What happened to good shepherd ambulance?

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Any former employee of good shepherd ambulance know what happened to the company? They appeared to be not every small company and yet they went out of business. Very sad to see that happen. Hopefully employees will get their last check.

For anyone interested here is their bankruptcy filling bankrupt.com/misc/cacb13-38526.pdf

OP
OP
L

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Don't see the way to edit above page so will reply to myself.

I been looking over bankruptcy filling and can't believe what I see. This company owed $125k in worker comp, 350k in payroll taxes, another 250k to IRS.I just found post on google review from supposedly former employee saying owner didn't pay taxes in 5 years. WTF?

Emtsgv

Forum Crew Member
Just saw them at an ER like monday

Emtsgv

Forum Crew Member
I guess they are still in business, i thought they filed chapter 7 but it's actually bankruptcy under chapter 11. However see this http://www.vanhornauctions.com/good-shepherd-ambulance.html

It looks like everything is bieng auctioned off, so I wonder what they have left 1 vehicle ?

Dang... Yah that could be it or they just running as many calls before everything gets sold trying to make some money I have no idea but I'll keep my eyes open and if I find one out ill have a chat with them

Kabob

Forum Ride Along
Ex GSA employee here. Good shepherds last day in operation was 1/25/14. They had filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in December because they were having issues paying their payroll (bounced payroll checks was a common occurrence) and other obligations due to owing a ton of money to the IRS. According to management filing chapter 11 allowed them to get on a reasonable payment plan with the government and we were assured our jobs were safe as a chapter 11 bankruptcy is merely a restructuring of the company. Without notice on 1/24 midshift all employees were informed that the Court appointed trustee in charge of the Bankruptcy decided that the company was no longer viable and that the bankruptcy would be converted to a Chapter 7(liquidation) and that the next day would be our last.They also told that we would receive our last paychecks. Because we were assured our pay we all worked the rest of our shifts that day and showed up for work the next day, which in retrospect was a mistake considering we still haven't been paid our final 2 weeks and likely never will.

OP
OP
L

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Ex GSA employee here. Good shepherds last day in operation was 1/25/14. They had filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in December because they were having issues paying their payroll (bounced payroll checks was a common occurrence) and other obligations due to owing a ton of money to the IRS. According to management filing chapter 11 allowed them to get on a reasonable payment plan with the government and we were assured our jobs were safe as a chapter 11 bankruptcy is merely a restructuring of the company. Without notice on 1/24 midshift all employees were informed that the Court appointed trustee in charge of the Bankruptcy decided that the company was no longer viable and that the bankruptcy would be converted to a Chapter 7(liquidation) and that the next day would be our last.They also told that we would receive our last paychecks. Because we were assured our pay we all worked the rest of our shifts that day and showed up for work the next day, which in retrospect was a mistake considering we still haven't been paid our final 2 weeks and likely never will.
Thanks for posting that.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Interesting.

Chapter 11 is a restructure but its at the discretion of the bankruptcy court to decide if they are worth more dead or alive. With that much debt for that size company I'm not surprised they moved them to chapter 7.

I wouldn't be surprised to see management start up a new company in the next few years.

OP
OP
L

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Interesting.

Chapter 11 is a restructure but its at the discretion of the bankruptcy court to decide if they are worth more dead or alive. With that much debt for that size company I'm not surprised they moved them to chapter 7.

I wouldn't be surprised to see management start up a new company in the next few years.

If they do start it, it will have to be outside of L.A County. Unlike before you could just work in city of L.A which just required you to have 1 year experience in ambulance industry, county requires 5. Also with City of L.A it takes about 4 month to get permit before city council, looking at the backlog that county got right now, it will probably take 3-5 years before all of the company's get their hearing.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
You seem to be under the impression that all ambulance companies always operate with full licensure in LA City.

OP
OP
L

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
You seem to be under the impression that all ambulance companies always operate with full licensure in LA City.

No i am not but things have changed. Before you didn't need county license so it was much easier to operate. Now new company's must be approved unlike existing company's before operating in the county. It's much harder to get away with it compare to getting away in not having city licensed. Granted there is away around it but it's costly, the only exception is if you bring patient in to the county/city and your rig don't move until the patient is ready to go back. Otherwise only licensed operator can take patient back.