What do I need?

medman123

Forum Lieutenant
Can some one list what a new EMT might need to buy to be the best he/she can be. I would like to know every thing from the best clothing to the best gadgets to make your job just a bit easer.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Everything in the Galls catalog. An AED. An O2 delivery set. Backboards. C-Collars.

Actually... don't buy anything until you get a job. Then buy what they tell you that you need for the job. After a few months you'll figure out what you really need.

bigcountryEMS32

Forum Probie
I agree most things you will need will be with the unit you're with. Just FYI though, I did buy my own stethoscope and blood pressure kit. I also have a CPR kit with a one way valve pocket mask, that I also keep some PPE in. Just in case of emergencies I might run into. When I'm with the unit they supply everything I need. So welcome to EMS and I hope that helps.. I just finished EMT-B class and will take my State test next week...so I'm just getting my feet wet also.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hal9000

Forum Captain
Your work should supply the ambulance and equipment that you need. A decent stethoscope could be one addition if you can't hear well on the ones they give you. One service I work for provides decent Littmans, so I never had to buy anything.

Anyway, depends on the service you work for. The same service that provided the great stethoscope provided a shoddy belt but I had my personal ones so it was fine.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Stethescope and BP kit incase the one in the ambulance is leaky, like a lot of them are. Pens, pencils, pen light. And that's it.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
a fully loaded ambulance

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
....actually... Don't buy anything until you get a job. Then buy what they tell you that you need for the job. After a few months you'll figure out what you really need.

best advice ever!

Vizior

Forum Crew Member
I second the opinion to wait... for my primary EMS job I have:

a nice pair of boots
comfortable undergarments
a stethoscope(they don't supply one)
a watch with second hand
pens and paper

I wouldn't worry about fancy pants or anything until after you try out whatever you've been issued. Good luck.