What's wrong with refresher/CE courses?

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
So I've been teaching EMTs for some time now, but this is going to be my first refresher course as lead instructor (yes I'm proud). What I want to know is all of your experiences as to what's wrong with them.

I ask this because everyone always complains about having to do them, including CEs. So toss me some thoughts on your experiences like what you dislike or hate about them, and what you'd wish they could be.

I personally hate the rehashing of the same old crap, so I'm trying to integrate other things into the course like the transition material for the NREMT as well as utilizing, gasp, modern media and resources to leverage the connected nature of today's student.

Thoughts, opinions, criticisms?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
In my experience with live CE, they go through the motions and act as a babysitter until the hours are earned.

I learn very little, refresh my memory on a few skills, sign the papers and walk away.

In other profession CE courses I learn new material and best practices, must demonstrate my newfound knowledge, and then provide documentation that I've applied the knowledge to my practice. I'm always asked to fill out a candid assessment, something I've never been asked to do with EMS. My best employers even polled staff members on desired CE topics to get buy in.

Good luck!