Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Something Else

Votes: 23 62.2%
  • I've got no idea why I'm doing this

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters

CPG

Forum Crew Member
Here is my "first" Hero Story, and the concrete decision to go into EMS....

Two years ago this Christmas, My wife and I were going north on a road in Des Moines, Iowa, when we nearly hit a hispanic female crossing the road in the rain, not watching where she was going. About two blocks later, my wife yells out, OMG, she got hit by a car!!!.....I yell at her to turn around.....

ON arrivial I find this gal getting up from the road, and walking to the sidewalk, COVERED IN BLOOD. I have my wife get by jump kit from the trunk of the car and I start into first aid. She opens my kit (in hysterics) and POOF no gloves. I ask the cafe manager for gloves, he gives me food prep gloves.

Anywho, I get on to direct pressure, I attempt to lay her down, but all I get are painful sounds from her, and she starts to pass out on me. 150lbs, 20 bystanders, and only me holding on to this gal.

I am the only calm one in the crowd. Victim goes limp, people scream, I get her on her back, have the cafe manager (former Navy) hold manual c-spine.

I start assessing her in the only way I knew how. A-B-C's The Police show up and he is more concerned with writing tickets, the FD shows up and they are like, all the hard work is done......

End of the story is she was a Trauma 1, broke 2-3 bones had surgury and then tried to sue the cafe, vehicle owner, and myself. The judge told her off.....concerning me he said "He coule have kept on driving, you could have died."

Ever since them I have been a certified Trauma Junkie. I finish EMT-B in 3 weeks.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Hey.. for fun, I added a poll to this thread. Feel free to vote.

apple2gs

Forum Ride Along
Scrubs
After graduating from college this last year with a degree in child development
I decided I would go back to school to become an EMT

WLSC2008

Forum Crew Member
Well for me it was a few different things.

I always watched Rescue 911 and was also a boy scout in fact I am an Eagle Scout.

I got my lifeguard certification and did that for many years while I was in H.S. and college.

I started to dispatch at our local ambulance service and loved it but got bored of not being able to leave the office.

I wanted to take my class for years but never could find the time with my college classes.

Now that I have and am taking the national practicials tonight. I am very glad that I did.

mdkemt

Forum Lieutenant
I always had an interest in the medical field but one day I woke up and that day started out great. I got ready headed to school and was in IA class. My friend and I were workin on seperate projects when I hard a screem. She had slipped on the table saw and cut her wrist. From that day forward I decided I wanted to be in EMS. I was the only one that could remain calm and collective even the teacher was yellin and screemin.

medicinthemaking

Forum Ride Along
Smart five year old...

Long story..but I'll try to sum it up...

I asked my mom this very question when I graduated high school and so she gave me a letter written to Santa Claus from when I was five. On my list of gifts I was requesting there was a stethoscope (spelled horribly wrong in terrible penmanship) so that I could be a doctor like her. She has been an EMT-B for 16 years now but when I was little I made the assumption that she was a doctor when she would come home from work, I would play with her equipment and I also went to a lot of meetings where I played the role of the injured kid for continuing education. So...that's that...weird I realize, but true.

emtd29

Forum Lieutenant
It seemed like the thing to do at the time.

*ofLife

Forum Crew Member
I've had events preparing me for this all my life. It all started when I witnessed a car accident and called the police when I was 8 or 9.

The most recent event that actually got me thinking seriously about getting EMT-Basic training was a car accident I was involved in. A girl I went to school with crossed the centerline of a country road for unknown reasons and collided with my vehicle head on.

Its a long story, but basically I fought for my life that day and was complimented by the EMS crew and police department on my bravery.

And I've always been a trauma queen and into helping people, charity, donating blood, etc...

Oh, and the other girl involved in that accident died on impact and my ankle was shattered into roughly 100 pieces. thank god for PT.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
(Holy Moly, I just saw I'm a Forum Captain now. No ambulance company I EVER worked for would have brought me up that high in the official ranks!)

If you keep posting, you become a chief