Where do you work?

emtfarva

Forum Captain
1)Where do you work? (Town, City, State, or Name, whatever.)
2)What type of service is it? (private, city/town, county, hospital-based)
3)What type of calls do you do? (911, Transfers, Intercepts)
4)What level of care do you provide? (Als, Bls)
5)What type of calls do you do the most?
6)What kind of level of truck do you work on? (PP, PI, PB, BB, II, or any combo)
7)What type of truck do you use? (Non-transporting, Van, Box)
8)What kind of stretcher do you like best?
9)If you do 911, do you have a first resopnse and who is it? (FD, PD,)

Here is mine:

1)AMR, New Bedford, MA. My service area includes Fall River, Taunton, Middleboro, New Bedford, Attleboro and every thing between those towns.
2)I work for a private company
3)We do a little bit of everything. Als transfers, 911, 5)and mostly Bls transfers
4)I am at the bls level and my partner is at the als level
6)I work on a PB als transfer truck
7)I work in a van. and sometimes a box.
8)I like the old fernos, The 35-a's
9)It depends which contract we are covering, mostly fire though. Sometimes both.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
6)What kind of level of truck do you work on? (PP, PI, PB, BB, II, or any combo)

Here is mine:

1)AMR, New Bedford, MA. My service area includes Fall River, Taunton, Middleboro, New Bedford, Attleboro and every thing between those towns.
2)I work for a private company
3)We do a little bit of everything. Als transfers, 911, 5)and mostly Bls transfers
4)I am at the bls level and my partner is at the als level
6)I work on a PB als transfer truck
7)I work in a van. and sometimes a box.
8)I like the old fernos, The 35-a's
9)It depends which contract we are covering, mostly fire though. Sometimes both.

1)Town of Fort Smith Ambulance
2)Municipal Service
3)Since the NWT doesn't have 911 phone service we do a bit of everything
4)Our service is BLS
5)We do a lot of ground support for air medivacs
7)Box
8)We use Stryker
9)Sometimes us and sometime RCMP

spisco85

Forum Lieutenant
1)Where do you work? Hunter's Ambulance, CT
2)What type of service is it? Private
3)What type of calls do you do? 911, transfers and our ALS units do interceps occasionaly
4)What level of care do you provide? BLS and ALS
5)What type of calls do you do the most? I mostly get transfers
6)What kind of level of truck do you work on? PI, PB, BB, BI
7)What type of truck do you use? Van
8)What kind of stretcher do you like best? I like the powered stretchers but we use Ferno manual stretchers.
9)It depends on the town and the call. Typically fire, sometimes PD

MJordan2121

Forum Crew Member
1) AMR, South Mississippi Division, Gulfport, MS, we run in Hancock and Harrison Counties
2) Private Service
3) We handle 911 calls and Transfers
4) Our ambulances are staffed with a paramedic and a basic (ALS-BLS)
5) We mainly handle 911 calls, I average anywhere from 4 to 9 calls a night in my truck)
6) ?
7) Van, but we do have one box truck available that I do not like to drive.
8) Strikers, I prefer manual lifting over motorized
9) Usually FD/PD beats us to the call, but sometimes we get there first, depends on what post I am sitting at.

Last edited by a moderator:

Epi-do

I see dead people
1)Where do you work? (Town, City, State, or Name, whatever.) East side of Indianapolis
2)What type of service is it? (private, city/town, county, hospital-based) Municipal, fire based
3)What type of calls do you do? (911, Transfers, Intercepts) 911
4)What level of care do you provide? (Als, Bls) ALS
5)What type of calls do you do the most? Technically, they are all 911 calls.
6)What kind of level of truck do you work on? (PP, PI, PB, BB, II, or any combo) Either PP or PB
7)What type of truck do you use? (Non-transporting, Van, Box) moving van, errr, ummmmm, box
8)What kind of stretcher do you like best? All I have ever used is a Stryker
9)If you do 911, do you have a first resopnse and who is it? (FD, PD,) Depends upon the dispatch info. Sometimes we go with our engine, the squad, or ladder. Sometimes we go with PD. Somethimes we go by ourselves.

Hockey

Quackers
1)Where do you work? (Town, City, State, or Name, whatever.) I work in the 3rd most dangerous city in the US, Michigan
2)What type of service is it? (private, city/town, county, hospital-based) Private just like 100% of the entire county
3)What type of calls do you do? (911, Transfers, Intercepts) We do 911, transfers/911 and even intercepts
4)What level of care do you provide? (Als, Bls) We provide both ALS and BLS. I provide BLS because thats how I roll. I think tomorrow my partner will provide ALS because thats how she rolls
5)What type of calls do you do the most? Chest Pain, DIB, Altered Mental, CVA, Shootings. Oh yeah, I forgot one, "sick". What a combination
6)What kind of level of truck do you work on? (PP, PI, PB, BB, II, or any combo) The one with wheels, a lightbar, and siren. I honestly don't know
7)What type of truck do you use? (Non-transporting, Van, Box) Van and Box. I like the van for leg room in the front. I like the box when I get stuck in the back
8)What kind of stretcher do you like best? Stryker because thats the only one I've used. I can't imagine using any other kind. I however, dislike using the bariatric cot. Pain in my arse.
9)If you do 911, do you have a first resopnse and who is it? (FD, PD,) Depends. We have county sheriff paramedics. We also have fire paramedic echo car. We also have fire response if they run medical. County Sheriff Paramedics are a very nice luxury. Saves your butt

