What do you do to take a break from EMS/medicine/nursing/whatever?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Extreme ironing

6c002307-95fb-7a05.jpg

And underwater basket weaving

6c002307-9613-55cf.jpg

Haha

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Get me outside please. Skiing is my thing and I get around every other weekend off so it works out. This summer I'm thinking about bringing my boat (19 foot skiff kinda thing) and then taking it to the Charles River after wok and cruising around Boston Harbor. We'll see, our parking lot is small...

OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
extreme ironing, that is awesome.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
I lift things up and put them down again but its rarely a weight. Far more likely to be a glass of cab sav or maybe a sangiovese blend of some description, than an accountably heavy chunk of something-or-other. Food, coffee and wine. I live in a region fairly well known for the first and third, so life is pretty grand.

I also play guitar. Just bought a new SG standard with a few mods so I'm getting about the business of pissing my neighbours off. Looking at a fender twin reverb...gotta have something decent to play the blues with after all.

I read. Usually whatever various ABC 24/Radio national shows tell me too. Currently reading "Sex at dawn". Challenging the current model of the evolution of human sexuality. Tremendously funny and interesting. Highly recommend it. /advertising. :p

I also have a subscription to Nature..a must for any self respecting nerd.

TV/Movie buff. I love watching series of very cinematic TV shows. Just finished the last season of the west wing. Currently watching the Tudors. Planning on a Dr Strangelove costume complete with wheelchair for next costume party.

With what little time and money I have left I read medical journals and buy cheap knock offs of designer furniture. I basically a massive wanka.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Plan my wedding.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I lift things up and put them down again but its rarely a weight. Far more likely to be a glass of cab sav or maybe a sangiovese blend of some description, than an accountably heavy chunk of something-or-other. Food, coffee and wine. I live in a region fairly well known for the first and third, so life is pretty grand.

I also play guitar. Just bought a new SG standard with a few mods so I'm getting about the business of pissing my neighbours off. Looking at a fender twin reverb...gotta have something decent to play the blues with after all.

I read. Usually whatever various ABC 24/Radio national shows tell me too. Currently reading "Sex at dawn". Challenging the current model of the evolution of human sexuality. Tremendously funny and interesting. Highly recommend it. /advertising. :p

TV/Movie buff. I love watching series of very cinematic TV shows. Just finished the last season of the west wing. Currently watching the Tudors. Planning on a Dr Strangelove costume complete with wheelchair for next costume party.

With what little time and money I have left I read medical journals and buy cheap knock offs of designer furniture. I basically a massive wanka.

Read that one last year...good stuff. Always interesting the looks I received when holding it up and turning the pages at the airport amidst my travels....

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief

Nice. Im rockin a 1991 Fender Jap strat and a Gibson Les Paul Studio through a Marshall TSL60 combo

TornWingedAngel1

Forum Crew Member
I make an effort to see friends.

It isn't really a break though because half my friends are work friends and we always end up "Did you HEAR what happened on so and so's shift!?!?!"

Generally, I try to avoid having too many EMS friends. Like a few other have said, I hang out with a few of my partners I’ve worked with who I have gotten particularly close with, but we do everything we can to not talk about work. Our extent of EMS talk goes as far as:

My buddy: How was your shift? (if we didn’t work together.)
Me: It was good/bad. We had a call that <explain call briefly.)
My buddy: That’s cool/sucks. Well, lets go play some DnD.

That said, I have more hobbies than I can keep up with. I have a group of people I get together with once a week and we get together and play DnD (or some variety of tabletop roleplaying game), or just do a board game night or something. It’s usually pretty nerdy. Occasionally I may just go out for a few beers or something, nothing big.

As far as my more solo activities, like others, I’ve paled guitar (I’m not good at it…but I do it. I’m actually in the process of trying to learn a song to play for my girl…ugh…), I am a huge gamer (Xbox, PS3, Wii, doesn’t matter to me), I do a bit of working out (not a buff at it by any means, but I refuse to become one of those totally unhealthy paramedics) and I like to write. (Plan on getting the first draft of my sixth novel done over the summer since I’m only taking two classes over the summer.)

I absolutely love to travel but don’t get to very much. Finances aside, I work full time and go more-than-fulltime at school…so I literally don’t have a single day completely off during the week…doesn’t leave much time for travel.

tssemt2010

Forum Lieutenant
i love fishing, drinking beer and working on cars or just being lazy and watching tv

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Just hang out with family and friends. Funny thing is that's the same thing I do anyway... They know I go do work, but they rarely hear about it. Home life is at home, work life is at work, I try to NEVER mix them. Occasionally I like to go hiking, biking, skiing, shooting, riding of two-wheeled beasties (human and gas powered)... swimming, SCUBA. You know, all the expensive sports. ;)

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I'll find out what I do in 9 hours after I'm done with my sophomore year of nursing school! :p

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Hike; walk the dogs, hike with the dogs, go exploring (2,000 miles of dirt roads around where I work and live; have about 1/3rd checked out). Visit family (90miles away) travel

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
To get away from being retired, I babysit my granddaughter, teach the occasional volunteer or paid class, waste time on EMTLIFE, but the biggest thing is driving.

I love to drive, I have a very reliable 2004 Accord, and other than it is getting progressively lower to the ground (or I am having more trouble getting in and out with the years) it gets me where I want to go with tunes and A/C-heat, room for luggage or even a little cargo.

Although I only save about $30 versus SW Airline (forget Greyhound!), I prefer to drive from California's Central Valley to the Northwest (Portland mainly). Being midway between the Sierra Nevada Mountains and the Pacific (Lake Tahoe and San Francisco, respectively), a number of wine districts and the intricate Calif. delta, there's always somewhere new to go, or an old place to revisit.

I want a hybrid CRV though. Anyone in China, Thailand or Campuchea, see if you can pick me up one cheap? (just kidding).

Looking back, I can realize the excremento and strife I've lived through, so every minute I am doing what I want, and able to stop and chill at will, is golden.

frdude1000

Forum Captain
Swimming competitavely and power boating!

terrible one

Always wandering
You guys have a beach in Reno?

Skiing, wakeboarding, rock climbing, camping, hiking, 4 wheelin', beach, backpacking.

Motorcycles, Shooting, BMX, Wakeboarding, Snowboarding, Beach, Photography, Music, Running

I like to go to the beach, watch old tv shows, and help out my dad at his liquor store.....helps keep me from stressing out too much.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I do two things in order to take a break:

1) Fix cars
2) Work at the police dept

tslroper

Forum Ride Along
Best way for me to rewind is to wheel my jeep until it breaks then spend my time off for a week in the garage fixing it.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Best way for me to rewind is to wheel my jeep until it breaks then spend my time off for a week in the garage fixing it.

Rewind? Hehehehe.