What has your bachelors degree done for you in EMS?

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Who here has a bachelors degree (or higher)? What has it done for you in EMS? Maybe some of you have been following some of my post in the past? I have been considering completing one while I still can before my G.I. Bill Benefits expire.

Whats your degree in, does it even matter so long as its a BA or BS? for example a BA in humanities or liberal studies vs a BS in science or public health or even EMS.
Is your pay any better?

I read an interesting article which can be found here
http://www.ems1.com/ems-education/a...ree-requirement-for-paramedics-Is-it-just-B-S
entitled "A college degree requirement for paramedics: Is it just B.S.?"

It raises some interesting points.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maine iac

Forum Lieutenant
I've got a BS in Geography- specifically GIS.

I am quite interested in the CAD system and I feel like some improvements could be made, but it is hard to expresses those feelings when a) I am new, and b) if you don't understand GIS and how powerful it is, then you won't understand what improvements I am telling you we should/could have.

I am new to EMS, did my degree then got my medic cert. I can't say for sure that it helped land me a job, but I got the job that I wanted with a very reputable service which should open up all the doors later on in my career.

Since I did a bunch of "science stuff" I should be able to get a BSN faster than 4 years if I choose to do that.

Having a degree did not get me a pay raise, but I am paid quite well and at this point can't complain.

A degree is quickly becoming the standard entry for employment, so if 5 or 10 years down the line EMS isn't for me anymore, I should still be competitive in a job market. Plus if I want to move up or around in EMS I have a university degree, which should give me some leeway for a sup position or education position.

But really a degree will get you nontangible things. Better ability to read and understand papers, better ability to research and write, and generally a more educated person. Obviously there are some caveats to this, but I think a university education exposes you to many different things all which make you a better person.

Plus there are some really cool classes and err.... not sure if you are a NCAA sports fan but... cheap or free tickets to games? Yes please!

If you have potentially a free university degree just waiting for you I would jump all over that. In the long run it will be worth it, and if not, it's not your money. But seriously do it.

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Depends on what route you want to take schulzenstein!

I am finishing my BS in Biology, mainly because I am applying to medical school and want to contribute to EMS via the higher education/medical direction route someday.

If you want to be taken seriously in education, I would say a BA or BS in a science field (chemistry, bio, biochem, etc.) would be the way to go, with either a minor or post graduate master's in education. This would be a great route to take in order to teach higher education, and it would exceed the requirements for most of the jobs I have seen.

If you are wanting to get into management and leave the bedside so to speak, I would recommend business and maybe an MBA.

Want to get into equipment and technology? Maybe a bachelors in biomedical engineering would be a good route.

The bottom line is, find whichever route interests you the most, and that is probably where you are most likely to succeed.

Knowing you...if you are interested in staying in the clinical role, I would recommend getting a BS in Biology and maybe pursuing your MPAS (becoming a physician assistant) and transitioning to the hospital setting. You can still dabble in EMS a bit. I know a few EMS agencies that have PAs as their associate medical director, or in charge of clinical outcomes, QA/QI, etc. You could also continue working in the Middle East with your PA, or go to other international areas...and make about 3-4 times what you are making now, in some areas...

That's just my two cents though. Either way you cut it though, if you are planning on getting some sort of science degree, I would take all of your science courses in a classroom, and make sure you find courses with an associated lab when applicable. Their are plenty of online degree factories...don't get caught up in one.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
B.A. in economics - NYU

It has done nothing for me.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I have a few posts on here about the program I am taking. BS in Public Safety Administration.I have an AAS in ems plus a few years university before that. My program is from a umaine school and can be done 100% online. I want to have something I can fall back on if ems isn't for me down the road. This will also let me get into ems management if I so choose. The degree will help me if I stay in ems or transition to fire or emo/fema kind of work.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
B.A. in economics - NYU

It has done nothing for me.

Surprised it hasn't helped with administrative stuff - I have an econ background as well. While it doesn't directly translate to business and management, it certainly is applicable, right?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm pursuing a BA in political science right now. As was stated and is especially true with an arts degree, it's the intangibles that count the most. It improves ones communicating and learning skills greatly if done right. A liberal arts education is learning to be a well rounded learner, or at least that's my interpretation.

The fluffy stuff aside, I want to be more than a basic someday, so I am and have taken more than a few chem, bio, psych, and math courses to eliminate prerequisite courses for BSN and PA programs down the line. If you do choose to go the arts route, I highly recommend doing this and doing it early, who knows what doors the right courses can open...

