What kind of boots do you wear?

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
I had a pair of Magnums that I did all of my clinicals in. They were like mini-torture devices. The steel toes made my toenails ache and my feet hurt so bad by the end of the shift.

I finally had to trash them and ordered a pair of Danner Telson side-zip 8". So far they rock, I havent worked in them yet so I may change my attitude.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I had a pair of Magnums that I did all of my clinicals in. They were like mini-torture devices. The steel toes made my toenails ache and my feet hurt so bad by the end of the shift.

I finally had to trash them and ordered a pair of Danner Telson side-zip 8". So far they rock, I havent worked in them yet so I may change my attitude.

Danners rock. The steel toe in my boot (I forgot what the style was) never made me uncomfortable, except for one occasion with extenuating circumstances. My feet hurt like hell after a training I did that involved 3-4 miles of hiking across a 40 or so degree slope... going sideways not up or down the slope.

Otherwise my boots have stood up to everything I've thrown at them, which is a lot because I do mountain SAR.

The only disadvantage is working in the snow or extreme cold. I have to switch boots out in that occasion because the steel would make my toes freeze.

Tiffers

Forum Probie
That's awesome because I was just browsing around online trying to figure out which ones to buy! Thanks for the advice :)

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Call me crazy but in all my years, I have never worn a steel toe boot unless it was a fire boot for my bunker gear.

I never had the need and never had a situation where I regretted not having steel toe. None of my coworkers wore them and none of the services or counties I worked for issued them either; they would always issue regular boots.

Personally, I think boots are not needed. Several years I wore regular black shoes that were high enough for ankle support. Very comfortable, and no different than a boot minus you clopping around like a storm trooper.

Tiffers

Forum Probie
there are some medics/field MICNs that swear that if you don't get steel toe, at least get reinforced ankle protection? I personally wear doc martens at work and to class... but know that I need to invest in something that's at least waterproof or oil-slick resistant?

Keith

Forum Probie
I wear a pair pair of Bates 8i, side zip, composite toe... they are falling apart and less than a year old, don't buy these.

OP
OP
E

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
That's awesome because I was just browsing around online trying to figure out which ones to buy! Thanks for the advice :)

If youre gonna buy some online, try www.shoebuy.com. Using code anniversary08 (until 4/14) you get 20% off (if you miss the date, google shoebuy codes, they always have a 20% off coupon) plus if you register an account, you get an additional 10% off. They have free shipping and no tax 24/7 and fantastic customer service. I got my boots for $119.00ish from 180ish.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I wear a pair pair of Bates 8i, side zip, composite toe... they are falling apart and less than a year old, don't buy these.

My old company used to buy us boots each year. They always bought the bates. Hate them. Liked the thourogoods(sp?), comfortable and lasted several years of everyday wear.

Just got a pair of matterhorn. Very comfortable but have only had a few days.

All my duty boots are or have been 8"sidezip. Never wear steel toes for EMS. Had some for fire years ago, but only wore when fighting structure fires.

Try www.sportsmansguide.com for good prices on duty boots.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I always wear steel toe boots in EMS. Since I've been in the field, I've had D cylinders dropped on my toes, used my boots as a cot brake (since ours didn't have any), and worked some nasty extrication scenes where I was glad I had the extra protection.

Paladin

Forum Crew Member
Duty Tactical Boot: Bates Enforcer 8inch side zip
Duty Dress Boots: Magnum 4 inch boot or Rocky 8 inch side zip steel toe

So far have had no problems with any of them and I shine them constantly (to the point where there is a sign up sheet in quaters for everyone else)

Tiffers

Forum Probie
Is there a website to look at the different styles of EMS boots that any of you know about? It seems that everyone swears to a different pair and it's all going over my head with decifering the suggestions :(

medic417

The Truth Provider
Is there a website to look at the different styles of EMS boots that any of you know about? It seems that everyone swears to a different pair and it's all going over my head with decifering the suggestions :(

Check sites such as galls, www.sportsmansguide.com, www.buyemp.com, etc. You are looking for duty boots with side zipper. After time you will find certain brands work best for you. As to steel toe if not required where you work it's up to your preference, I don't like them so I don't wear them and in all the years with extrication etc have never had a call for them. Others swear the steel toes saved them. Now that I wrote this today I'll probably wish I had had on steel toes. :wacko:

uselessmedic

Forum Crew Member
Boots

I wear a pair of bates 8in side zip tactical, so far they have worn well!!!

*ofLife

Forum Crew Member
boots with da fur? :p

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
I use to have the CATS, but since our company started issuing the Magnum Viper Zip I must compliment them. This is the first type of boot I have used that doesn't slip on oil or gets damaged if you just look at it.

It is very comfortable and very easy to get into during the middle of the night when you get a call out. You just zip it up and off you go.

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
****ies Steel Toe Construction boots, the work great and were fairly cheap. Eventually im gonna upgrade to side zipped ones. My Department requires that we wear steel toed boots.

FutureFlightMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Erin, for my clinicals and medic unit internship I wear the Women's Danner Acadia. They are awesome and fit sooo well! (they do not have a steel toe, though). Soory, but I cannot remember which website I got them from, but I think you can google them. They still look so professional even after 2+ years of wear. I just polish them up once in awhile w/ black Danner boot grease, and they look like brand new! :rolleyes:

LE-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
Personally I would recommend, Ridge Air Tac. They are a 8 in. with a side zip, steel toe and an air pocket system in the heal much like athletic shoes. Once broken in they are extremely comfortable. I have been wearing them for the last five years while in corrections (standing on concrete floors for 16 hrs a day), Private Security, and Law Enforcement. But the most notable stress I can offer up is I was wearing them when I was involved in a motorcycle accident just over a year ago. That left me with a skull fracture, fractured ribs, a shattered shoulder, and more road rash then I care to remember. The purpose to my little story is after every thing (including my boxers) were cut off of me my boots were the only thing that I could wear home. I wear them to this day.