What is considered a BLS call in your area

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
I work for a private company with 5 911 towns.ALS is always dispatched through 911.BLS will cover towns or do emergencies if theres no ALS available.Also the dispatchers send BLS to the nursing home/assisted living emergencies and to back up boston ems they will send BLS.
Bro. Stop necro-posting and bringing back threads that are 5 years old. This is your second one that I've seen today.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Bro. Stop necro-posting and bringing back threads that are 5 years old. This is your second one that I've seen today.
And what exactly is wrong with that? It's not like he's "bumping" an old thread for the sake of bumping it, but actually replying to the topic being talked about. Ain't nothing wrong with that IMHO.

As for the topic at hand, for us, we respond at least two paramedics to every 911 call. While there's a policy that lists specific complaints and signs/symptoms will be ALS, but otherwise it's the medics discretion to release to BLS or not. Usually however, if the patient only requires BLS care (splinting and bandaging, or more often vitals, history, and transport) they'll release to us

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
And what exactly is wrong with that? It's not like he's "bumping" an old thread for the sake of bumping it, but actually replying to the topic being talked about. Ain't nothing wrong with that IMHO.

Scroll up to the first post by DEmedic. I'm just saying...it's a thing here. And for those who are counting, I think evantheEMT has now necro-posted 4 or 5 threads from 2008 over the span of a hour.
http://emtlife.com/threads/suggsted-addition-to-community-rules.38463/#post-535986

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Nothing.... Paramedics care for all 911 patients

In the last system I worked it was abused, often.

Last edited:

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm not replying anymore after this post. I'm not trying to pick a fight or start a flame war. But did you even read the link that I posted authored by a former moderator?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
So we are all clear, replying to old threads is fine so long as the content is relevant to the topic.

If you feel a post is in violation of the rules, report the post to the CL staff. That's the extent of what we would like you to do.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
None, in Bay Area any 911 call is ALS.
BLS only serves IFT and CCT.
This statement is neither true nor does it answer the original question:

First, I believe that the original question has to do with scope of practice for EMTs and given areas.

Second, just because a rig is equipped to perform ALS, doesn't mean that every call requires such interventions.

Lastly, it would seem that the mere fact that a person requires CCT makes it a non-BLS transport.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
This statement is neither true nor does it answer the original question:

First, I believe that the original question has to do with scope of practice for EMTs and given areas.

Second, just because a rig is equipped to perform ALS, doesn't mean that every call requires such interventions.

Lastly, it would seem that the mere fact that a person requires CCT makes it a non-BLS transport.
While not every patient needs ALS in CA calling 911 means you get an ALS ambulance and not a BLS one (in most areas).

Depending on the posters location BLS may do CCT calls. Take my area for example. My company is the only company allowed to do ALS calls because we are the only 911 provider. We also do BLS and CCT. The local BLS companies do BLS and CCT calls only (just have a nurse hop on a unit with 2 EMTs and you have a CCT unit, aside from the gear).

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Copy... Whatevs.

I am talking about scope of practice. You are talking about response plans. If I am mistaken, I'll STFU...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Copy... Whatevs.

I am talking about scope of practice. You are talking about response plans. If I am mistaken, I'll STFU...
The thread is very broad and just states what is a BLS or ALS call. It doesn't really ask about scope of practice. It just asks what type of calls will get an ALS vs BLS response.

drl

Forum Lieutenant
While not every patient needs ALS in CA calling 911 means you get an ALS ambulance and not a BLS one (in most areas).

Depending on the posters location BLS may do CCT calls. Take my area for example. My company is the only company allowed to do ALS calls because we are the only 911 provider. We also do BLS and CCT. The local BLS companies do BLS and CCT calls only (just have a nurse hop on a unit with 2 EMTs and you have a CCT unit, aside from the gear).

Yep, most places in the Bay Area have ALS response for a 911 call, but the call may be downgraded to BLS once on scene (ie the medic drives, EMT techs). In LA County though, most places have BLS ambulances respond to 911 calls, with a fire engine that has a medic on board. If ALS transport is needed, the FF hops in the back with his gear.

For my company's CCT calls, we pick up the nurse and one of the special CCT rigs that has a vent, monitor, etc and we're good to go.

PFDEMT

Forum Probie
I know an EMTB can handle all of those emergencies, but I would feel more comfortable if, in addition to the basic, someone else was on the rig, such as an I or P. Like I said, BLS providers can indeed treat those patients, but often I think ALS should be needed (ESPECIALLY depending on the longer response time. Few minute transport? not as much). Not saying this about your particular area, there is only so much a BLS crew can do with a cardiac arrest, for example, before ACLS is needed.

***I am NOT at all saying Basics can't do anything; I completely disagree with that, but we can argue this in a different thread (I think there is one already out there) if need be***

honestly tell me what more can you do as a medic during a cardiac arrest than a emt can other than push epi-vaso-intubate.

with out BLS skills and knowledge a cardiac arrest aint worth nothing. only thing that keeps pt alive is compression's. I never have ALS available in my service, I run arrest,stemi,overdose, gun shots, trauma.... I do it all. BVM YOUR PATIENT ALL THE WAY!!!!!!
bvm=cpap(manual)

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
honestly tell me what more can you do as a medic during a cardiac arrest than a emt can other than push epi-vaso-intubate.

with out BLS skills and knowledge a cardiac arrest aint worth nothing. only thing that keeps pt alive is compression's. I never have ALS available in my service, I run arrest,stemi,overdose, gun shots, trauma.... I do it all. BVM YOUR PATIENT ALL THE WAY!!!!!!
bvm=cpap(manual)
You should dig out your area's ALS protocol manual because contained within that will be many pages of what you won't be able to do as an EMT provider. The BVM is an extremely poor substitute for a CPAP, even assuming that you could maintain an adequate seal. From what I can tell so far, you're a good example for not knowing what you don't know. There's quite a bit that a well-educated medic could do for the cardiac arrest patient beyond epi-vaso-intubate. There's this class, known as ACLS that is just the start of an education for what to do in those situations. For many of us here, ACLS is but a merit-badge course as it's fairly basic to a lot of us here, but it's evidently well beyond what you've learned to date.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief

bvm=cpap(manual)
Are you being serious right now?