What would you do in my situation as a student and begginer?

huckleberry18

Forum Crew Member
So I was at the Fire house with some people from my class and they were students in the same class as me, But we were working in the kitchen when we get a knock at the door I go over to awnser it and there is nobody and there was blood on the door, I went and told the Captain who looked as concered as me and the begginer Emt's, We then saw a man come to the door holding his hand we get the door and help him in we foumd out a artery was punctured. We then got some Paramedic help, What would you do in a situation like this if it ever happened to you as a NAVIT Emt student learning new stuff?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Direct pressure and then get the medic or EMT on duty

OP
OP
huckleberry18

huckleberry18

Forum Crew Member
We had the cheif with us. And we called our paramedics back to station, He is lossing a lot of blood his hand looks like its clear to the bone.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Yup, direct pressure, if that doesn't work, tourniquet time, request appropriate resources.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
Pressure, elevation (for what it's worth) and diesel.

phideux

Forum Captain
Don't forget the 15LPM via NRB, Trendelenberg for shock. I might've called a trauma alert and threw in a board and collar, the bleeding hand might be a distracting injury masking a C-spine fracture. Chopper on auto-launch???????

OP
OP
huckleberry18

huckleberry18

Forum Crew Member
Don't forget the 15LPM via NRB, Trendelenberg for shock. I might've called a trauma alert and threw in a board and collar, the bleeding hand might be a distracting injury masking a C-spine fracture. Chopper on auto-launch???????
Huh good to know, Thanks. We also had the Paramedics take over after they arrived, He did seem in more pain he should have been in. :);)

TF Medic

Forum Crew Member
Huh good to know, Thanks. We also had the Paramedics take over after they arrived, He did seem in more pain he should have been in. :);)
phideux's post was sarcasm, if you didn't pick up on that. I don't know why some people feel the need to blow off honest questions and muddy the water with inappropriate answers, but I guess everyone has different ways to vent their frustration or boredom.

Regarding your original question, monitor ABC's. If it's an arterial bleed, it may need a tourniquet. Hemorrhage control is a BLS skill, so you could have run down the Trauma Assessment or Bleeding Control NREMT BLS skill sheets and covered the necessary bases.

OP
OP
huckleberry18

huckleberry18

Forum Crew Member
phideux's post was sarcasm, if you didn't pick up on that. I don't know why some people feel the need to blow off honest questions and muddy the water with inappropriate answers, but I guess everyone has different ways to vent their frustration or boredom.

Regarding your original question, monitor ABC's. If it's an arterial bleed, it may need a tourniquet. Hemorrhage control is a BLS skill, so you could have run down the Trauma Assessment or Bleeding Control NREMT BLS skill sheets and covered the necessary bases.

Haha okay thanks, Haha yeah I didn't get it, But know I do. Okay so apply a tourniquet