NolaRabbit

Forum Crew Member

1. A midsized urban city
2. Municipal third service
3. 911
4. ALS
5. Respiratory, cardiac, shootings, stabbings, MVAs, diabetics, seizures, and plenty of attention-seeking drama and/or BS.
6. Type I
7. Box
8. Stryker, though we use the newer Fernos. I think the Stryker is lighter.
9. FD rolls as FR on certain high priority calls

tydek07

Forum Captain
1)Where do you work? Fargo, ND
2)What type of service is it? Private
3)What type of calls do you do? 911
4)What level of care do you provide? ALS
5)What type of calls do you do the most? umm.... hard to say, a little of everything :D)
6)What kind of level of truck do you work on?
7)What type of truck do you use? Box
8)What kind of stretcher do you like best? Stryker Power Cot Pro (yes, we are lazy :p)
9)If you do 911, do you have a first resopnse and who is it? FD in Fargo and Moorhead, and PD in West Fargo

Hal9000

Forum Captain
Places with no names...

Prefer no specifics, but NW and Central/Eastern MT at different times of the year.

2)What type of service is it?

Both private, one very small and the other very, very large, hint hint. :glare:

3)What type of calls do you do? Eastern:

911, Transfers & LDTs , Intercepts. NW: 911, Transfers, Intercepts, Standbys, transfers are usually 4-6 hours RT.

4)What level of care do you provide?

Eastern Montana: ALS & BLS transfer. NW Montana: BLS w/ALS riders, BLS w/ALS.

Eastern: High mechanism MVAs less common, geriatric and ETOH more common, less strange trauma. Northwest Montana: MVAs fairly common, terrain makes for high rate of DOAs, trauma generally the most common.

NW: BB/+B, BBRN. Eastern: PB, BB.

7)What type of truck do you use?

NW: Scrapped vans, all box, I & III. Eastern: Mostly vans that I am not fond of, plus old mods that honestly suck to be in the back of because the seats were apparently not made for humans.

I honestly like the Fernos. I use Fernos in the NW (We scrapped the Strykers.) and Strykers in the East. Strykers kind of irritate me...

9)If you do 911, do you have a first resopnse and who is it? (FD, PD,).

NW: Usually we are number one on scene, sometimes PD beats us, fire may or may not be first, though we're generally there first...depending on how much they care about the call.

East: Fire is usually first.

10: Do you like large, national megacompanies or smaller, locally based EMS systems with local dispatchers?: I prefer smaller systems. I think system status management is a pain and perhaps inhumane. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
emtfarva

emtfarva

Forum Captain
1)

10: Do you like large, national megacompanies or smaller, locally based EMS systems with local dispatchers?: I prefer smaller systems. I think system status management is a pain and perhaps inhumane. :rolleyes:

I work for an large company. That is All I have worked for. And I hate most of my dispatchers.

FireCPT11

Forum Ride Along
1)Where do you work? WV

2)What type of service is it? Non-profit paid/volly organization that is contracted to be the primary county service

3)What type of calls do you do? 911, Transfers, Intercepts

4)What level of care do you provide? Organization provides both BLS and ALS. I am an ALS provider.

5)What type of calls do you do the most? Day shift is mostly transfers, afternoon and midnight run mostly e-calls.

7)What type of truck do you use? Vans for transport, an SUV for ALS intercept, and a light rescue with vehicle extrication equipment and very limited rope.confined space rescue equipment.

8)What kind of stretcher do you like best? Stryker

9)If you do 911, do you have a first resopnse and who is it? FD, depending on whether or not the local FD has EMS first responders. Some departments do, some don't. Some run every medical call, some only respond to life-threatening calls.

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
1)Where do you work? Hunter's Ambulance, CT

I've seen a Hunter's ambulance in Cambridge a few months ago. I assumed they were lost after finishing a long transfer because they were heading into somerville.

