where to go?...hmmm where to go?

piranah

Forum Captain
hello everyone.as some may know I am soon to be getting my medic ticket for national + RI. RI pays crappy for medics due to the mentality that "well cardiacs can do it" and "we don't need medics"....so I'm looking at other states....any suggestions...i would like a fairly busy 911 system but don't mind a lil transfer...also if you have some good company names to throw out there...I'm 19 with no wife or house so I'm basically able to go anywhere....

ILemt

Forum Lieutenant
Being 19 alot of states won't let you work 911 due to age limits on the liability coverage. (in some states you can't even apply to take a basic class til you are 21)
If you are 19 and unmarried move to the southern coast and get hired on as a medic on an oil rig. I've heard the pay can be as high as 100 grand for a month on-month off stint. (And think of the cuties on the beach who would love to hang out with a rich stud. )

Just a thought

If you have your heart set on working a BUSY 911 system, look at Austin-Travis County in Texas (highest ALS call rate) and
Newark NJ - specifically "University EMS"
( highest 911 call volume but they use BLS as first out unit)

others include Miami Dade and of course Los Angeles County

Last edited by a moderator:

reaper

Working Bum
Most states age limits are 18 years old. Now many services won't let you drive till you are 21, due to ins. regulations. You may be able to hire on with a service as a treatment provider only. You would have a partner that does all the driving, you wll treat all the Pt's.

You just have to check around with different services.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
hello everyone.as some may know I am soon to be getting my medic ticket for national + RI. RI pays crappy for medics due to the mentality that "well cardiacs can do it" and "we don't need medics"....so I'm looking at other states....any suggestions...i would like a fairly busy 911 system but don't mind a lil transfer...also if you have some good company names to throw out there...I'm 19 with no wife or house so I'm basically able to go anywhere....

H+H. get a mass ticket and get on with h+h as a basic. work a couple years bls(at 20/hr doing pure urban 911) and get promotoed to a medic truck. i cant remember what theya re paying day one medics, but if basics are making 20, i wouldnt worry.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Doesnt pay well, but come down here to Florida and work for EVAC, Rural Metro, AMR, Polk County EMS or Health Central EMS. The companies suck but the experience you will walk away with is amazing.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
H+H. get a mass ticket and get on with h+h as a basic. work a couple years bls(at 20/hr doing pure urban 911) and get promotoed to a medic truck. i cant remember what theya re paying day one medics, but if basics are making 20, i wouldnt worry.

N.B. H+H=BostonEMS for our non-ma$$ hole friends.
Boston really does pay well, but you train and work hard for that $$. If you want to stay in NE, consider Worcester EMS (WEMS), or some of the services in ME, they treat their medics well...
I reccomend you start calling services up-- ask what they can offer, and you tout what you can give them...

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
sorry im old school. its always been h+h to me

boston city hospital

the deac and beth isreal being different places.

all of my friends and teachers and mentors in this business when i got started were silverbacks. i know at least a half dozen 5 digit emts.

Oregon

Forum Crew Member
Not busy-busy

Do you have three college A&P classes? Reciprocity here requires that, and I hear the pay tops out at $20 an hour, but the scenery can't be beat, an hour to the mountains and snowboarding, an hour to the ocean and surfing.
10 minutes to a wussy whitewater river, and half an hour to some places that people die all the time at.
Plenty of drunk homeless guys, shootings,stabbings, whatever, just to spice up the nights, if you are into that kind of thing.
AMR or Metro West are the majority companies around here.

OP
OP
piranah

piranah

Forum Captain
well....Florida sounds nice but i just don't like the heat...I live on an island so surfing Isn't far and I'm an hour or so away from my beloved snowboarding...anyho......I'm seriously considering Boston...but i guess only time will tell...any more suggestions....?

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
well....Florida sounds nice but i just don't like the heat...I live on an island so surfing Isn't far and I'm an hour or so away from my beloved snowboarding...anyho......I'm seriously considering Boston...but i guess only time will tell...any more suggestions....?

