Who wants a HOT PINK Littmann????

firedog3700

Forum Probie
I can't be the only one, so I sent 3M a little e-mail with my request and my reasons.

Let me know what you think.

As a fire fighter of 19 years, and EMT-B of 7 years, and a current
Paramedic student, please take into consideration my request for a new
color for Littmann Stethoscope tubing. I believe that hot pink or neon
green would be a fantastic niche-market seller for the following reasons.

1. It's different. No other high quality stethoscope manufacturer
offers these colors.
2. When working an incident late at night, out in the open, a hot pink
or neon green stetho is much easier to locate when you happen to sit
it down in the grass/lawn. (Trust me when I say I speak from
experience, having laid a black stetho down and been unable to locate
it, all the while my patients were staring, waiting, etc.
3. No one in EMS or the Fire Service is going to steal a hot pink
stetho. Much too much machismo to be caught using one of this color,
unless you are completely secure in your masculinity, or are
feminine.
4. If someone does happen to steal your hot pink stetho, you WILL be
able to locate it the next time you work an incident with the thief.

I would like it to be offered in either the Lightweight or Classic II
model, as the higher-priced models are 1. out of my current price range,
and 2. are much too good at what they do for the types of incidents we
handle.

I make this request in all seriousness (and hopefully a touch of humor), as
I currently use a hot-pink Sprague-type stetho on the fire department, and
my Lightweight Littmann when working with EMS.

Thank you for your time, and I await your response.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I know that other brands make hot pink scopes. There was a nurse that had one during my ED rotation, but it matched her scrubs. :lol:

Medic744

Forum Captain
I have the baby pink one that they offered a few years ago during Oct Breast Cancer Awarness, it was a gift from my boyfriend at the time. I was the only person I knew with it, but I dont ever carry it but it does look good hanging in my closet.

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
With the quality of the request letter maybe you should be a lobbyist???

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Seconded. Nice letter, and that would probably tip the balance in favor of upgrading my stethoscope.

Besides, there's this one service near me that has gray uniform pants, and it would match nicely if I ever go back to working for them. Okay, so I missed out on the "machismo" bit.

JonTullos

Forum Captain
I'm with you! I've always said I would get the ugliest scope I could find because no one would steal it. I will buy a pink or neon green if they make it!

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Is own a neon gren one for sure. Partly because I'm a huge techno fan and partly cause I love that color :p

MIkePrekopa

Forum Crew Member
I would consider it. I am very partial to all black, but as you have mentioned, that could disappear in a dark scene.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
my first steth was hot pink. my littmann is a marroon, the most obnoxious color littmann was making at the time. I would be all over a bright obnoxious, littmann as they stand out from the standard black characteristic of medical profesionals in my area.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Much hotter. Needs to look like it takes batteries just to power the color.
Nice.

At one point, I had a cheap steth I used working transports that was very pink. I had matching pink trauma shears.

In medic clinical rotations though a busy Level 1 trauma center... If I walked in with black/blue shears, I would loose them before the shift was out. I ALWAYS got my pink shears back... even having a PGYII resident find me on the other side of the ER to return them.

paramedichopeful

Forum Lieutenant
The pink would make perfect sense. Since we are healthcare providers, it would speak powerful volumes about how concerned we are with the health of our communites. Imagine this: getting a call for a terminal breast cancer patient who is having problems with depression and is not eating or taking her medication. When you wheel the cot into the ambo and sit down beside her to check the BP, she will see the pink stetho and realize that it's for cancer awareness and maybe she will start to feel a little bit better because she sees that people care. Or something like that. I am a bit of an amateur psychologist, so this is just one of many little theories I come up with. lol now if I could devise a theory to why people do stupid things and end up in your ambo......now wouldn't that be nice, although it would kill our job security somewhat. Just puttin that out there. :) :)

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I found out someone's giving me a black Littmann for Christmas. It'll be engraved, but I'm thinking of judiciously applying nail polish so that I can tell it apart from others and find it easier. It's worked well for me with cell phones, calculators, and all sorts of other common devices in the past.

Kookaburra

Forum Lieutenant
We have a blaze orange stethoscope in the lab supplies for my paramedic class- that would be handy on a dark scene!

I use the same system for my luggage - I have a hideous pink suitcase from the 70s. I can always spot it right away in the baggage claim, and it's never been stolen or misplaced.^_^

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
The pink would make perfect sense. Since we are healthcare providers, it would speak powerful volumes about how concerned we are with the health of our communites. Imagine this: getting a call for a terminal breast cancer patient who is having problems with depression and is not eating or taking her medication. When you wheel the cot into the ambo and sit down beside her to check the BP, she will see the pink stetho and realize that it's for cancer awareness and maybe she will start to feel a little bit better because she sees that people care. Or something like that. I am a bit of an amateur psychologist, so this is just one of many little theories I come up with. lol now if I could devise a theory to why people do stupid things and end up in your ambo......now wouldn't that be nice, although it would kill our job security somewhat. Just puttin that out there. :) :)

lolwut?

I just want a pretty (and unstealable) pink Littmann.
But I'm sure whatever you were on about was lovely.

I will not rant about breast cancer marketing. I will not rant about breast cancer marketing. I will not rant about breast cancer marketing. I will not rant about breast cancer marketing.I will not rant about breast cancer marketing.I will not rant about breast cancer marketing.I will not rant about breast cancer marketing.

Kookaburra

Forum Lieutenant
lolwut?
I will not rant about breast cancer marketing. I will not rant about breast cancer marketing. I will not rant about breast cancer marketing. I will not rant about breast cancer marketing.I will not rant about breast cancer marketing.I will not rant about breast cancer marketing.I will not rant about breast cancer marketing.

BUT IT'S THE MOST FASHIONABLE CANCER THERE IS!!11!!

Never mind that nobody knows or will hold corps accountable for how much funding ACTUALLY goes to breast cancer research, or the myriad of problems with the Susan G. Komen foundation *grumblemumblearrrrrgh*