What to include with a resume?

Deftones

Forum Probie
Hello everyone. I'm working on building my resume so I can start the job search process. I'm trying to learn how to make one. I've got the general idea, but due to a lack of actual employment experience, I'm lost as to what is worth including and what is obvious fluff.

I've got a lot of volunteer experience and cadet (JROTC and CAP) experience, under the table experience, but no official job experience. Do I augment my employment history with my volunteer and under the table experience or do I leave them in a separate category?

I've taken a decent amount of IS classes (IS 5, 100, 200, 700 800). I know some agencies require some of these classes. Are they worth including or should I leave them out?

During my last school year, I've done a program through my high school that has allowed me to ride along and even participate on calls at my local FD. I've been required to fill out training reports which document my calls and what training or studying I did during my day. Are these reports worth including or are they, again, unnecessary fluff?

I am making my best effort to create a decent resume that is inclusive of what is important but is not overly filled with excess details or too much extras. I'm all ears for any suggestions, criticism, and tips.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Put down the FD experience as volunteer work and include any customer experience you may have. Do a search on this site for resumes to get a few ideas from others

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
The doctor is right.