The Pacific NW has snowboarding, surfing, no heat like florida, mountains for hiking, cities for nightlife.. best of all possible worlds.

C.Beach

Forum Ride Along
Looking for opinions on Oregon. Metro West and Pacific West..

Hi. I'm new as of today. Currently I'm in Michigan, full time EMT-B student. I'm intrested in getting more info/research on Oregon. Especially info or opinions about Metro West and Pacific West.

Thank you in advance,
C

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
+1 for Washington state.

Rookie

Forum Probie
The Pacific NW has snowboarding, surfing, no heat like florida, mountains for hiking, cities for nightlife.. best of all possible worlds.

Beautiful region. But from my experience it's always been cold and wet up there. I'll stick with so cal :)

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Hi. I'm new as of today. Currently I'm in Michigan, full time EMT-B student. I'm intrested in getting more info/research on Oregon. Especially info or opinions about Metro West and Pacific West.

Thank you in advance,
C
Stay away from Metro-West. I'd go into how they get called "metro-death" "murder-west" and "murder-death" but that would just be rude of me. ;) PacWest on the other hand...though they are part of the metro-west empire they are run as a seperate division and run pretty well. They only work the coast, so that's something you'll want to take into consideration. And, unfortunately, I don't think they are hiring right now.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
The PNW is one of the worst places to work in EMS, unless you want to work as a Fire/Medic.

Now, having said that, King County Medic One pays great ... but they have a very arduous training program (read: medic school for another year).

As soon as I finish medic school, I'm outta here!

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Beautiful region. But from my experience it's always been cold and wet up there. I'll stick with so cal :)

The PNW is. But if you want the same activities without the rain and gloom, come to the Inland NW. Absolutly beautiful out here. No rain from May thru October, plenty of hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, skiing and boarding that (according to some) rivals Utah and Colorado, climbing and rapping, you name it. Not as much nightlife as, say, SeaTac area, but for me that is not that big a deal.

n7lix, what wrong with Fire/Medic? As much as some hate it, it is the future of EMS......

~~~~~~~~~~~

But now even though this thread is pretty old, if you want to make money, check out the Alaska State Troopers. They run just about every non-city emergency and law service in the state. I beleive they run the rural amb services and supposedly they pay pretty good. But you do have to go to Alaska.........obviously.

Rookie

Forum Probie
The PNW is. But if you want the same activities without the rain and gloom, come to the Inland NW. Absolutly beautiful out here. No rain from May thru October, plenty of hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, skiing and boarding that (according to some) rivals Utah and Colorado, climbing and rapping, you name it. Not as much nightlife as, say, SeaTac area, but for me that is not that big a deal.

Sounds like the kind of life I want. I guess i'll have to wait a while since i'm only 18 right now <_<

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
n7lix, what wrong with Fire/Medic? As much as some hate it, it is the future of EMS...

I don't hate Fire/EMS, but I have no interest in being a fire fighter. I think it's silly that the two are so tightly bound. I also think it's unfair to those guys who want nothing more than to be a firefighter that I have a better shot of getting that firefighter job simply because I'll be a medic.

So, I've decided that third service EMS is where I want to be. And that animal doesn't really exist in the PNW. (KCM1 is a topic for another day.)

So, I'll be heading south... inexpensive cost of living and a decent service. And if anyone wants to buy a house in Seattle, let me know.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I don't hate Fire/EMS, but I have no interest in being a fire fighter. I think it's silly that the two are so tightly bound. I also think it's unfair to those guys who want nothing more than to be a firefighter that I have a better shot of getting that firefighter job simply because I'll be a medic.

So, I've decided that third service EMS is where I want to be. And that animal doesn't really exist in the PNW. (KCM1 is a topic for another day.)

So, I'll be heading south... inexpensive cost of living and a decent service. And if anyone wants to buy a house in Seattle, let me know.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. I'd be very happy to see more third services popping up

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief

Ahhhh....I get ya.....And I definatly see you point. I guess the firefighter requirement drives plenty of perfetly good medics away.