What would you do in my situation as a student and begginer?

ThadeusJ

Forum Lieutenant
First thing you do is not to panic...and I'm surprised no one suggested albutarol (because you will soon learn that it fixes everything). Seriously ladies and germs...what was said above, but I'd focus on the panic control first and foremost.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
First thing you do is not to panic...and I'm surprised no one suggested albutarol (because you will soon learn that it fixes everything). Seriously ladies and germs...what was said above, but I'd focus on the panic control first and foremost.

I must be missing something here but albuterol for a arterial bleed? I was always taught direct pressure and if you can't stop the bleeding then move on to a tourniquet. Can you enlighten me on how albuterol would be helpful in this situation?

ThadeusJ

Forum Lieutenant
Albutarol will have no effect whatsoever but is a medication that is universally given for almost anything. I believe there's a Facebook page dedicated to the wastage. In the pre-hospital you have considerable restraint but once you drop the patient off, albutarol is often given as a regularly scheduled medication despite the patient having normal pulmonary function values. Its actually quite the joke amongst RT's and nurses.
url

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Wow haha thats interesting. Here I'm going to give you this medication for your lungs (which are healthy) and will do absolutely nothing for your bleed. Mind=blown.

medicgumby

Forum Ride Along
Enough with the sarcasm. Someone new posted a serious question and is probably looking for serious input.

Yes, direct pressure is first thing to do. While holding direct pressure it does not hurt to elevate the extremity. Of your local protocol allows, you can also use a hemostatic agent (like quick clot) with the direct pressure.

Second thing to do is apply the tourniquet proximal to the injury. Don't forget to note the time of application.

Obviously you should have the patient seated if not semi fowlers on a stretcher at this point.

Apply oxygen, nasal cannula, only if needed (signs of shock, SOB, etc.)

ALS is probably not needed. Assess your patient. Take vitals. Yes, the patient WILL be tachy... Don't get excited. The fast pulse of the patient is most likely due to adrenaline, not the blood loss. (If your new, your own pulse is probably elevated too, so relax) Take a good BP... If this is low, and I mean less than 90-100 systolic, then u need medics due to the patients hemodynamic instability.

If vital signs are not indicating that the pt is unstable, and the bleeding is controlled, then this would be a BLS call. Transport pt to nearest ED, no lights, no siren. You stabilized the injury and there is no longer an emergent situation, therefore no need for EWD's.

OP
OP
huckleberry18

huckleberry18

Forum Crew Member
Enough with the sarcasm. Someone new posted a serious question and is probably looking for serious input.

Yes, direct pressure is first thing to do. While holding direct pressure it does not hurt to elevate the extremity. Of your local protocol allows, you can also use a hemostatic agent (like quick clot) with the direct pressure.

Second thing to do is apply the tourniquet proximal to the injury. Don't forget to note the time of application.

Obviously you should have the patient seated if not semi fowlers on a stretcher at this point.

Apply oxygen, nasal cannula, only if needed (signs of shock, SOB, etc.)

ALS is probably not needed. Assess your patient. Take vitals. Yes, the patient WILL be tachy... Don't get excited. The fast pulse of the patient is most likely due to adrenaline, not the blood loss. (If your new, your own pulse is probably elevated too, so relax) Take a good BP... If this is low, and I mean less than 90-100 systolic, then u need medics due to the patients hemodynamic instability.

If vital signs are not indicating that the pt is unstable, and the bleeding is controlled, then this would be a BLS call. Transport pt to nearest ED, no lights, no siren. You stabilized the injury and there is no longer an emergent situation, therefore no need for EWD's.

Thanks for the good input, I am glad someone knows what to say to someone new.

squirrel15

Forum Captain
[
Alrighty Thanks for the help and info, I applied a TQ and we transported but while they were he was coding.
This right here is what is causing all the sarcasm. Lately there seems to be an influx in members that seem to be playing hero and have the worst of the worst happening.

The op went from not knowing what to do at all and having to get the post. To thanking another poster for the idea of applying a TQ, in this thread mind you. And now the OP was the one to apply a TQ to the PT. To make things worse the PT somehow coded from his injuries. Even though OP stated in A new thread he just started that he saw his first code from due to an MVA.

So in short, the trolls are out to play. If some of these posters aren't trolls, well they are horrendous at keeping stories straight and they are the worst black clouds ever.

OP
OP
huckleberry18

huckleberry18

Forum Crew Member
[

This right here is what is causing all the sarcasm. Lately there seems to be an influx in members that seem to be playing hero and have the worst of the worst happening.

The op went from not knowing what to do at all and having to get the post. To thanking another poster for the idea of applying a TQ, in this thread mind you. And now the OP was the one to apply a TQ to the PT. To make things worse the PT somehow coded from his injuries. Even though OP stated in A new thread he just started that he saw his first code from due to an MVA.

So in short, the trolls are out to play. If some of these posters aren't trolls, well they are horrendous at keeping stories straight and they are the worst black clouds ever.

How about you dont talk to me anymore, Because what I saw and am in a begginer postion is true. Okay well I am not lying I went to a MVA and there was a guy that coded I just started Tuesday as a begginer Emt-B!!!! I want you to know I am still a Firefighter, and I am just a student and I am not lying at all

squirrel15

Forum Captain
How about you dont talk to me anymore, Because what I saw and am in a begginer postion is true. Okay well I am not lying I went to a MVA and there was a guy that coded I just started Tuesday as a begginer Emt-B!!!! I want you to know I am still a Firefighter, and I am just a student and I am not lying at all
Maybe be a better troll :)

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Beginner has one g, two n's. Spelling is important when it comes to things like PCRs
And it's "EMT" not "Emt" because it's an acronym of three different words. Granted, very few people here are going to be legitimately confused and not understand "Emt", but look at your agencies approved abbreviations and acronyms list for writing reports, I'm willing to bet there's a few that are very similar where improper capitalization can make the difference between two different terms.

Also, not singling the OP or anyone else specific out, but if nothing else in grammar, proper usage of commas and periods would go a very long way (plus my personal pet peeves of your vs you're and there vs their vs they're) lol.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
And it's" there are" before a plural noun. Not "there's" or "there is". Sorry. Big pet peeve pf mine.

There are people. Not there's people.