What is the minimum time you should stay at a company?

CARRERA

Forum Probie
To be respectful to the employer and not have a negative effect on your resume, how long should you stay?

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Why are you leaving?

Any 'outs' (dropping down to per diam?)? School? Etc...

Is this your first job? How many jobs have you had? Good reasons for leaving?

Depending on your options, 1 month or a while.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
The easiest answer is "It depends."

There was a company I was at where I was there for a week before I left. The company was bad, the equipment is bad, the pay was poor, the people sucked, and the way they operated was downright scary. I left for a slightly better company, which paid me a little more, and had a little more potential for better opportunities. Left there after 3 months, but I knew (as did management) that it was only going to be a 3 month thing.

Generally, you want to stay a year. Now, if you get a better offer from another place after 6 month, and want to jump ship, do so, but keep in mind you should stay at the new place for a long time. the original place probably won't take you back if you want to come back.

The other thing to remember is you DON'T need to list every place you worked on your resume. The short one week stint I mentioned before doesn't appear on my resume, nor do I ever tell anyone I worked there. And I know I have no intention of ever coming back.

So generally the answer is 1 year, but if you want to leave for a better offer do it. But don't keep leaving after short stints, because several short stints is hard to hide, and looks bad on a job application.

MS Medic

Forum Captain
DrP is right but to add to that, at least where I'm from, if you find yourself working for a company that has a bad reputation, alot of people will see a very short stay there better than a long one and the next employeer will not have a problem hiring you. Just follow DrP's advice and leave it off your resume.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
OP
OP
C

CARRERA

Forum Probie
In CA it could be hard to leave an EMS employer out of you resume because your 10 year driver history report (H6) will show what company has requested a "pull notice" for your driving record.

I like this company I start with tomorrow but they're not a 911 provider. I'm committed to working 7AM to 5PM Monday through Friday for up to six months, that doesn't give me much room for a second job with a 911 company. I'm thinking about volunteering for a 911 provider but nobody I've talked to in LA knows of anyone who does that because most people just work at a BLS company until they get a 911 job. I really hope someone in LA takes on volunteers for 911 because I want exposure to a variety of EMS work before I go to paramedic school.

Another thing is that I heard some 911 providers will help with tuition to a paramedic school but I'm sure you have to prove yourself to the company before they invest in your education. If I work at my first job for a year and move to a 911 provider it will probably be two years before I can get financial aid for school. I'm not sure if I can wait that long (I'm 24), I may have figure out how to pay for it on my own.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
In CA it could be hard to leave an EMS employer out of you resume because your 10 year driver history report (H6) will show what company has requested a "pull notice" for your driving record.

I like this company I start with tomorrow but they're not a 911 provider. I'm committed to working 7AM to 5PM Monday through Friday for up to six months, that doesn't give me much room for a second job with a 911 company. I'm thinking about volunteering for a 911 provider but nobody I've talked to in LA knows of anyone who does that because most people just work at a BLS company until they get a 911 job. I really hope someone in LA takes on volunteers for 911 because I want exposure to a variety of EMS work before I go to paramedic school.

Another thing is that I heard some 911 providers will help with tuition to a paramedic school but I'm sure you have to prove yourself to the company before they invest in your education. If I work at my first job for a year and move to a 911 provider it will probably be two years before I can get financial aid for school. I'm not sure if I can wait that long (I'm 24), I may have figure out how to pay for it on my own.

well to give you my two cents:

Alot of 911 providers in OC and some in LA County nowadays are alot more picky because there is an Influx of EMT's. so they really try to pick people with experience, although to say they wont ever hire new EMT's is wrong...
but i have heard that CARE ambulance in OC/LA County gets somewhere of 300 applicants a month.

i dont have much information about private 911 companies having volunteers, ive never really heard of it...

well if you want to go to Paramedic School in Southern California you do have to have a Minimum 6 months of Experience working as an EMT

another thing is working at an IFT company you get alot of experience with taking vitals/patient interaction and there are plenty of challenging calls especially with the CCT Nurses...
911 companies especially in OC are a very "Load and Go" mentality, and paramedics pretty much call all the shots since they are there 99% of the time....

IMHO id say get what you can get right now, gain as much experience as possible... unfortunately with this economy there isnt a luxury of choosing companies

VCEMT

Forum Captain

Fillmore, Santa Paula, and La Habra Heights. Exellent volunteer programs, if you can get in. Of course two are in Ventura County, however, Ventura has more to offer. Even for BLS.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
To be respectful to the employer and not have a negative effect on your resume, how long should you stay?

As long as ya don't get booted first, longevity isn't all that important until the number of places starts to rise :>) Just my .02 cents worth.

OP
OP
C

CARRERA

Forum Probie
Thanks for info!

I'd be willing to drive a bit to get to a volunteer program.

Living in LA I see emergencies around town a lot and when I see the paramedics helping people I always think to myself "That's what I'm supposed to do". :)
I really want to get involved in that area of EMS.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
15 minutes

Get some freebies if the place offends your spider sense. Skip the food.

terrible one

Always wandering
Fillmore, Santa Paula, and La Habra Heights. Exellent volunteer programs, if you can get in. Of course two are in Ventura County, however, Ventura has more to offer. Even for BLS.

Thanks for info!

I'd be willing to drive a bit to get to a volunteer program.

Living in LA I see emergencies around town a lot and when I see the paramedics helping people I always think to myself "That's what I'm supposed to do". :)
I really want to get involved in that area of EMS.

To add these are volunteer FDs (not sure if you knew that) and they do not transport.
If you are looking for volunteer FD in LA sierra madre is the only still all volunteer FD in LA county that have paid paramedics that transport. Also look at the beach cities Manhatten/Hermosa Beach have volunteers.
San Bernardino County has PCF at a lot of stations as well.