Last edited by a moderator:

polisciaggie

Forum Crew Member
I'm pursuing a BA in political science right now. As was stated and is especially true with an arts degree, it's the intangibles that count the most. It improves ones communicating and learning skills greatly if done right. A liberal arts education is learning to be a well rounded learner, or at least that's my interpretation.

The fluffy stuff aside, I want to be more than a basic someday, so I am and have taken more than a few chem, bio, psych, and math courses to eliminate prerequisite courses for BSN and PA programs down the line. If you do choose to go the arts route, I highly recommend doing this and doing it early, who knows what doors the right courses can open...

I knew I couldn't be the only one working on my BA in Political Science in EMS!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
BSN, 1985.
Took me off the streets (mostly), made me qualified for a commission with the Air National Guard, gave me a profession I can find openings in at many many locations.
It also gave me a much wider education in physical examination, assessment, anatomy, and direct patient care; it also pried me away from the total macho ambulance/street/FD world I'd been in up to then.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It has made me more aware of the lack of education within EMS. Personally, it had opened doors in administration and educational areas, but unfortunately EMS cannot compete and I will be soon leaving EMS and back into nursing full time. The BSN has opened multitudes of opportunity within that profession as well.

R/r 911

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
Nothing for me personally as I went to medical school. But, I can say that my former employer gave preference to staff with a BS or BA for supervisory and administrative positions. They hired a director of operations on the condition that he complete his masters in public safety, if I recall correctly.

My current employer has done similar for certain positions.

It may not necessarily get you more pay, but it may give you an edge over someone else for certain positions.

Also, if you ever decide to go into nursing, PA, or medical school, you'll be that much more closer than the medic with only a cert.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Surprised it hasn't helped with administrative stuff - I have an econ background as well. While it doesn't directly translate to business and management, it certainly is applicable, right?

its applicable if you want to do administrative stuff. I actually have more education than those people in my company. But I want to be a paramedic so.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
It has made me more aware of the lack of education within EMS. Personally, it had opened doors in administration and educational areas, but unfortunately EMS cannot compete and I will be soon leaving EMS and back into nursing full time. The BSN has opened multitudes of opportunity within that profession as well.

R/r 911

I bet it has. I have returned to school and will be pursuing a master's degree to pursue opportunities outside of EMS.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
So what everyone here is saying is that a bachelor or higher degree gives you the opportunity to leave a minimally paying job for a better paying job that may be more satisfactory for one reason or another?

Interesting concept...

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I've been saying for some time that to promote to the supervisor ranks in EMS, many places are now requiring a four year healthcare degree. I wouldn't recommend that you pigeonhole yourself into a BS in EMS. It obviously has limited applications. Other degrees are much more useful. For those like myself that took a non degree paramedic program, completing an EMS AAS is a no-brainer - you're given anywhere from 30-40 credits give or take for a P-card. Your gen-eds and such can be applied to other healthcare degrees.

I work in a fire department. I've asked numerous individuals here what degrees I should pursue if I either want to leave one day, or to continue to earn a generous salary after retirement. This question applies to EMS only as well. The answer is Emergency Management, hands down! It opens many doors. With an EMS AAS and at least a four year EM degree, you could probably justify your way into an EMS admin position that's looking for a healthcare degree.

94H

Forum Lieutenant
BA in International Studies

1 Semester of BSN down, 3 to go.

Has done absolutely nothing for me EMS-wise. Though it might have helped me land my job (I think it was more connections though)

hoop762

Forum Crew Member
BA in human resources.

Hasn't done much for me so far, but I figure it'll be great to fall back on when I break my back carrying an 800lb pt down a flight of stairs.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
BA in Economics after next month.
I imagine it will look very nice on my wall, and really bring the room together.

On a more serious note, though, a degree in an unrelated field (like economics) may not give you any direct knowledge about EMS or firefighting or rescue techniques. But what a college degree will do is teach how to learn and analyze information, which is a skill applicable to anything you do in your life, whether it be EMS, farming, or nuclear engineering. It can also build connections, allow you to meet people you would never meet in Fire/EMS, and it also gives you access to some wild parties, or so I hear.

That and if I fall off a roof and break my femurs, I'll be able to find a different career.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Bachelors of Science Degree in Information Systems & History (double major) from Syracuse University.

has done absolutely nothing for me in EMS