What do you carry? - The mega thread

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
Ive been in EMS for 4 years and people tell me I carry too much, all I cary is my pager, cellphone, glove case and keys on my belt, then trauma shears and a roll of 1" tape in the convienient side pockets, along with 2-3 pens and a small notepad in case i need pt. info and i dont have a PCR handy, I also carry one of those plastic handles for turning on the O2 tanks if there is no knob, which has come in very handy...if i could think of anything else to carry then I would probably be carrying it...

jordanfstop

Forum Lieutenant
I carry many things on my person which I use a lot.

On my belt- Cell phone, two glove cases with six gloves total (yes, I've used all six before in one call,) trauma shears, radio, flashlight (when working nights.)

On my person- Pens, penlight (nobody carries one), field guide, personal scope, chapstick, face masks, cigarettes, red bags for vomit (better than saying "just turn your head and puke on your carpet, thanks,") O2 wrench, camera, wallet, and bandaids(they're more professional than telling a pt "here, hold this" [referring to the alcohol swabs] after taking their blood sugar.) And finally my EDP/stairchair/reeves/cold weather gloves. I don't really mind if I'm judged by the contents of my "buff belt." I think it's very ridiculous to think somebody is a crap/new/buff EMT because they have a lot of stuff on their belt. I don't let ego/self-image get in the way of immediate patient care ;) and the whole "it's in the bag" justification.

I don't like wearing the pocket pants (they aren't very professional looking, IMO) so I go with straight legged (my agency gives us the option between pocket pants and straight legged.) I wear a uniform pocket shirt all the time on duty so I have the room in there as well. Basically I carry what somebody always asks the crew "Hey, does anybody have ___ (gloves, shears, O2 wrench, red bag, penlight)?

Last edited by a moderator:

smvde

Forum Crew Member
In South West Georgia....

A nylon belt with velcro fastner for quick application at 3 am. Fully equipped with a Kershaw Black Horse II knife for the seat belts, Maglite Mini mag LED cause I always forget to grab a flashlight off the truck when I hit the scene, and my cellphone.
In the pockets, left leg pocket, smokes and pens.
right leg pocket, trauma shears
Wallet in the back.

Let the partner carry the radio, that way if he loses it, it don't come out of my pocket...

As for the newbie with the loaded belt, I know medics with many many years of service that would shame a newbie with the stuff they carry on their belts.
Some folks are just gadget people...

Grady County, the training grounds.......

JPINFV

Gadfly
When I was working on the ambulance the only thing I had on my belt was my pager and a pair of shears. My cell phone just sat around in either my pants pocket or my shirt pocket. Besides that, I carried a few protocols that I knew I was going to get into arguments either from partners (county DNR policy to be specific. Even though we ran a lot of DNR/hospice calls, it's amazing how few people actually knew the protocol and the protocol was much more than just having a signed DNR form) or ER nurses (not calling for paramedics due to short transport time).

I also worked two summers as an EMT-B at a waterpark. There were required to wear a fanny pack as well as a 2-way radio. Anyone who was required to be first aid/CPR certified was required to have a fanny pack (off the top of my head, it was the aquitic supervisors, life guards, security, first aid) with at least a glove/gauze pack (only first aid was "allowed" to have band aids for liability reasons) and a CPR mask, but other things could be added PRN and first aid had a whole stock room to stuff ours with.

fireelfnremtp

Forum Ride Along
Maybe too much?

I usually have a glove pouch, my cell phone, a portable radio and a leather holster (trauma scissors, bandage scissors, hemostat, leatherman, mini-mag light, center punch and carpulject/tubex holder. We will not even discuss the pockets. LOL

laina66

Forum Crew Member
because i like to be prepared for anything... ha

on my belt: cell phone, pager, glove pouch w/ 3 pair gloves, mini maglite, about 600 keys that jingle everywhere i go.
pockets: more gloves, wallet, tissues, actual warm gloves (in the winter obv), 2 pens, a penlight, tauma shears, a roll of medi tape, purell, a cpr microshield, a contact list of all members, random paperwork, agenda.

and i actualy have used almost all of it.
excet the microshield...but just got that haha

and gum of course...because i chain chew. it's terrible.

TheAfterAffect

Forum Lieutenant
The first medic I see carrying a weapon (knife or gun) gets to go home...
I don't care if they have a permit, license, bonded etc...

I leave the shots fired to the professional (SWAT) etc. and they only have about an 85% accuracy while under pressure.

R/r 911

I may have missed an answer, as when I saw this I wanted to question. You mean you do not carry any sort of Knife on you at all? I make sure to carry a nice Smith And Wesson knife on me at all times, Whether on EMS or just walking around town. Not for protection but that I do use it for alot of things, Cutting mainly, but yeah, Ive used it to screw stuff in or open packages etc.

MikeRi24

Forum Crew Member
well, the pants that we are given to wear have a lot of really huge cargo pockets on them, I tend to make use of the pockts and keep as much as I can of my belt.

On my belt, I have a mini-maglight, and an Extrik 8-R tool made by COllumbia Knife and Tool. It's a simple took, pretty small, and it has a window punch, seatbelt cutter (works REALLY rell for cutting through clothing, dennim, leather, whatever else, its quicker and cuts far better than any trauma shears).
MOCR2051.jpg

and I usually carry a clip for the portable radio.

in my cargo pockets, I keep a pair of trauma shears, a roll of tape secured to one of the loops, an EMS Feild guide, my knife, and some extra pens. The other large pocket i usually keep stuffed with extra pairs of gloves.

oh and before anyone says anything, the "knife" I have is a Swiss Army knife, which I have more or less for the the other stuff on it besides the knife.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
You know I have been on working on the streets longer than most of you have been alive. I have yet seen where I had to use a knife out of the literally thousands of MVA's I have worked. I only remember cutting a seatbelt twice in the past 31 years and then it was easily cut with my trauma shears the same as with any type of clothes, leathers, etc..

