What is a 24 hour shift worth?

Dwindlin

Forum Captain
Both are better than the inpatient family med teams schedule. 8a-8pm, day of rounds/floor work (no admits, go home when done with your patients), than either 2 10a-11p or 2 8p-8a (plus FM cross coverage) shifts followed by a day off. No better way to kill a circadian rhythm.

That's an interesting schedule. Off topic but based on your sig I assume you decided upon EM?

JPINFV

Gadfly
That's an interesting schedule. Off topic but based on your sig I assume you decided upon EM?

Pretty much...now if only EM will decide on me. [fingers crossed]

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
I can't wait to finish Medic class this year and get out of my current private company. They don't believe that the wheels should be permitted to stop turning. We do 24 hour shifts, we get on the truck at 7am and roll out, we run stacked runs until 7am the next day.

Often times we get dispatched to the next run while we are still transporting on the previous run, there have been a few times were we call on scene and they advise us of our next call pending to rush us along. Its a terrible system.

The last shift I worked we put 536 miles on our rig and never left the area, just hopping runs solid. :glare:

This is not remotely safe. I wish there was a way to report services who do this to have them investigated.

FNGperpetual

Forum Crew Member
I get paid a "flat rate" of 175 per 24 hour shift.
They pay me 13.50 , for 13/24 hours.
3 hours off clock for "meals "and 8 hours off clock for "sleep"
And you are not allowd to sleep at station during the day.eh...
And being the intermediate, i ride/work in the back every call..write every report. W/c runs get bls/als care and documentation. So, my partner is driver only
Lol.:lol:
I feel better now..

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
And being the intermediate, i ride/work in the back every call..write every report. W/c runs get bls/als care and documentation. So, my partner is driver only
I feel better now..

:blink: Yeah, that would never fly for me. If I'm at work, you had damn well better be paying me. If not, I'm going home.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
:blink: Yeah, that would never fly for me. If I'm at work, you had damn well better be paying me. If not, I'm going home.

This. I will not at a place that does not pay me for my full shift

FNGperpetual

Forum Crew Member
I agree. I also dont know how its legal/ethical. But, we rarely get a call at night.
This company, has employess sign off fora list of infractions that can result in wage deductions. Ugh..but our regular patients do need us. :)h

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Jeebus...you're working for minimum wage. I feel sorry for your partner; bet he's getting even less.

Can you leave during those 11 hours that you are "off the clock?"
Are you expected to run a call if needed during that time?

You need to contact your state department of labor (or it's equivalent). Generally speaking, depending on that specific state's law, if you are required to be at work you are due some amount of compensation, even if you aren't "actively" working. In some states I believe this can be less than the minimum wage, but it goes up when you are "actively" working; ie if you are sleeping at night you get 4/hr, but if you get up for a call it goes up to the 7.29/hr you're getting during the day.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I feel better now..
Next time our employees complain about going an hour over shift, I'm gonna show them this.....

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
we get paid the same whether your on a 24 hr schedule or your on a 8 or 10.

I can see where a company wants to even it out. Where your 24 hour guys get 48 hrs a week vs. your 10 or 8 hour gets only get 40. I guess they also figure that the 24 hour guys get more flexibility and more time off so that's the difference.

OTOH My company if your on a "on call shift" where you get 25 bucks for the on call shift. you also get a 4 hour block of call in time. So If I am at home on a "on call shift" and we get a IFT. I can get the call and say yes I'm on my way. the 4 hour clock starts. If the run takes less than 4 hours. I still get 4 hours if it goes over then I'm still on the clock.

I do them for the few extra bucks, but the other half hates them cause its kinda like being on shift. so you need to remain sober, and if your partaking in activities. and still have to leave.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Tigger

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I can see where a company wants to even it out. Where your 24 hour guys get 48 hrs a week vs. your 10 or 8 hour gets only get 40. I guess they also figure that the 24 hour guys get more flexibility and more time off so that's the difference.

Well the 24 hours guys get less time off don't they? If I work a 48 hour work week I get less time off than someone on a 40 hour week. With a rotating schedule I also get a lot less flexibility in the rest of my life. Harder to get trades and all that.

Now I still prefer working them, but I don't agree with the above necessarily.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Well the 24 hours guys get less time off don't they? If I work a 48 hour work week I get less time off than someone on a 40 hour week. With a rotating schedule I also get a lot less flexibility in the rest of my life. Harder to get trades and all that.

Now I still prefer working them, but I don't agree with the above necessarily.

I meant it in a more of a more physical days off.

the 8 or 10 hour guys have to report to post 5 days a week

the 24 hour guys have to report to post 2 days a week.

Don't get me wrong I prefer the 24 hour shift too. But I got a pretty cushy schedule I work a 24 on a Saturday and a Monday. every week, Yeah it sucks taking a weekend away but Tuesday through Friday is mine. Sunday is usually not a bad day either just depends on how my shift goes.