What's it mean?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I've noticed that you only find the "hero" types at the lower levels in healthcare. I don't think I've never met a hero trauma surgeon; but the amount of technicians(emergency, radiology, dialysis etc) that believe they are the glue holding the whole medical system together is staggering.
If you work in a big hospital, you will meet them..... many of the nurses already know of them. They are the ones who walk into the OR, and look down their nose at everyone. They are often VERY good at what they do, often expert in their particular field, with an ego to match.

TBH, I've never met a "hero" radiology tech, dialysis tech, or any other person who works within a hospital. I have meet several people who think they do the same job as the more educated people above them, but that's about it (one CNA who said she does the same thing as an RN comes to mind, but that was in a doctor's office)

I do think the "hero" mentality also comes from the fact that we (in EMS) do a relatively large amount of stuff with a relatively limited amount of resources. For example, in a hospital if you a major trauma, you typically have several nurses, several doctors (of varying levels, both medical and surgical), a tech or two, an x ray person, and the resources of a lab, x ray, and light, all available to you. on an ambulance, you have two people, and maybe the fire department (who I mostly use for lifting assistance or CPR, because I have been burned by their assessments in the past). on a bad call, you might even pull an EMS supervisor. but 7 to 10 people (not including ancillary support) vs 3, and of the 3, only one is actually "in charge"? there is a difference.

in the hospital, you are part of a larger team, while in EMS, the team itself (if an EMT/Paramedic crew) does rest on 1 person (and maybe their EMT/Driver).

In the hospital, you are one cog in a much larger system... in EMS, you are the entry point, and if you don't do your job, and do your job well, that person might not even make it into that larger system.