What do you use to take notes on a call?

What do you use as a notepad?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
As I have a horrible short term memory I take notes throughout every call. What I usually do is tear off a foot or so worth of tape and stick it to my pant leg and take notes on that. Then when it comes time for the PCR I stick the tape on the clipboard and transfer everything pertinent over.

I've seen some people use note-pads, others use their gloves, some with sharp memories that don't take notes at all.

What method do you use?

By the way, I'm going to set up a poll with this, I think, let's see if I can pull that off! :ph34r:

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
As a ground provider, I used to put a 6" long piece of wide bandage tape on my right pant leg. When I fly, I use a small pilot's kneeboard. In hospital, if I really need to remember something I just use a ballpoint pen and write what I need on the leg of my scrubs.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Depends, I can usually remember all my vitals and times in my head. However, when it comes to allergies, meds, med hx, etc, out comes the notepad. I don't use tape because I hate the stains it leaves on my pants.

And I hate it when people use gloves, what it the point of even wearing them if you are going to take them off and throw them all over the counter while you do your report?:wacko: Yuck!

emt_irl

Forum Captain
back of my glove usually or our patient care report once we start transport. although im liking the tape idea, its brilliant

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
back of my glove usually or our patient care report once we start transport. although im liking the tape idea, its brilliant
Yea tape is better than gloves. Just make sure you pull the tape off as soon as the run is over or you get nasty faded, stained spots where the tape goes.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I usually use the nearest FR or EMT who comes with me to the call :ph34r:

They write it on the PCR.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I always carry a small cheap spiral notepad in my breast pocket with a ballpoint pen.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
I usually use the nearest FR or EMT who comes with me to the call :ph34r:

They write it on the PCR.

.. or one of the two cops or eight firefighters that have shown up, or if its a really good call you know the medical director will come along too! :D :D

I personally use a small spiral notebook.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Very few calls are so critical that I can't take the time to write proper notes in my notepad. If they are that critical then I just reach over and hit the event button on the LP12 to get the exact time for an intervention. The few milestones that I can't tag on the monitor (moving to vehicle, extrication, etc.) I just look at my watch.

Once on an MCI for my incident report I had FD print a transcript from their dispatch (EMS dispatch does not have this on demand) which had all vehicle arrival and transport times, extrication start/finish, command assumed, etc.

I won't use gloves. Disgusting habit to get in to.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
.. or one of the two cops or eight firefighters that have shown up, or if its a really good call you know the medical director will come along too! :D :D

I personally use a small spiral notebook.

Whoa whoa, cops doing something medically related on a medical call? :p ;)

As far as the firefighters go, we're lucky. We only usually get 2 for a transport when we need it, sometimes more if it's serious :wacko:

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
As a ground provider, I used to put a 6" long piece of wide bandage tape on my right pant leg. When I fly, I use a small pilot's kneeboard. In hospital, if I really need to remember something I just use a ballpoint pen and write what I need on the leg of my scrubs.

UGH! You're one of those people. I love getting a pair of scrubs from the hospital laundry with notes scribbled on them. :p Makes me wonder how well they wash them....

I try to carry a little notebook. I tape important info and phone numbers radio stuff all over the cover. White tape works in a jiffy though.

In the clinical setting I'm always grabbing paper towels. I'm somewhat infamous for it. If I have gloves on and someone needs patient information I gesture to my scrub pocket and they know exactly what they're looking (rather feeling) for. I'll often have one paper towel in pocket per patient with multiple sets of vitals etc scribbled all over the place.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I used to use either the PCR or tape on my leg. Sometimes, if I have a notepad handy... Depends on the call... Really.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I learned a trick from one of my first partners (don't most EMTs turn out like their first preceptors/partners?), and have taught dozens. I start every day with a stack of 3x5" index cards, held together by a small binder clip. All pertinent info gets written down, then goes right back into my right shirt pocket, and pen into the left. It never gets put down (always away), so I never lose it...
My regular partners all carry the same, so on scene, they can get a med list, etc. on their card, and hand it to me, to go with my cards (when teching). Triage vitals always go on a new card (with patient's name/social/DOB), and to the nurse. The way of the card is quite effective... and has saved my butt several times.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Since switching over to ePCRs, I haven't really come up with a good method. I used to use the top edge of the paper report - it was pulled off when the different copies were separated.

I don't use my gloves for a couple reasons. First, the "ewww" factor that has already been mentioned. Secondly, I always forget and throw them away before I get the info transferred over. I've just never gotten into the habit of using tape either. We don't keep a roll of wide tape on the bench, (not that I couldn't do that on my shift) so it isn't right there to grab. We recently got a new truck that you can use dry erase markers on the walls. We do have a set of markers, but I haven't really done that either.

Lately, the FFs have been writing all of the demographic info and other pertinent info (meds, hx, etc) on a form they keep in their clipboard and giving me that. I can transfer all the info from my lifepak to my computer, so I don't have to worry about situations where I am too busy to write that info down or enter it into the computer as I do it.

I guess right now, I don't really use anything, but I really should.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
In the clinical setting I'm always grabbing paper towels. I'm somewhat infamous for it. If I have gloves on and someone needs patient information I gesture to my scrub pocket and they know exactly what they're looking (rather feeling) for. I'll often have one paper towel in pocket per patient with multiple sets of vitals etc scribbled all over the place.

I did that too at my hospital. Was the only one who seemed to do it so I got to be known for doing it on all the floors.

As for calls, I usually have a small spiral in one of my pockets.. .somewhere... I'll let you know when my pants spit it back out.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
I used the tape on my leg method for years, then one day I just stop doing it. I just seem to be able to remember stuff better now. I will occasionally write on the pts 12 Lead or monitor strip while in the back of the truck. I've never used gloves for reasons already mentioned.

busmonkey

Forum Crew Member
I always use gloves for notes. I don't know why, I guess it's just handy. I usually transfer notes off of my gloves into my notebook after the call, just so I document everything well and I have it all on record in case something goes sour!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Like most other folks here have stated, it depends.

However, I am also a 3x5 index card guy. I keep a stack in my breast pocket and use those for notes. I've become famous for forgetting the patient's name, so that's always at the top, along with age, HX, meds and other stuff I'll need when I give my report. I've been doing it that way for years and it works.

As for the glove method... It's not for me. Not only is it kinda gross, but I'll reglove several times during a call, and there is NO way I'll dig through the garbage for vitals written on a glove.

Last edited by a moderator:

busmonkey

Forum Crew Member
Like most other folks here have stated, it depends.

However, I am also a 3x5 index card guy. I keep a stack in my breast pocket and use those for notes. I've become famous for forgetting the patient's name, so that's always at the top, along with age, HX, meds and other stuff I'll need when I give my report. I've been doing it that way for years and it works.

As for the glove method... It's not for me. Not only is it kinda gross, but I'll reglove several times during a call, and there is NO way I'll dig through the garbage for vitals written on a glove.

I never really thought about the regloving, I guess it's kind of second nature for me, but n7 is correct. I usually re glove especially in trauma situations or w/ multiple patients. That is a good consideration!

Lucid21

Forum Ride Along
When running a call I usually write small notes on the back of the printout of the call. Or sometimes I'll just use the ePCR as I'm going along.