whats your take on trainees

ollie

Forum Crew Member
had a hard time training someone who is book smart not street smart he ended not making the cut. any advise on how to train these type of people???:mellow:

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Some people just aren't meant to make it. Knowledge is great, but the ability to apply the knowledge is better, in other words critical thinking is the better part. That's something that just can't be taught.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
All depends upon how they fail.

My nursing college ate up and spit out male students, and I can say there was a lot of cultural disconnect between instructors used to working with 19 y/o girls, and service-veteran ex-med techs and corpsman (no active war at that time) or Vietnam vets.

The ER I did a new-hire probation at ended for me because no one was comfortable with orienting new people and one fill-in supervisor advised me I was not going to make it the week I started.

New hires of any sort need a period where they are watched and helped to adapt. New-to-the-field newbies need an additional, sufficiently long period where they are the extra hands entirely, not tasked beyond following orders.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Try to find what works for them.

as stated prior not everyone is cut to make it in this field. I had a girl who was book smart, not street smart and quite shy. She learned fast I was not gonna hold her hand after the first 2 days I would walk in evaluate the situation and say Your patient GO.

It was brutal tactic and I'm not a fan of it. But it worked.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
There are three different types of learners, visual, auditory and kinesthetic. As the teacher it's your responsibility to learn which one your student is and adapt your teaching style to meet their needs.

Maybe they do well sitting down and playing with the equipment over and over again to learn it. Maybe you need to set them up with the manual and that's the best way for them to learn to use it. Maybe you showing them and explaining it is what works best for them.

As far as assessment and people skills I haven't found a good way to teach that and I don't know if there is. I know some people make their quiet, reserved interns or new hires do things like always order everyone's food or coffee to force through interact with people. Not sure that's the best way to teach, by making someone uncomfortable...

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
There are three different types of learners, visual, auditory and kinesthetic. As the teacher it's your responsibility to learn which one your student is and adapt your teaching style to meet their needs.

Maybe they do well sitting down and playing with the equipment over and over again to learn it. Maybe you need to set them up with the manual and that's the best way for them to learn to use it. Maybe you showing them and explaining it is what works best for them.

As far as assessment and people skills I haven't found a good way to teach that and I don't know if there is. I know some people make their quiet, reserved interns or new hires do things like always order everyone's food or coffee to force through interact with people. Not sure that's the best way to teach, by making someone uncomfortable...

Like I said not a strong believer in it. but with the scenario I stated it was last resort. They had put her with another crew where she was so shy and quiet and wanted everyone to hold her hand. I did as much as I could to open her up. and she was too shy until she absolutley had no choice.

But like you said everyone learns in different ways. But I run into the problem where i might only have a trainee for 3 shifts, its hard to get one on one with someone to build their confidence and improve with the way they learn when I am on the go for all 3 shifts.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Try to find what works for them.

as stated prior not everyone is cut to make it in this field. I had a girl who was book smart, not street smart and quite shy. She learned fast I was not gonna hold her hand after the first 2 days I would walk in evaluate the situation and say Your patient GO.

It was brutal tactic and I'm not a fan of it. But it worked.

Nothing personal, but you would have fired me, and I went on to be a model employee and went on get my BSN.

Two days...if she did anything wrong to me or a family member with that short a directed orientation I'd have that company's lawyer in court and I'd win.

You come out of only classroom learning and then get "oriented", but the employer is obliged to TRAIN. You don't hire a kid who attended some trade school classes then have him or her get behind the wheel of a loaded semi and drive from LA to Orlando towing explosives.

The two deal works as a screening and it selects one of learner. Or ringers.