What the hell is wrong with people?

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
So I'm in the commissary and reaching up on a high shelf to grab a box of cereal. My shirt rides up, just a little bit, making my tattoo peak a bit. This chick comes up to me, jerks my shirt up and goes "ohhh cool tattoo!" then she motions her husband over to look at it!!! :wacko:

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Just think, she'll be teaching manners to her children one day...:unsure:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Sadly, we live in a world where boundaries have all but vanished and any semblance of what is proper is a foreign idea.

I hope you at least gave her a disapproving glare!

OP
OP
B

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Just think, she'll be teaching manners to her children one day...:unsure:

You assume she'll even bother with the teaching? :lol:

Sadly, we live in a world where boundaries have all but vanished and any semblance of what is proper is a foreign idea.

I hope you at least gave her a disapproving glare!

I've lived overseas where personal space is not thought of.. but I've never experienced anything like that before! It shocked me more then anything.

vquintessence

Forum Captain
Maybe she was trying to get you involved with her and the husband............ <shudder>

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Isn't the idea of the tattoo that once it's visible, it's meant to be seen?

People who get tattoos they don't want seen put them where they can't be seen, or make sure no one gets to see them. I have people come up to me and touch my earring (a coyote claw). At first it takes me by surprise but then, Hell, it's there to be seen and appreciated.

Perhaps the untatooed (like me) think people put on tattoos because they want them to be seen.

Burlyskink

Forum Lieutenant
I used to have long hair, down to my shoulders... I started shaving it all off a few months ago, at first my friends wanted to touch it and stuff, which I was cool with. Later on though I get people I don't even know come up and touch my head because they "Have never touched a bald head before"... :unsure:

ZVNEMT

Forum Lieutenant
I used to have long hair, down to my shoulders... I started shaving it all off a few months ago, at first my friends wanted to touch it and stuff, which I was cool with. Later on though I get people I don't even know come up and touch my head because they "Have never touched a bald head before"... :unsure:

same here.... but even when i had long hair people still touched it.... people are weird, how were they to know whether i had lice or not?

OP
OP
B

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Isn't the idea of the tattoo that once it's visible, it's meant to be seen?

People who get tattoos they don't want seen put them where they can't be seen, or make sure no one gets to see them. I have people come up to me and touch my earring (a coyote claw). At first it takes me by surprise but then, Hell, it's there to be seen and appreciated.

Perhaps the untatooed (like me) think people put on tattoos because they want them to be seen.

My tattoo happens to be a very large and personal piece that extends from my hip to my upper ribs. My shirt was riding up because my son was pulling on it while I was trying to grab his cherrios off the shelf. I dont mind people commenting on my tattoos. It's when they violate my personal space by ripping my shirt up to look at it when I tend to get irked.

very funny. :rolleyes:

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Some people just have no sense of etiquette. Pulling up your shirt? Not OK.

A few weeks ago, I was in the bathroom trying to get my hair under control. A coworker came in and said it was pretty, then grabbed it and started petting it. Earlier that week, she'd ranted to me about how much she hated it when white women tried to touch her hair because it was "different." I think she meant it as a compliment, so I didn't say anything, but it was pretty annoying.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Some people just have no sense of etiquette. Pulling up your shirt? Not OK.

A few weeks ago, I was in the bathroom trying to get my hair under control. A coworker came in and said it was pretty, then grabbed it and started petting it. Earlier that week, she'd ranted to me about how much she hated it when white women tried to touch her hair because it was "different." I think she meant it as a compliment, so I didn't say anything, but it was pretty annoying.

You don't lock the door to the bathroom? Or were you just in there to do that. Maybe she likes you?

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
You don't lock the door to the bathroom? Or were you just in there to do that. Maybe she likes you?

It's one of those bathrooms with a row of sinks and private stalls. I was at the sink. And yeah, I actually was just in there for that, not that it would've mattered...

Maybe she does, for all I know. Or maybe random strangers touching her hair have given her the impression that it's how us white women compliment each other. I dunno. It was just weird.

Some context: this job is in an area with very few minorities, and even fewer black people. She's pretty new to the area, and having people touch her hair apparently didn't happen elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trauma's Mistress

Forum Crew Member
I had the same thing happen
I have cherries on my lower stomach and I was reaching for something aswell, and this guy decided to point them out and tell everyone to look down there.
Boys lol Cant live with them, and cant kill them ;)

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Happens to me all the time...people come up and pet me, they take pictures, children point and giggle and want to play...it ain't easy being a Yeti in a modern world.