What have you lost?

hippocratical

Forum Lieutenant
Well, not lost so much, but how have you changed since you became an EMS?

I was chatting to a friend of mine who's ex-army, and we were shooting the sh:t about medic stuff. He said the one thing that changed for him is that he can't have BBQ pork anymore as it gives him flashbacks from dealing with burned bodies. Being Brits we made as many inappropriate jokes about this as you can imagine. It's what we do.

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone else has lost or changed at all from their experiences as EMS?

I know you're all jaded buggers, that's a given, but anything else?

For me it's smoking - I gave up years ago, but seeing how patients with COPD or Emphysema slowly drown in their own fluids gives me pause when considering a nice cigar...

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
I understand the smoking bit, but I think for me it actually made me lose some of my... safety net? I've seen the fragility of life. I've seen how quickly and unexpectedly it can be snuffed out.

Since getting into Fire/EMS, I started riding a motorcycle, and have generally been willing to do other things I was "afraid" to do before. Mind you, I wear a helmet/gloves/armored jacket at all times, but still - I don't want to let fear of getting hurt stop me from accomplishing things.

OP
OP
hippocratical

hippocratical

Forum Lieutenant
Since getting into Fire/EMS, I started riding a motorcycle...

It's funny you say that, as I have an EMT friend who bought himself a crotch rocket. I said "Dude! You ride a Donorcycle? In this town?" Drivers here (and everywhere really) are terrible at checking lanes and seem to be magnetically attracted to ramming bikes.

I would love to get one, but need to get some invincibility powers 1st. I need to drink some nuclear waste for that right?

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I started riding a motorcycle too. Depending on how I feel, I'll suit up, or go with jeans and a t-shirt. I've also done shorts and t shirt a few times as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sasha

Forum Chief
My mind.

Have you seen it? Last time i saw it it was running down the street.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
My sanity. Family/friends see something bad and their reaction is "Ewwww". My reaction is "that's pretty cool".

325Medic

Forum Lieutenant
Last edited by a moderator:

sirengirl

Forum Lieutenant
since starting school..... my job.

Apparently I have to be available 32 hours a week (as a part timer, mind you) even though they only ever schedule me 11. Go figure.

dstevens58

Forum Lieutenant
since starting school..... my job.

Apparently I have to be available 32 hours a week (as a part timer, mind you) even though they only ever schedule me 11. Go figure.

That sucks. I'm going into medic school in a "still laid off" status. Good thing I'll have plenty of time to study.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I've lost an aversion to risk, or become more risk-tolerant. I suppose I've lost some number of years of physical comfort due to injuries. I've lost a lot of money I would have made doing something else.

I'm not complaining about any of this -- just answering the question.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I lost "normal" high school and college years. I lost perspective on what discomfort means. I lost the medial cruciate ligament in my knee this year.

But I gained so much more.

McGoo

Forum Crew Member
I lost a lot of sympathy for people who are abusing me and/or the service we provide. And I guess I lost the feeling of always minimising risks. I got my bike licence, am now just waiting for approval and money to get a bike.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
I have lost junk food from my diet, I have lost stagnent behavior and I have lost the desire to drink, smoke or do any other drug.

tylerp1

Forum Crew Member
My love for molasses cookies..i guess the smell of milk and molasses enemas/poo will do that to you :p

Last edited by a moderator:

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
From the perspective of "What next?" I found once I left the field, no matter the assignment or the consequences, they were all small potatoes because through EMS I learned what Big Stakes really are!

Independent thinking, though fun for me, was the bane of anyone who ever hired me since. The truth is I've been largely unemployable because of it so I've had to make my own niche wherever I've gone, align with other renegades like myself, and seek out stuff that provides maximum autonomy with a heavy dose of "Rush Factor" in the package.

I, too, have lost my faith in humanity, though I think the whole mess is hilarious!

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
I've lost a lot of pens, some sleep, and any respect for my coworkers.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Sleep

And compassion and sympathy for those who refuse to help themselves when all the resources are available to them.