing that is waiting for you if you quit.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
That's a pretty negative outlook on Paramedic school and EMS as a whole...

SKD

Forum Ride Along
RE: why don't more EMTs go to medic school

Money and time constraints, as paramedic school is expensive and it is hard to work and make enough to pay for school, food, car payment ect. A lot of EMTs get burnt out and realize that EMS is kind of a hassle and change their minds. Also the pay isn't always that great for medics starting out.

J B

Forum Lieutenant
So much seems to depend on your company, area, dispatchers, etc...

As a newbie/student, the impression I get is that BLS / IFT kinda sucks no matter where you go, but ALS can be a really sweet gig if you find a good place.

I'm sure this varies depending on what area of the country you're in, as well. From reading on here, it seems like trying to do EMS in CA is miserable because the supply of workers so far exceeds the demand. Where I am, medics are in short supply and it seems like if you had a little experience it wouldn't be hard to shop around for a good company/work environment.

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
I think I've posted in this thread before but here's another angle- The same reason most people stay paralegals instead of becoming lawyers or remaining secretaries instead of becoming managers, so on and so forth.

People are lazy, get complacent, get stuck in the grind. It's human nature to be comfortable in a static environment.

But I think it's mostly the schooling and cost that deters people. A lot of EMS folk I know don't have a college degree. Two years of schools seems like a lot to that kind of individual.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
A lot of EMS folk I know don't have a college degree. Two years of schools seems like a lot to that kind of individual.

Here in Canada to be an ACP (known as EMTP or NRP in the USA) it's 3 years minimum 1 year for PCP/EMTR and 2 years for ACP/EMTP. The province of Ontario is different they require their PCP/EMT to take a 2 year prtogram and ACP/EMTp is 1 year. As well in Alberta they have a 4 year degree program in EMS it's a zero to hero program where you leave as a ACP/EMTP.

medic741

Forum Probie
Ny

In NY it feels like >50% of EVERY EMT class is full of college kids who are in EMS only for premed and will never recert, be very active, or go commercial.

For those who have been EMTs for a while "I don't want the extra responsibility" is a frequent one.

For those on the fence - go Paramedic!!!

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Whenever EMT's ask me "Is paramedic school worth it?" I in good continence cannot recommend it.

And I cannot in good conscience recommend medic school for people who confuse conscience and continence...

boydel8

Forum Ride Along
I can only speak on behalf of the students that took the EMT class with me. On talking to many of them the motivation for EMT was:

1) Looks good when applying to nursing school

2) Looks good when applying to med school

3) looks good when applying to PA school

4) looks good when applying to a respitory therapist program or some other allied health program

5) I need to get paid and being an EMT pays more than minimum wage.

Very few saw EMT as a full time career and even fewer had a desire to go the paramedic route. Their reason being, "The intensity and diffcutly of medic training to only get 3-5$ more than an EMT is not worth it, I might as well go nursing".

I suppose I am guilty somewhat. I did emt for nursing school-flat out, I won't deny it, I won't hide it, I never had any plan of making emt fulltime or gong beyond a basic. And I guess I can say it did work, I am in a nursing program now, set to begin clincals in the fall 2013 and as weird as it is, I am antsy as hell right now because I want to start clincals now as opposed to waiting until September.

That being said I think being an emt helped me solidify my want to be a nurse. And I will never disparage those who chose to go the EMT route.

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
A lot of EMT also just don't think they are smart enough to go through medic school and others just don't fill the need to go advanced. I know medics that say its one of the hardest things they have done but was totally worth it. For me I like to keep advancing my knowledge about emergencies and learning new things that I can do to help in those situations.

VA Transport EMT

Forum Crew Member
All of the above. I know a LOT of EMTs that just don't have any interest in any additional education. EMTs in Delaware can make more than $20/hr. Why would they give that up to go to medic school, when they can work part time for 4 or 5 fire comapnies and ride ambulances 80+ hours a week.

where can an emt make $20 hourly?

Arovetli

Forum Captain
where can an emt make $20 hourly?

There is one big southern city I know of you can get pretty close to this, and a medic can exceed it.

Easy 60k for a medic in my hometown at certain transport services, 50+ in 911. EMTs arent too far behind, maybe ten percent less. But you'll work for it.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
There is one big southern city I know of you can get pretty close to this, and a medic can exceed it.

Easy 60k for a medic in my hometown at certain transport services, 50+ in 911. EMTs arent too far behind, maybe ten percent less. But you'll work for it.

Where might this be? I'm guessing Atlanta, but as someone looking for a move to a large southern city and as a newer medic looking to gain some solid experience I'm curious.

Arovetli

Forum Captain
Where might this be? I'm guessing Atlanta, but as someone looking for a move to a large southern city and as a newer medic looking to gain some solid experience I'm curious.

Yes, the ATL.

It pays well but comes with a price.

You will need more than this to live happily there though.

Last edited by a moderator: