What do you do to pass the time?

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
I'm sure we all go through the same check inventory and clean the rig if needed routine when you start your shift.

After that if you have a lot of down time, what do you guys and girls do to pass the time?

Anjel

Forum Angel
We are under status system management.

So while posting I sleep, do homework, make paracord bracelets, go shopping, play frisbee or catch, or pay games on my kindle or phone.

That being said we have been really busy. And not so much free time.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Catch up on sleep, Netflix, office work overflow.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We do a lot of people watching. It's terrible to say but anyone that comes within visual range is fair game.

Lately been doing a lot of studying protocols for my upcoming FTO period. When I say a lot, I mean a lot. I think my partner is getting tired of me asking him questions or to quiz me. Other than that you can find me sleeping or playing around on my phone, I try to read as well but it's tough to find books that really hold my attention, especially with the call volume we've been running lately, not much downtime.

I spend a lot of time goofing around with my partner I'm bummed that this is my last week with him, we have a lot of fun at work, I'm hoping that we can possibly ride dual medic for a bit if I make it through my FTO time but as it stands it looks like I'll be bright eyed and bushy tailed with a newish EMT rather than dual medic :blink: That'll be interesting seeing as I'm on track to be one of, if not the youngest medics on staff.

If I'm feeling real adventurous you might find me cleaning the rig seeing as a lot of crews let them get pretty nasty in the cab or doing our monthly bag checks.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Clean, clean, clean. And read.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
My shift is fairly slow usually so I make sure that the truck is pristine and organized just the way my partner and I like it. Lots of time it seems like I'm cleaning the day crews mess but oh well. I read a book or this forum a lot too.

mrg86

Forum Crew Member
The first company I worked for was quite slow, in a 10 hour shift we ran about 4-6 calls on average. We tried about every coffee shop in the area and tried to eat somewhere different every day. Needless to say the company closed the division and everyone got laid off.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
The first company I worked for was quite slow, in a 10 hour shift we ran about 4-6 calls on average. We tried about every coffee shop in the area and tried to eat somewhere different every day. Needless to say the company closed the division and everyone got laid off.

Ahh, those busy days of "posting" at Panera Bread, or at my house. :)

At my current service, we have daily training and chores to keep us busy. When that's done, most of the medics here are pursuing a BS or postgrad degree, so homework takes up a LOT of time.

Oh, and Battle Pirates on FB is huge here. I think every medic plays.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Well, after the usual daily duties, I can usually be found studying, or browsing the forums. However, I also pass the time by playing Xbox, watching Netflix, or just running around town.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Just got a 4 door dodge crew cab ambulance and the seats recline...so... sleeping and more sleeping!

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Not a whole lot of mention of training in here yet!

We set aside time every shift to train. It could be EMS scenarios, first due street familiarization, hoseline/ladder training, etc. Training is the best way to ensure that our skills stay sharp.

MexDefender

Forum Lieutenant
watch the news, sleep, clean, read, talk to the people in the ER (attached ems to hospital), and a lot of FreeCell.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The owners have decided that idling trucks waste fuel. They also realized that crews hate parking outside their base and idling their trucks.

Now I have a flat screen, wifi, and a recliner. Win.