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
1)Where do you work? Transfers in Boston and transfers and 911 outside of boston.
2)What type of service is it? private
3)What type of calls do you do? 911, Transfers, Intercepts
4)What level of care do you provide? ALS, BLS, chair car
5)What type of calls do you do the most? depends on the base. Usually 80% transfers, 20% emergencies
6)What kind of level of truck do you work on? Basic. I don't want to work PB.
7)What type of truck do you use? our company phased out the BLS box trucks accept on the BLS 911 trucks, BLS is all vans for us now. Medics are box and the intercepts are ford explorers.
8)What kind of stretcher do you like best? Ferno
9)If you do 911, do you have a first resopnse and who is it? depends on the city. 911 ambulances are dispatched with the fire. The cities we back up fire when their ambulance is on a call we meet fire or police. Again, it depends.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief

Me:

1] North East Washington State.
2] Volunteer, County service, run by the Sheriff's Office.
3] We do 911 and transfers.
4] Liscenced BLS agency, but we provide ILS about 75% of the time.
5] Mostly 911.
6] Havent a clue. I just work in them.
7] Box. (Built on a F-350 deisel Super-Duty frame!:p) (Can't stand vans!)
8] 93H PROFlexx H-frame Ambulance Cot ( http://www.ferno.com/93hcot/ )
9] We have VFD BLS first responce in most of our area. (I'm part of that too!)

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
QUOTE]

1. Boston, Ma
2. 3rd city service
3. 911
4. ALS
5. Diabetics, SOB, cardiac, shootings, stabbings, etc...
6. PP
7. Box
8. Stryker
9. Fire acts as first responder on certain call types, i.e. cardiac arrest, uncons, diff breather, MVA. PD responds on cardiac arrest, uncons, shootings, stabbings.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Me:

1] North East Washington State.
2] Volunteer, County service, run by the Sheriff's Office.
3] We do 911 and transfers.
4] Liscenced BLS agency, but we provide ILS about 75% of the time.
5] Mostly 911.
6] Havent a clue. I just work in them.
7] Box. (Built on a F-350 deisel Super-Duty frame!:p) (Can't stand vans!)
8] 93H PROFlexx H-frame Ambulance Cot ( http://www.ferno.com/93hcot/ )
9] We have VFD BLS first responce in most of our area. (I'm part of that too!)

Well...I must add an addendum. I said we don't do intercepts. I'm not on right now, but my service just got paged out to do an ILS intercept with a BLS crew from another agency. 14 y/o girl with possible narcotic OD. I guess they wanted someone to push Narcan.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
1) AMR, South Mississippi Division, Gulfport, MS, we run in Hancock and Harrison Counties
2) Private Service
3) We handle 911 calls and Transfers
4) Our ambulances are staffed with a paramedic and a basic (ALS-BLS)
5) We mainly handle 911 calls, I average anywhere from 4 to 9 calls a night in my truck)
6) ?
7) Van, but we do have one box truck available that I do not like to drive.
8) Strikers, I prefer manual lifting over motorized
9) Usually FD/PD beats us to the call, but sometimes we get there first, depends on what post I am sitting at.

I was in Waveland for 3 months after Katrina. How are things down there?

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
1)Where do you work?
Northern Nova Scotia.

2)What type of service is it?
A private company that has a contract with the provincial government to provide all ambulance service for the province. The provincial gov't. owns all vehicles and equipment and provides medical direction, protocols/policies, for our levels of service. The company, EMC Inc. looks after the day to day operations. EMC also operates the dispatch center and our helicopter service(Lifeflight), under contract as well. EMC is a subsidiary of Medavie Blue Cross (MBC). MBC also operates the ambulance and dispatch service in the provinces of New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island as well as the Muskoka Region in Ontario.

3)What type of calls do you do?
We do all types of calls 911, Transfers, Intercepts .

4)What level of care do you provide?
I am currently a Primary Care Paramedic (PCP). I am currently taking an ACP(Advanced Care Paramedic) course. I am almost finished my hospital clinicals and will soon move to the trucks as 3rd medic. PCP here is BLS but we do more than a US EMT-B. ie: drugs (ASA. Nitro sl, Glucagon, Ventolin, Tetracaine, Epienephrine 1:1000). We can draw up and administer other drugs on request of a medic of higher registration or Dr. in our presence. We do Blood Glucose levels and 12 Lead EKGs as well.

I am almost perfectly split between 911 and transfers. If I am partnered with an ICP or ACP we will do intercepts. Here the closest unit to a 911 call will be sent to it regardless of who is on the unit. An ALS unit will not automatically be sent to back up a BLS unit unless it is obvious it will be needed, such as a cardiac arrest call.

All trucks at my base have at least one ALS provider scheduled to work on it. Although with sick calls, vacations etc. we often have a double PCP truck.

7)What type of truck do you use?
We use what we call a mini mod. A van front with a box back. However the box is smaller than a traditional Type III. We also have a handfull ofType IIIs and Type I in a fleet of 120 + units. We have no Type II anymore.
http://www.gov.ns.ca/ehs/ambulance.htm

We use a Stryker.

9)If you do 911, do you have a first response and who is it?
Several FD do first response. Some go to all code 1 calls while others only respond at paramedics request. We only have two types of calls here. Code 1 is a lights and siren response and code 2 which is no lights or siren.