Where to take my paramedic prerequisites,UCLA or Saddleback

slewy

Forum Lieutenant
I've been working as an EMT for a 911 company in LA for the past 6 months, and I'm wondering which program you would recommend. I am almost positive I want to attend Freeman Paramedic program when I am complete with the prerequisites, however I do not know where I should take them at. I have not heard the best things about Saddleback, but it's near my house. Has anyone taken the Paramedic Prep course at either and can shed some light?

Thanks

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
There shouldn't be a prereq for UCLA besides the experience as an EMT and the standard EMT and CPR card that wont expire through the program. Yes it helps to have ACLS, PALS, prep course, etc, but it only gives you points to help on your application. I didn't take any of those courses when I got in, so it is possible.

JPINFV

Gadfly
There shouldn't be a prereq for UCLA besides the experience as an EMT and the standard EMT and CPR card that wont expire through the program. Yes it helps to have ACLS, PALS, prep course, etc, but it only gives you points to help on your application. I didn't take any of those courses when I got in, so it is possible.

Quick question, are you doing/did undergrad at UCLA in addition to the paramedic program?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Moved to Education and Training forum.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
I've been working as an EMT for a 911 company in LA for the past 6 months, and I'm wondering which program you would recommend. I am almost positive I want to attend Freeman Paramedic program when I am complete with the prerequisites, however I do not know where I should take them at. I have not heard the best things about Saddleback, but it's near my house. Has anyone taken the Paramedic Prep course at either and can shed some light?

Thanks

Keep in mind this info is from 2006 BUT I would do everything at Saddleback except that joke A+P course, it really helped me when I went through medic school.

OP
OP
S

slewy

Forum Lieutenant
I took my 12-lead class at Saddleback, but I heard the paramedic prep class is a joke at Saddleback. Did you take the prep at Saddleback?

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
I took my 12-lead class at Saddleback, but I heard the paramedic prep class is a joke at Saddleback. Did you take the prep at Saddleback?

Yes. It was taught by Randy Hardick, who as I understand is now running the medic program, his 1st semester at the college was my EMT program and I really enjoyed the class. It pretty much covered the 1st semester of my medic program so it really was beneficial for me. I dont know how much its changed since 06-07.