What do I need to be more than a Basic EMT?

OhItzJimmy

Forum Crew Member
I live in Los Angeles County and am currently a EMT-B, What other training or certificates should I get to better myself? I would like to be a ER Tech and eventually a Paramedic.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
The local Paramedic schools all pretty much require experience on an ambulance as an EMT...I was looking at Mt SAC, they want 6 months on a 911 ambulance, ER Tech time doesn't even count. AMR and Schaefer do 911 and hire brand new EMTs, also look at Care and McCormick, though the commutes are longer....but anyway, once you're hired and working towards the time requirement, take some college A&P classes on the side at one of the CCs should help a lot.

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
Expand your horizons. I would leave Los Angeles County to get experience if possible. It might seem harsh, but if you want experience, and a way to learn on the job, go to a neighboring county where you can be on a 911 ALS rig. Riverside County, San Bernardino County, Kern County, etc will all let you get 911 experience on an ALS rig. If that is not an option, as other posters have said, try with one of the BLS 911 companies in LA county. Start learning and excelling at being an EMT. Constantly review what you learned in EMT school. The key to being a good paramedic is being a good EMT. (BLS before ALS)

The paramedic programs in other counties are also less competitive to get into, but still have high National Registry first time pass rates. (Where I went in Bakersfield has one of the highest in CA.) The programs in LA are no better or worse than other programs in other counties. Just because 500 people apply for a class and they have a lottery system or point system or give preference to big red does not make them better. It is simply because LA has 8 million people and only 4 paramedic programs.

Anatomy, Paramedic Prep, a ECG class can all help increase your knowledge base.