The same with all the other crap most carry. Sorry, if you jingle, and waddle as you enter, you need to learn critical thinking skills. I literary have only the radio clip holder on my belt ... that's it. Even then I wish we were not required to wear one. I don't need to look like a janitor.

Personally, there should be very few sharp objects within reach of most. I much prefer to be able to run if need be and as well be comfortable in kneeling, moving around.

R/r 911

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
What do you carry on your belt?

Normally on my belt is just radio and cell phone. When working or first on scene while voluntering I carry a fanny pack with basic first-aid supplys in it. I dont like things in my way. By the way I have been around for about 28years and I do carry a knife in my pocket I have used it for seatbelts as well as smaller wires and rubber sealing gaskets after I have thrown my shears which tend to get hung up while crawling through mangled up cars. It is easier to position yourself near the local whacker and grab stuff off of their supply closet than to carry it yourself. The radio and phone usually come off to be stored in the truck during mvas as well same reason anything that gets in my way is a hinderance.

MikeRi24

Forum Crew Member
You know I have been on working on the streets longer than most of you have been alive. I have yet seen where I had to use a knife out of the literally thousands of MVA's I have worked. I only remember cutting a seatbelt twice in the past 31 years and then it was easily cut with my trauma shears the same as with any type of clothes, leathers, etc..

The same with all the other crap most carry. Sorry, if you jingle, and waddle as you enter, you need to learn critical thinking skills. I literary have only the radio clip holder on my belt ... that's it. Even then I wish we were not required to wear one. I don't need to look like a janitor.

Personally, there should be very few sharp objects within reach of most. I much prefer to be able to run if need be and as well be comfortable in kneeling, moving around.

R/r 911

you're probably right, i probably will never use it it to cut anything. although I must say, that people at my place are very good about losing the O2 wrenches that are supplied on the ambulances, and I've used the "rescue tool" (of you want to call it that) quite frequently for the O2 wrench on it. its pretty small, maybe 3" by 1.5" and i dont even notice it on my belt....its there for the occasional O2 tank and whatever else should i need it.

smvde

Forum Crew Member
Having spent time in the military as a combat life saver, wearing all the required battle rattle, I try to limit my gear to the neccesities. Having said that, I still carry a knife, which has sliced a many seatbelt, and is a great tool to have. It is a tool, not a weapon, could be used as a weapon granted, but for me a tool.
There are plenty of other objects available for use by a perp or deranged patient for weapons, so why deny myself a tool I use frequently.
Remember the basic tenent of EMS, SCENE SAFETY AND SITUATION AWARENESS.

Just one man's opinion...

nodirt

Forum Ride Along
Hmm.. On my belt would be my cell phone and glove pouch. Pockets are a different story lol. Shears, 1in tape, keys, wallet, chapstick, smokes, receipts and no cash.. yatta yatta :p

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant
----EMS company----(ride alongs)
-Cellphone (Belt)
-Penlight (pocket)
-E&CC pocket guide (pocket)
-Stethescope (neck)
-Sticky papers (pocket)

----VFD----
-Cellphone
-Pager
-E&CC pocket guide
-Stethescope
-Sticky papers
-Extra pair of gloves
-Trauma sheers

Webster

Forum Crew Member
Belt-
phone only (usually)

Pockets (I wear EMS pants)
trauma shears
penlight
wallet
Gerber Pocketknife

russ899

Forum Probie
Carry minimal, as it may go missing or just get in the way

Multi Tool
Gloves
Pupil torch
Cell Phone
Radio
Pager

How ever if Im in the mood, I have a moon bag (waist bag) with the following

Multi Tool
Gloves
Pupil torch
Cell Phone
Radio
Pocket Guide
Stethescope
Trauma Shears
Artery Forcepts
Small Writing Pad
Trauma Pad

"At least there is someone on the site that is a few years longer than me in EMS".

Katie

Forum Lieutenant
wow O.O I really don't carry anything on my belt. My dad got my a knife and a case for my phone both of which are meant to go on my belt but I found that they just get in the way. In the end I just put my phone in my pocket along with anything else I feel I need to carry (pen, shears, penlight, gloves). The rest is in the bag I carry in with me including the paper to take notes on.

Maybe I should add a few things?

Emt /b/

Forum Crew Member
On my belt, my cell phone.

In my pockets, a pen, field guide, gum, wallet, chapstick, pocket knife, and a small pad of paper.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
today is the four year anniversary of this threads creation. having reviewed it i have come to the following conclusion. there are three groups of people that this topic covers:

the minimalist: carries the bare minimum as they see it to survive and expect everything else to be provided by the ambulance.

the moderate: carries equipment as required by their employer plus a few personal items but keeps it very minimal.

the extremist: carries everything but the truck with them at all times. carries items that are outside their scope just in case someone else needs them. will eventually become either a moderate or minimalist.

every time this thread drops off the radar, its brought back to life by someone(usually with a post count less than the number of toes on their left foot) and rehashed by all; always coming to the same conclusion. the minimalists think the extremists are whackers. the extremists think the minimalists are under prepared and the moderates think both other groups are nuts. no new information will ever come of this topic.

it is in that light that i recommend that this thread be nobly and humbly taken out back, tied to a tree and shot. it is on this the fourth anniversary of this seemingly immortal thread that i feel that no more information could be shared.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
. it is on this the fourth anniversary of this seemingly immortal thread that i feel that no more information could be shared.

I carry a paramedic on my belt just in case the call needs to go ALS.