What to do after max dose of Amiodarone?

Doczilla

Forum Captain
Yes.... I didn't think it was possible to attatch an external fixator on what looks like 5lbs of ground beef.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
There's kits that Chinook makes, complete with typing kits, donor bag, Y tubing, etc.

There's preservatives in the bag, but its meant to be taken from one table to the other. (I.e donor to patient.)

Did a little over a half dozen last year. The last one was from a 30 tablet salicylate O.D, and the transfusions had to be topped off with a vasopressin drip.

The walking blood bank is hugely dependent on good screening and identification before deployment. It neatly sidesteps a lot of problems with blood storage, but it may not be realistic for many organizations.

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
Just curious, can you elaborate on how a sodium channel blocker does not mix with hyperkalemia? What is the physiologic basis?

Would it have something to do with decreasing the threshold for the action potential by allowing the cells to hyperpolarize easier? Which could lead to arrhythmias?

Just my guess...here to learn :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Just curious, can you elaborate on how a sodium channel blocker does not mix with hyperkalemia? What is the physiologic basis?

Na/K pump.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Awww, I was hoping to "enrich the forum" with a good pimping. :p oh well.

Sometimes less is more :)

But if you really want, there are a few NA driven renal pumps too.

Doczilla

Forum Captain
Yes, it (sodium potassium pump) is the single most important ATP requiring process in the body. A lot of people don't understand it though.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Yes, it (sodium potassium pump) is the single most important ATP requiring process in the body. A lot of people don't understand it though.

Because it is often taught by people who don't understand it.

Sort of like Ph.

Students in medic class go crazy over learning Ph. But when you learn it in Gen Chem, then it is not so bad.

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Same thing with dimensional analysis, pharmacology, ACLS, PALS....I could go on and on...all too often we see things being taught by those who have yet to master it themselves.

I do not have a HUGE issue with this, as a general understanding will get you most of the way in paramedic school...however most of these instructors are reluctant to admit when they are in over their head and end up giving false information. That is where my issue with the process begins.

No one ever completely masters everything...good instructors know this and refer students appropriately. The majority of instructors however just go with the flow, make something up, or worst of all, simply think they understand it and preach their false information as if it is gospel.

Pavehawk

Forum Lieutenant
Same thing with dimensional analysis, pharmacology, ACLS, PALS....I could go on and on...all too often we see things being taught by those who have yet to master it themselves.

I do not have a HUGE issue with this, as a general understanding will get you most of the way in paramedic school...however most of these instructors are reluctant to admit when they are in over their head and end up giving false information. That is where my issue with the process begins.

No one ever completely masters everything...good instructors know this and refer students appropriately. The majority of instructors however just go with the flow, make something up, or worst of all, simply think they understand it and preach their false information as if it is gospel.

We are havng this problem in my paramedic class right now. We have several instructors who are less then up to date on their knowledge base. It is making things a tiny bit awkward to have to approach one on break and let them know that albuterol does NOT turn into epi in the body and that's how it works... the problem is that most of the students don't know the difference and some of the ones who do don't care they just want the card so they can get a fire department job.. sigh... somethings never change

clearblueskies

Forum Probie
If you get to the max dose and you have ROSC then you need to start a drip. This is why you need to carry enough to mix a drip large enough to get you to the hospital. If you do NOT get ROSC you need to switch to some other drug like Lidocaine.