When the paramedic struggle continues...

yz125rider

Forum Probie
Alright here's a quick story of my situation and want to see some advise on how to mentally progress.

So I am currently a nremt-P trying to get back into my FTO time where I'm struggling.

Start off when I started medic school and finished it seemed like a struggle, I aced the bookwork and classroom. Struggled in my internship due to not have any 911 experience and only being on an inter facility ambulance
I worked my *** off and made it. Finally got my card

I got a job in a new state with completely different ways of doing things.

I started my fto time and didn't make it, and my proctor (super cool dude) said my issue is lack of experience and inconsistency. The problem is I would do amazing on one call and mess up another. None had to do with not handling stress just I would trip up on something. My job is allowing me to work as an EMT intermediate which is great. I'm trying to get the most out of it.
The issue I'm developing is I feel like I've lost all my medic abilities. Not that I don't know what to do, I just get worried every step "am I forgetting what they told me" "gotta make sure I don't forget this" ":censored::censored::censored::censored: I have to be messing something up" or "am I over treating?"

All this mental chaos inhibits my assessment and makes me portray myself as an incompetent care giver in my eyes.

I seem to not progress and almost regress a bit. If no ones watching or critiquing my performance I am 100% confident I'm amazing. I know thr material but having a hard time applying it especially infornt of a proctor. I have no shyness on my scenes though.

I'm keeping my head up and trying to bring my a game. I don't want to disappoint.

Had anyone else felt like or gone through this??

PaddyWagon

Forum Crew Member
Sounds like performance anxiety. I get past mine with rehearsing scenarios (thanks scenario forum) and visualizing procedures so that I have a memory of having done it before to fall back on.

OP
OP
Y

yz125rider

Forum Probie
Most definitely is! I do fine on my own when I'm just in my groove and no one is on my ***.

What's the link?