what a call....

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
dispatched to apt building for M pt c/o abd pain s/p surgeory. o/a found 56y/o M pt supine on floor. pt CAOx1, cool pale and diaphoretic. sig other states he recently had his 11th abdominal surgeory(unable to elaborate). she was napping on the couch, and awoke to find him in current state. vs on scene: 90/50, pr 110, rr12. pt > lb with c-spine and secured. lb > stretcher and into the elev we go. me and the medic are discussing wheat we are going to do from here( iv o2 monitor etc) just dividing up the work. this is where things go sideways. two thing happened silmultaneously. 1) the elevator got stuck between two floors. 2) i looked over at the pt and noticed there was minimal, if any chest rise. after exchanging "oh s h i t" looks, we reevaluated. pulseless and apneic.

elevator unsticks and we run through the lobby into the rig. call for another truck. asystole on the monitor. begin cpr. medic goes to intubate. unknowingly nails the esophagus. when we go to check placement with the bag and etco2, two breaths and he volcanos an absolkutely ridiculous amout of blood from his stomach. right out of the tube over everything. two more attempts at eti with no sucess. so now im bagging, suctioning and compressing while the medic searched for a line.

seconde truck shows up. one really strong basic whom ive worked with for some time and a second day rook. rook drives, other b with my. so now i have the airway and giving directions to the driver. other b has compressions and -p spend the rest of the ride<5min attempting iv access s sucess.

o/a at H, pt > bed and code team goes to work. still asystolic. er doc cat tube either. resp ther ends up getting it. still cant get peropg iv so they go with a fem cutdown. first round of drugs delivered at 50min down, asystolic the whole time.

VinBin

Forum Captain
wow, that was a damn intense call.

on a somewhat random note, what happens if you guys get blood/dirt on your shirt/pants (or whats service policy)?

OP
OP
KEVD18

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
some companies will outright replace your tainted gear.

some will have it prof cleaned at their expense for you

some(mine) will treat it as "your uniform, your problem"

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
the "oh-:censored::censored::censored::censored: meter" went through the roof on that call didn't it

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
the "oh-:censored::censored::censored::censored: meter" went through the roof on that call didn't it
Ditto. I was afraid it was just going to keep getting worse and worse... and it did.

OP
OP
KEVD18

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
yeah i liken that call to the process of a nuclear bomb detonating. the whole process is over before the first wave of energy has left the bomb case. all that is left is the disposition of the produced energy.

that guy was dead before i even got the call.

hockeypaul81

Forum Probie
did you ever follow up with the ER staff to figure out what got him and why he was bleeding out into his stomach? Did the medic ever try to find an EJ before the sh** hit the fan? Do y'all not have IO/Easy IO?

AndiBugg

Forum Crew Member
This is where Murphys Law falls into place, Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong... at the worst possible moment, and in the worst possible way lol. No two calls are ever alike. My ex used to tell ppl if they ever thought about doing drugs, pass it up and get a job in EMS, it gives you a high like no drug ever could. Sorry they didnt make it. Did you ever find out what caused it?

OP
OP
KEVD18

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
ej wasnt atempted. guy was way to fat. the er doc tried and failed, which actually made my medic feel ok about not trying.

no ezio. were supposed to have the regular io and i dont have an answer as to why that wasnt done. its entirely possible we dont have one though.