What defines a high volume/busy system?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
We routinely run UHUs of .75-.85, the highest I've ever had mine was north of a 1.1. Pretty ridiculous. It's not just once in a while either, it's every day, all day, everyone gets their butts kicked.
using rough numbers that I just caluculated, we are are a UHu of about 1.331811263

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
using rough numbers that I just caluculated, we are are a UHu of about 1.331811263

:censored::censored::censored::censored: that.

No thank you. That's arguably unsafe when you compare it to other driving jobs regulated by the DOT.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Sometimes "high volume" is simply code for "urban/local metro." In those areas, you'll see job ads that basically advertise that. What they're looking for are people that know how to work fast because their transport times are short and there's going to be another call for them very quickly/soon. When I first started in the field, in a 12 hour day, I'd typically do 8 calls. Considering that each call lasted about 75 minutes on average. I got good at doing calls a bit quicker than that without compromising patient care. When I did my internship with the local fire department, we averaged something like 14 calls/day. Only 2-3 of those were at night. Because our first-in area was so small and we had many hospitals nearby, we could usually be back at the station in about 40-45 minutes. So, yeah, during the daytime, the system out here was (and still is) definitely high volume. The acuity level? Meh. We did see lots of sick patients, but that's because we saw lots of patients...

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
We have a 911 company who say they are a busy system. They do 24 hour shifts and average maybe 2-3 calls in that time.

I personally consider that a pretty slow system. We average 5-6 in 12 hours which I consider busy. My old unit averaged 10-11 in a 12 hour shift, that was suicide.

DHS? I know our UHU's in Hemet are very high, part of which has to do with the low number of units staffed versus call volume. We average 6-8 in 12 hours, it's not unusual for HFD's engines to run 20-25 medical responses in 24 hours.