What to do if an IV comes out during transport?

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
So I can't seem to find anything on the internet that lets me know what I as an EMT can do if an IV comes out during transport. There is nothing in my book about it either. My first reaction was to tell the paramedic. If there was no paramedic I would just place some gauze over the area to stop bleeding. Is there anything else that I could do? Obviously I can not reinsert the IV and I can't think of anything else to do so I thought I would ask on here.

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Had it happen several times on IFTs. Just put some gauze over it, tape it down, and document it. If it's a BLS transfer, chances are they really don't need the IV right then and there...

but if an IV came out during transport, I might be a little annoyed at the sending facility

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
In our neck of the woods, anyone with an IV is automatically an ALS transport. As an EMT, your options are limited. I would contact medical control and tell them the IV came out. If they want to call for ALS intercept to replace it, then it is their call. If you are an EMT transporting a patient with an IV, check it often, especially if it is running. (although, as I say, in our area, that person would be on a rig with a medic). At the first sign of infiltration (swelling, pain, etc) close the IV and call medical control.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
As stated apply sterile pressure bandage and be sure shut off fluids and note the time and the catheter was intact, bleeding controlled and your treatment and if you notified medical control. Also document what was instructed and by whom.

R/r 911

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
As well, in my area, a patient only get a BLS transfer if the IV has a saline lock. In that case, nothing is running in, and it will take the hospital 2 seconds to put in a new one. Dont worry, apply pressure. Rinse, repeat.

If you are transporting a patient with a bag or Rxs hung, you should have checked the security of the line before leaving. You should have hung the bag and line in such a way that there is little chance of it catching, and being pulled out, etc. It it partially your fault that the line came out, and a mistake you will never make again. In that case, a part of your ongoing assessment should be looking at the IV site, checking for leakage, continued flow, etc...

LAS46

Forum Crew Member
In Colorado, as a EMT-B you can get your EMT-B+ which will allow you to do IVs which makes it so we do not have to make it a ALS transport.

Dustin C.
MFR, NREMT-B Student

VentMedic

Forum Chief
but if an IV came out during transport, I might be a little annoyed at the sending facility

As already stated, it is your responsibilty to check this before you depart especially after the patient has been moved to your stretcher.

If this happens during a BLS IFT and the IV is just for access with no meds attached, I would let the rec'g hospital do restart. That will prevent the patient from being stuck again since your stick may count as a field stick and will be removed.

JPINFV

Gadfly
In California (county dependent, as with everything there), basics can transport a handful of fluids (D50, I think lactate ringer, and something else, but I don't remember) set to TKO by the transfering facility. In the two years I worked in So. Cal. I can count the number of non-CCTs with running IV on one hand. 99% of the time the transfering facility will just lock it off.

If, somehow, the IV came out, I'm going to join the peanut gallery. Gauze, tape, document, and complete transport as you normally would.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
In California (county dependent, as with everything there), basics can transport a handful of fluids (D50, I think lactate ringer, and something else, but I don't remember) set to TKO by the transfering facility. In the two years I worked in So. Cal. I can count the number of non-CCTs with running IV on one hand. 99% of the time the transfering facility will just lock it off.

If, somehow, the IV came out, I'm going to join the peanut gallery. Gauze, tape, document, and complete transport as you normally would.

Ditto. I don't remember a single BLS IFT with a running IV (just a lock). Once a hospital RN tried to convinvce us to take a patient to radiation (cancer) with his chemo still running IV. Made he finish it up, lock it off, and then recall us. If IV fluids are needed for a IFT, then it probably shouldn't be BLS (99% of the time). If it is BLS and the IV craps out for whatever reason, stop the fluids, lightly bandage the site, and follow protocol as far as notifying control/medic/hosptial/etc...

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
I've transported, BLS, running fluids. But, again with the party line, close down the line, bandage, document, and inform the receiving.

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
Hey guys thanks for all the replies. This question came about when we were reviewing for our final. They said the answer wouldn't be in our book so we had to look it up on the internet. I kinda think it is BS to put something on the final that we have never covered and is not in the book and then tell us to go look it up on the internet. I don't mind doing extra research but the internet has a lot of misguided information and I could have very well gotten the wrong answer. Thank god for you guys though!

Sasha

Forum Chief
Hey guys thanks for all the replies. This question came about when we were reviewing for our final. They said the answer wouldn't be in our book so we had to look it up on the internet. I kinda think it is BS to put something on the final that we have never covered and is not in the book and then tell us to go look it up on the internet. I don't mind doing extra research but the internet has a lot of misguided information and I could have very well gotten the wrong answer. Thank god for you guys though!

Well think of it this way, there is no way you can possibly cover everything you will ever encounter in the book.

They're testing you for critical thinking skills which is paramount to being a good provider.

gillysaurus

Forum Lieutenant
In Colorado, as a EMT-B you can get your EMT-B+ which will allow you to do IVs which makes it so we do not have to make it a ALS transport.

In all my time as an EMT-B/IV in Colorado, I've never heard it called an EMT-B"+". But now when anybody asks, I'm telling them I'm at the "plus" level of EMT certification!

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Well think of it this way, there is no way you can possibly cover everything you will ever encounter in the book.

They're testing you for critical thinking skills which is paramount to being a good provider.
Exactly, this is not about the book knowledge, about a textbook saying "YES" or "NO" but your clinical judgment. Its about how you look at the patient, complete your assessment, and make an informed treatment decesion. Why is the patient on fluids? What is being run? At what rate?

Unfortunately, EMT classes, and their associated I/Cs are too focused on teaching to a test, teaching absolutes, adding skills without the associated background knowledge, and avoiding evidence based medicine, it seems counterproductive-- as EMTs need to be retrained when they hit the streets.

You should, based just on this scenario, be able to make a judgment call. What are you going to do if your patient is bleeding from the IV site? Dont go to the book before answering!

JPINFV

Gadfly
What are you going to do if your patient is bleeding from the IV site? Dont go to the book before answering!

NRB at 15 LPM, request ALS, immediate emergent transport to nearest emergency room, pressure, tourniquet, trendelenburg position.

Go big or go home. :ph34r:

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain

I completely understand that but for them to make the statement of "go look it up on the internet" is what got me.

Wee-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
If the pt has an IV in place and IV's are out of your scope, you should be driving and the paramedic should be attending.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
If the pt has an IV in place and IV's are out of your scope, you should be driving and the paramedic should be attending.

Unless it is a BLS IFT. EMTs in most places are allowed to monitor an IV; which basiclly measn making sure it is running at the rate dictated by the hospital. If the IV is blown dring a BLS transfer, then stop the fluids, and notify someone who can do something about it when you reach your destination. However, it is doubtful that a blown IV is a cause for concern at eh BLS level, because If the IV was needed so desperately during the transport then, yes it should have been ALS. At the BLS level the pateitn should be stable and the IV is just there, and not life and death.