What to wear for care ambulance oc interview

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
Been looking online for a nice blouse to wear for any (potential) interviews. Unfortunately, the plus-size pickings for women is not exactly what I'm looking for. This top truly illustrates the point, IMHO.
BadBlouse_zps2914e9b5.jpg
I started looking in menswear for a short sleeve dress shirt I could wear. The weather is warming up and I sweat like a hog in August, so I'm thinking short sleeve. Would that be acceptable, do you think? Or would I be better off in a long-sleeve? Thanks all!!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I don't mean to be insensitive, but dressing for an interview isn't exactly rocket science.

Find a store that sells business attire, go in and speak to a sales person. Tell them you have a job interview. Try on some clothes that they suggest. Buy an outfit. Done.

Don't wear a t shirt. Don't wear a job shirt. Don't wear sneakers. Don't wear anything LESS than business casual (khakis, collared shirt, shined shoes).

You're expected to act as a professional. Dress the part.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I don't mean to be insensitive, but dressing for an interview isn't exactly rocket science.

Find a store that sells business attire, go in and speak to a sales person. Tell them you have a job interview. Try on some clothes that they suggest. Buy an outfit. Done.

Don't wear a t shirt. Don't wear a job shirt. Don't wear sneakers. Don't wear anything LESS than business casual (khakis, collared shirt, shined shoes).

You're expected to act as a professional. Dress the part.

I think it's slightly more difficult for women to be certain they are hitting the mark, especially on a budget, with the majority of styles out there nowadays.

Add in that we are women conditioned to feel comfortable in men's clothes (uniform) and how poorly fitting men's clothes can reflect on you in an interview.

I don't mean to be insensitive, but you remind me of my husband, who has spent 2 cumulative hours shopping for clothes in the 13 years we've been married. "Just get something- it'll be fine..." doesn't always work for a woman, especially a plus size woman who might need to work at making sure the selected clothes are not only appropriate, but well-fitting and flattering.

This can be a real chore.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I think it's slightly more difficult for women to be certain they are hitting the mark, especially on a budget, with the majority of styles out there nowadays.

Add in that we are women conditioned to feel comfortable in men's clothes (uniform) and how poorly fitting men's clothes can reflect on you in an interview.

I don't mean to be insensitive, but you remind me of my husband, who has spent 2 cumulative hours shopping for clothes in the 13 years we've been married. "Just get something- it'll be fine..." doesn't always work for a woman, especially a plus size woman who might need to work at making sure the selected clothes are not only appropriate, but well-fitting and flattering.

This can be a real chore.

That's why I suggest going to a professional. Say what you want about Men's Wearhouse, but they're the experts in helping guys look their best. Their excellent customer service is what they hang their hat on. (Contrary to popular belief, guys aren't experts on dressing well, either.) Take it from a guy who wore suits to work every day for almost 20 years.

And you're right, dressing women in men's clothing and expecting them to feel good about it is a sin. But, that's a discussion for another time.

So... I'm sure there is a women's clothing store that specializes in women's business dress. I'd bet my Levi's jeans and concert t-shirts that they have seen this very same thing dozens of times and can help a woman dress smartly and professionally, even on a budget.

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
http://www.lanebryant.com/plus-size...olor=None selected&selectedSize=None selected

I would wear something like this, in one of the blues or reds with dark pants. Definitely with accessories- just a necklace/bracelet set from target- it conveys attention to detail with subtlety.

Closed-toe shoe, but not a men's shoe.

LoL ... Three-quarter sleeves. The bane of my existence. :rofl: Closed toe (dress) shoes. Hmmm ... Not so easy to find in a Ladies 14! :eek: I have some sandal-type flats, but all my other shoes (as well as most of my wardrobe) are men's.

DEmedic said:
And you're right, dressing women in men's clothing and expecting them to feel good about it is a sin.
Surely you jest! I'm 10x as comfy in men's clothing as I am in ladies. As a general rule (not always), ladies pants come in three lengths: Short/Petite -- inseam approx. 25in, Regular -- Inseam approx. 28in, and Tall/Long -- inseam approx. 33in. My inseam is right around 30.5in, so ladies pants are either clam diggers (S/P), flood water (R) or floor dragging (T/L). That's one reason why I wear men's pants. I can buy waist and inseam.

Anyways, I'm flying way off topic. Thanks for all the info all!!
:)

ChanelCinq

Forum Lieutenant
So one of my female professors said not to wear heels. I know we may be doing fit tests.

OK folks I am not wearing my 6" stiletos on a job interview but I have interview suits and interview dresses and low heels to wear with both.

In my opinion flats look AWFUL with a dress, any dress. But an interview dress for sure. I only have one pants suit so if I get called for another interview I will wear the dress. Are low 2" heels bad?

ChanelCinq

Forum Lieutenant
CARE does not do fit testing the day of the interview. Low heels are fine.

Thanks. I am in the San Francisco Bay Area. I was asking just a general question about interviews. I did I search for "interview" and started reading some of the threads.